What to do.... recable FX500s / buy new FX500s vs. upgrade to FX700s vs. Ortofon e-Q7 or others? (omg the choices! >.<)
May 14, 2010 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

chinesekiwi

Headphoneus Supremus
So unfortunately my FX500's has suffer a snap in the cable near the right side connection today = rather annoying but hey, good excuse to push up that upgrade I was planning anyway.
I was planning to to upgrade to FX700s, however the Ortofon e-Q7 has intrigued me. I love the bass of the FX500's, however it can be overpowering for some songs at times and I've had BA IEM's in the Apple In-Ear Headphones (ADDIEMs) before so I know the sound of both BA's and dynamics however I have read the the e-Q7 is different sounding as it's a 'moving armature'. I like a balanced sounding sound signature, but if there was to be an 'unbalance', it would be in the bass.

There's a $10 NZD ($7 USD) difference between them for me so really the price difference isn't an issue here.

The Earsonics SM3 is out of my budget unfortunately despite the good exchange rate to the Euro at the moment. 
Another option is to say recable my FX500's with say mogami wire for relative cheap...
Porblem is that the FX500 look hard to disassemble.

This is really the max I am willing to spend on earphones as I prefer my cash to be spent on my 'home rig'.
I realise that the FX700 will probably have greater timbre as it's a wooden driver however it there isn't that much of a difference in timbre between them.
As much as I would consider the Monster Turbine Pro Coppers, value wise I don't feel it's as good as these two.
Soundstage is a non-issue (thanks to Rockbox crossfeed settings set properly), microphonics is a non-issue as well.
I have medium sized earcanals if that matters as well.
I have some Head-Direct eartips + defiltered the FX500 which really does help bring out the FX500's mids tbh and I do not feel that they are that recessed at all with these mods.
The mids far less recessed than stock with these mods.

Help me!

May 15, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 13
As much as you've enjoyed the FX500, I say, go for the recable, as many FX500's have been sold, you're bound to find some hwlp with that recable. Since you'd rather spend cash on your home rig.
I say, just continue to enjoy the FX500, The Orto's may not be your cup of tea, they don't sound like the FX500 at all.   FX 700, I've not yet heard. My 2 cents.

May 15, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 13
I really don't mid a balanced 'reference' sound at all as my home rig = exactly that. I was going to eventually upgrade my FX500's anyway.
The mods fixes the mids but doesn't get rid of what Shizgeo called 'treble on 11' problem with the FX500s. Timbre is important to me but not at the expense of big unbalances in the sound.
Lots of positive aspects of both. I do have a rather balanced but fun sounding source as well (Rockbox'ed Sansa Fuze). I have got my Head-Direct eartips which may fix any issue with the recessed mids of the FX700's as well....
I like lots of detail as well, but not at the expense of musicality (thus why for example I opted for the DT880/600 over the more detail but colder sounding Sony SA5000).

>.<

May 15, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, you may just like the eq7 then. It's balanced, not bass light, and a nice build. The only thing I can say that is negative (not for me) the mids are just a tad forward, and the very upper treble is rolled off, however, the treble that is there, is pretty darn good. And of course to me.....they are just a bit fun.
Just be ready to work for the best fit for the best presentation. Sorry I can't speak on the FX700, like you all I've done is read about them. I've had a few owners tell me the upper treble on the FX700 was not quite realistic. And a few say the treble on the orto's is grainy, but I don't hear it that way.
Both the FX700 and EQ7 seem to be among the best at that price point.
Have you seen the reviews/comments on the Radius HP-TWF11 Pro? Shigzeo and many other are quite smitten with the sound, but the fit and a few other issues seem to concern many. Not sure what it would cost in your part of the world, but it's like 160 USD. The DBA-02 also looks promising, and is also about 160 USD + shipping. I don't think any of these phones would be cold sounding.
Of course, I have a feeling that the FX700 might be your "safest" bet.  Good luck Deciding (It's half the fun for me)

May 15, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #8 of 13
I recently picked up a pair of Grado GR8's, which have a very similar driver design to the e-Q7.  I really like switching between them and my RS1i's - a different sound, but very pleasant.  In most of the reviews I've read around here, people prefer the e-Q7.  I'd say that deal you have available to you is a very good one.   Sorry about your wallet.

- Ed

May 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm proud to own a new pair of Sure SE-530 and would like to share the experience/fun with them !

May 16, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 13
e-Q7 does seems to suit your taste since you stated you wanted a balance and detailed earphone but I still think you would be safer with the fx700 as you would be more familiar with its sound signature but if you wanted something different go for the e-Q7.

May 16, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 13
As someone who loves the e-Q7 very much and thinks it's wonderful (and the best reproduction of drums and percussion I have yet to hear from an IEM), I enjoy the FX700 more. It has edged out my Orto and Miles Davis as my favorite IEM (headphone) period. Just overall it does so many things right for me. You can't go wrong with either the Orto or the Fx700, but for me right now the FX700 is just glorious! Sorry I have never heard the FX500 to make a comparison.

May 16, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #13 of 13
well i assume recableing will cont very little so how about you have a bash with that, if you want to save cash for your home set up that seems the best course to me.  if you dead set on buying id say FX700, the eQ7 is great but if your a 500 lover the eQ7 is just not i think what you will be looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back