What was your Lo Fi Moment!
Jun 28, 2011 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
      I would first like to say a hearty hello to all the Head-Fi community!.  It is easy to find great information in this community and it helps in our addiction however there is no such thing as being perfect on your Phone purchases..

My question?   When was your LO Fi moment. The time when you get a piece of junk in the box and had to return immediately moment.??.. I think it would be a fun topic to discuss because I bet all of us had em at one point or another. So lo fi quality that we had to throw it to your favorite nephew for free on their birthday. You know what I am talking about.. !

For me it was a purchase of a Panasonic RP-DJ600..I got this and my Kicker HD541 DJ cans.. So I was Very impressed with the kickers and then the Panasonics arrive.  Immediately I was happy to see it there but at this point I was all smiles with the kickers.. and I open the box to see a all cheaply made all plastic toy like RP-DJ600. I was thinking since there wasn't much to read reviews on the phones I figured I would try em for the cheap price. The sound was so horrid I had to throw it back immediately. It was my first real boot...I am mostly lucky in getting new phones except for this one... This one was a turd...!

Jun 28, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 20
LoFi and HiFi are actually the same thing

One doesn't mean less of the other

I produce music in LoFi, because I have neither the equipment or the people who will pay for HiFi since I do not use that equipment. A lot of artist produce LoFi as a "4 track" demo Cd and after a while when they have enough $$$, the produce HiFi

But I get what you mean

I got my Fostex T50RP and heard them for the first time, I was pissed.

But after 4 hours, I loved them, and it's been that way for a while.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:
LoFi and HiFi are actually the same thing

One doesn't mean less of the other

I produce music in LoFi, because I have neither the equipment or the people who will pay for HiFi since I do not use that equipment. A lot of artist produce LoFi as a "4 track" demo Cd and after a while when they have enough $$$, the produce HiFi

But I get what you mean

I got my Fostex T50RP and heard them for the first time, I was pissed.

But after 4 hours, I loved them, and it's been that way for a while.

Still sometimes pissed off at my Fostex T 20rp. My T 50 rp will be here next week. I am ready to be pissed ....for a few days only, hopefully.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:

Still sometimes pissed off at my Fostex T 20rp. My T 50 rp will be here next week. I am ready to be pissed ....for a few days only, hopefully.

Take my word, close off all your other headphones and only listen to the T50Rp's for a week without any other contact. It'll tkae 4-8 hours for a short burn, 20 hours for entire burn.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 20

Quote:
Take my word, close off all your other headphones and only listen to the T50Rp's for a week without any other contact. It'll tkae 4-8 hours for a short burn, 20 hours for entire burn.

Good to know. Thanks.  The T 20rp do not sound good at low volume. AC/DC sounds like crap unless I push the volume to around 11 o'clock on my integrated. Othewise, muffled.....

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 20
Jun 28, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 20
I believe I did. I wanted the T50rp a while back but they either were discontinued or out of stock. B & H starts to stock them .

Yes, Brian's vocal sounds like someone got his balls ....you know what I meant....still I like them.

All joking aside, The T 20rp are a bit muffled not veiled but muffled that I have no choice but using the tone control which I do not like to do.... but what the heck, a small boost in treble will not kill the cans but rather enjoyable.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 20

Quote:
Brothers in arms by Dire Straits sounds dammned good.

Listening.....

meh

Try Rodrigo y Gabriela, Orion

Oh yes, this is nice

Also:

Everlast, Ends

This Cd was stuck in my father's cd player growing up, and it's all we listened to because it couldn't go to the radio. After the 100000000 time listening, this is the best quality I have heard them through the T50RP

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #10 of 20
Back to the OP -
My fist low quality headphone moment was after I purchased the Sharper Image quiet place noise canceling headphones. They used to retail for $150 or so but I thought I got a killer deal when I got them for $60 when Sharper Image was doing a huge sale before closing. While the silencing technology definitely worked well, the sound was not...any music played sounded like it was a mile away, even at high volume. Only good part of the purchase I guess is that now I have a pretty nice band and ear pads that I might be able to mod onto some other set of headphones.

Quote:
      I would first like to say a hearty hello to all the Head-Fi community!.  It is easy to find great information in this community and it helps in our addiction however there is no such thing as being perfect on your Phone purchases..

My question?   When was your LO Fi moment. The time when you get a piece of junk in the box and had to return immediately moment.??.. I think it would be a fun topic to discuss because I bet all of us had em at one point or another. So lo fi quality that we had to throw it to your favorite nephew for free on their birthday. You know what I am talking about.. !

For me it was a purchase of a Panasonic RP-DJ600..I got this and my Kicker HD541 DJ cans.. So I was Very impressed with the kickers and then the Panasonics arrive.  Immediately I was happy to see it there but at this point I was all smiles with the kickers.. and I open the box to see a all cheaply made all plastic toy like RP-DJ600. I was thinking since there wasn't much to read reviews on the phones I figured I would try em for the cheap price. The sound was so horrid I had to throw it back immediately. It was my first real boot...I am mostly lucky in getting new phones except for this one... This one was a turd...!

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 20
I listened to my sister's " iLuv " earphones. I'm not sure if there was a midrange or treble. I think there was only bass coming out of those things. It basically sounded like someone took a knife and stabbed the midrange and tweeter speaker in a home speaker setup.

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #12 of 20
I was expecting a lo-fi moment with brand new K701's today.  But because I drove them properly, without burn-in they're already something really special.  

My biggest lo-fi moment was probably the first time listening to AD700's when all I had owned before that were M50's.  I didn't understand how sound signatures could be so different.  It also didn't fit my head at all, and cried out for the phat-pad mod.  It never clicked with me but was amazing for gaming (just sold it to my girlfriends younger brother... still needs to pay me *AHEM* Alex if you're reading this... pay up brosky 
wink_face.gif
 )

Jun 29, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 20
- K701 was What
- 530 vs 535 --> I would have assumed they would have improved the sound, but not much difference --> disappointed
- most portable amps. .
- (Not to be a Monster hater [I'm really not
smile_phones.gif
]) ---> I walked into a store and heard their portable version? It was white/red I think... it was also pretty What and a guy right next to me was going to the checkout with the box . . lolol
- HD650 wasn't really my style . .
- I forget the manufacturer but it was a near-field studio monitor was pretty disappointed
- Bang and Olufsen's earphone was disappointing to say the least, it looked pretty classy but the sound doesn't do the design justice

on a better note

- sony ex32 surprised me
- cowon e2 surprised me
- dt990 @600ohm was unexpectedly good
- um3x surpised me
- computer connected swans were pretty surprising as well

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 20
My JVC Marshmallows.

I used them at the gym for a couple of years...this was some time before I got into high quality headphones. By the time I started using better headphones, I kind of stopped listening to music at the gym also because I got a workout buddy and we'd chat. Then recently, I started running more, so started decided to break out my Marshmallows again to use on the treadmill. Let's just say that they sounded so bad that I didn't last a song. Bass was extremely muddy and boomy and the vocals sounded like garbage. Treble sparkle was also nonexistent. This was what prompted me to buy the TF10s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back