What were your standards before Head-Fi??
Oct 15, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #77 of 113
I've been a home audiofool for 30 yrs, so always had pretty high aspirations

Got shure iems a long time ago and the ety4s when it came out. And some of the early headroom headphone amps

Just recently getting into home cans for family reasons and have found head-fi to be a great resource

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #78 of 113
In the past I had had a Creative Zen Xtra (awesome EQ options, awesome sound quality) with CX300s. Then moved to Cowon A2 (almost as good SQ as the X5) with KSC75s...

Currently, I have a Cowon D2 and broken MylarOne X3s XD
Looks like I (until I decide between im716, UM1, and SF3) am actually in a worse place as far as audio (seeing as I lost my KSC75s).

Dec 27, 2007 at 6:55 AM Post #79 of 113
I did alright before Head-Fi. I've always been interested in good sound, so I owned Sony MDR-V6s for about 10 years and used them all the time. They weren't cheap (by normal person standards) and I knew they were studio phones for radio stations and recording. When I got an iPod, I didn't like the iBuds and picked up a pair of Shure e3cs to compliment it. I liked those, too.

But in December 2005, I got the Audio Advisor catalog and the HD-650 caught my eye. I pulled the trigger on one and a Creek OBH-11. I liked that setup a whole lot and listened to it for hours. Then I started to wonder if anyone else liked that sort of thing and ran a few Google searches. Do I need to tell anyone what I found?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #81 of 113
For me, my standard was the Sony MDR-V600DJ's and bass boosted eq. I like bass.

Of all the places, I was on a bodybuilding forum a few years ago and a person asked for recommendations for headphones to use in the gym(Having been a gym rat I could see the need for a good pair of headphones to wear when working out.) and one of the people there said to look here.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #86 of 113
Somehow, I stumbled upon Futuresonics before I found Head-Fi, and I bought a pair of EM3s for $99 and added custom sleeves that cost another $185!!! Of course, the EM3s were okay, but hardly worth the added custom sleeves.

Anyway, I had the right idea, bad execution. Now I have an old pair of custom silicone sleeves that don't really work with any of my phones (they do fit the Atrios, but to me, they really ruin the sound sig).

Anyway, I had some standards, I just didn't know what they were at the time. Finding Head-Fi helped me much, especially on the amp side.

Dec 27, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #87 of 113
before head-fi I had some Hd-430's but they were abit worn out so I wanted to check the HD-650's were any good :p

if you think the hd-650's are hard to drive the 430's took an extra 1/2 a turn of volume dial to get to anywhere near the same volume .

Dec 27, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #89 of 113
Before Headfi I'm busy with my full separates rig and due to the fact that the nature of my work is far from my home land so I decided to set up my portable rig. Now enjoying my MS2i driven by Hornet which gives me pleasure and relaxation not missing so much my full rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back