What were your standards before Head-Fi??
Oct 12, 2007 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 113

The_X

1000+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to let the world know that I just dropped $300 on a set E500PTH's... I realize this is a lot less than what some of you guys spend but wow, this is way more than I ever thought I would.

I remember maybe 7 years ago reading IGN Gear's review of the EX-70SL and thinking, "What who would pay $60 for headphones?!". That was back when I had the sweet iRiver iMP-150 (still loving my iMP-400!) and was drooling over the first-gen iPod. I had a set of Aiwa HP-VX100's which were absolutely awful but were cheaper than the EX-70 and *looked* similar. I also remember drooling over the Sony D66 Eggos on Audiocubes for a long time. I got the MDR-V150's because I thought they looked cool... BIG mistake. I eventually spent $30 for the PX100 on Head-Fi and that's where it really began.

Now 7 years later, I've been through 4 iPods, two MuVo's, an iHP-120, X5, SR60's, countless pairs of KSC-75/35's, ER-6i's, ER-4p's, and many, many other setups. I will never forget the feeling of opening up my first iPod (the original 20gb U2 edition) or hearing my ER-6i's for the first time. I sold off all my higher-end equipment at the beginning of the summer, thinking I would get out of Head-Fi.

Now I'm back with a vengeance. Got a refurb WootZune coming in tomorrow, and hoping my E500's come in soon! So what's everyone else's story before discovering headphones? And also, what were some of the memorable moments you've had in this hobby?

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 113
Mine were pretty high, actually. I looked at Amazon reviews for hours one night and decided on Koss KSC35s for portable usage, and I already had my Sennheiser HD280 Pros. I know that some would scoff at me calling those "high standards", but this was before I even discovered Head-Fi, and the sound in Sennheiser HD280 Pros and Koss KSC35s is higher than what most people ever reach for.

Right now, I'm looking at having a Cowon D2 (just got it, it's amazing) and some Yuin PK3s (should arrive on Monday). Hopefully, this will be sufficient for awhile.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 113
Before Head-Fi I had the following rigs:
* Portable -> 3G iPod and iBuds
* Home -> Computer and Grado SR-80

---and look where I am now!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #5 of 113
Before head-fi I just had my computer, an ipod and SR-125's and EX71SLs with a pocket CMOY.

The RS-1s and RS-2's seemed like fantasy headphones way out of reach...

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 113
Mine were still relatively high, just that it was speaker-fi that I was doing:

Joseph Audio RM7si Signature speakers
Anthem Int-1 integrated amp
99 Ah-Tjoeb cd player

Not great, but awfully good. The synergy between the Int-1 and JA's is amazing.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 113
In my case it was (and still is) lack of moolah. But I before Head-Fi, I was using a $10 pair of Sony earbuds, and now I'm up to the PX100. I still feel the tug at my wallet, though. And worse yet, wonder "just how much better" that $xxx pair of headphones sounds. Ah, Head-fi...

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 113
I remember when I first came here, I was excited to get the best headphone for the money, but then I discovered that many of those cans need an amp, which I DEFINITELY didn't want to spend money on. Few months later of reading here, and my first amp costed $$$ lol. But it's all worth it...music has never sounded so good to me.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 113
Mine were; and still are; my speaker system.

My phones are almost as good. Maybe a better amp will get me there. Maybe.

....maybe not.

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 113
im not going to lie, it wasnt anything like now, its a journey after all, but i always liked high quality kit just as much as the next guy, and have always bought the best of what was available at the time in my limited sphere of knowledge.

i would always save up and go into tandy and buy the most expensive pair of phones i could, cause i was always really into my walkmans, i was the walkman boy who always had the latest slimmest unit, even did the old trick of running the headphone cords down my sleeves/arms and so the bud was clasped in my palm and could be raised to the ear in class without teacher seeing
very_evil_smiley.gif
. thats about it really....the rest is history
smily_headphones1.gif

never was an academic!

Oct 12, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #14 of 113
Before head-fi I had a pair of Sony V6's for closed phones for work, and a pair of Senn 590s at home.

Now I have 2 iBasso D1's, the Sony's were given away to my son, and I have added the following additions:

BeyerDynamic DT770, DT990, AKG K701, AKG K271.

So I'd say I am moving up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back