What was your first headphone purchase after coming to Head-Fi?
Jun 25, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #678 of 911
Quote:
^ wow.... talk about fast pace (sry about ur wallet)

At least he didn't buy an Orpheus
normal_smile .gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #681 of 911
HD600 + Little Dot Mk III

:xf_eek:

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #682 of 911
"worth it" is a very relative term :wink:

One could argue anything over $100 is probably not worth it, but then again there are a lot of worse things you could spend your hard earned cash on than a hobby you really enjoy :)

As for an Orpheus worth it to me?
I don't know, like I said, I was unable to get one to audition properly, and the differences between say the HD800 and SR-009 are pretty marginal, yet represent a pretty steep price jump. I expect there to be even less of a difference between the SR-009 and the HE-90...

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #684 of 911
Quote:
"worth it" is a very relative term
wink.gif

One could argue anything over $100 is probably not worth it, but then again there are a lot of worse things you could spend your hard earned cash on than a hobby you really enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

As for an Orpheus worth it to me?
I don't know, like I said, I was unable to get one to audition properly, and the differences between say the HD800 and SR-009 are pretty marginal, yet represent a pretty steep price jump. I expect there to be even less of a difference between the SR-009 and the HE-90...

You would most likely actually notice more of a difference (like that difference or not) for the simple fact that the Orpheus doesn't aim for technical perfection as the HD800 and SR-009 do, but more of a musical sound.  The difference is definitely not worth the $15,000 premium over the SR-009, however.

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #685 of 911
You would most likely actually notice more of a difference (like that difference or not) for the simple fact that the Orpheus doesn't aim for technical perfection as the HD800 and SR-009 do, but more of a musical sound.  The difference is definitely not worth the $15,000 premium over the SR-009, however.

Ah, I find myself not liking those very "musical" cans/amps/dacs since I listen to a lot of various types of music, so that's actually comforting to know :)

Jun 25, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #688 of 911
I didn't even know this place existed until after I had bought almost all my stuff. The only web-site I knew of that had anything to do with headphones was Headphone.com, so the customer comments on there and on amazon were pretty much what I based all my purchases on. To answer the question though, it would be a Grado SR225i headphone and a HiFiman EF2a dac/amp. I already had my HD580/HD600 and Headroom Max before that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back