What sounds similar to the Shure SRH-840?
Mar 26, 2010 at 7:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tdockweiler

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought these last week and to me they're the best sounding headphones i've heard. To MY ears they sound even better then the AKG 701 and Beyer DT-990. I owned those but sold them BOTH after getting the Triple Fi 10 which I love.

I've been using the Triple Fi 10 IEM for the last year and have been waiting to find something that sounds just as good in a over the ear headphone. The Shure SRH-840 is pretty close.

The most comfortable headphones i've ever had were the Beyer Dynamic DT-990 and the Sony MDR-V6 with upgraded earpads (Pearstone) were very comfortable.

Unfortunately for me the Shure's are too big for my head. I can move my head and they fall off. Last night I was listening to them in my bed before going to bed and I laid back and they fell off. It's as if i'm balancing them on my head. On each side I have nearly 2" of space! To me it's the world's worst headphone design. I might return them despite such good sound quality. I might just try to deal with it. The Shure SRH-240 had a PERFECT fit.

Is there anything else out there that has a similar sound. I don't like excessive bass and I want as much detail as possible without overdoing it. BTW I actually feel as if these MIGHT be better then my Triple Fi 10. It almost felt like I've heard a few things in my music i've never heard before if that was possible. To me they almost sound very similar unless it's my imagination.

I also was surprised these could be driven by my Ipod Touch just fine. The volume isn't super high. I didn't have any luck with my Iaudio 7 though obviously. The volume was super low and they sounded terrible without my headphone amp. That was obvious though to me.

Here are my requirements:

1) Price has to be under $350. I'd prefer under $200.
2) Over the ear model only
3) Something that can be driven with an Ipod Touch or similar
4) no excessive bass (hated the MDR-V6 because of this)
5) No Sennheiser or Grado (I already have the SR-80 and HD-555)
6) No IEM. I like them, but just need regular headphones.
7) I want to use them during weight training without falling off. They don't need to be small.

Basically I want something that sounds as good as the Shure SRH-840 and Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 or even better.

BTW I have to admit that the Shure SRH-840 is a STEAL for under $150. It seems at most sites they're now $200.

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 9
bump. 

I love the sound of my SRH840 but they are obnoxiously top heavy... I'd like a pair of over ear or on ear that I can listen to and enjoy without being afraid of any sudden movements! There are very few things I would change on the SRH840 besides the headband design and the coiled cable ... maybe a little more punch on the bass but that about it! (I have not listened to these amped mind you)
L3000.gif

I've recently been looking into a pair of portables - probably the Sennheiser HD25-1 II (or possibly the Beyerdynamic T50p) ... I realize I will be losing soundstage (especially sucky since most of the music I listen to is live) but can anyone comment on how these might compare to the SRH840 soundwise? I have heard they have agrresive highs like Grados which I am apprehensive of (I have the SR-80i, I like them but only on a very limited scope of music - sometimes they are definitely too forward for me - I get this scratchy/tickle feeling in my ears from them
confused.gif
)

Anyways, sorry to bump a year old thread with no replies but I was wondering the exact same thing!

Apr 15, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 9
Have you seen the headband mod by swbf2cheater?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/485381/shure-840-frankstein-headband-mod-mission-complete
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/484116/my-shure-840-mod-warning-lots-of-pictures
It might not fix them if they're too loose, but it alleviates the top-heaviness.

I too really like the 840, but eventually sold it due to the fit issue. The headphones I've settled on now are the Phiaton MS400 and Pioneer HDJ-2000.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Thank you for posting those links! I definitely saw that "shure 840 warning lots of pictures" thread before but forgot about it (bit of a TLDR situation at the time). I will definitely be checking both of the mod threads out again... I'd just have to replace the coiled cable with a straight one and have a kick ass set of cans :D.

I won't deny I hijacked this thread for the portable headphone question. How do you like the MS400 and HDJ-2000? I wasn't too keen on the Phiaton look with the red and black and carbon fiberish stuff but I haven't seen them in person (or heard them for that matter). Not familiar at all with the Pioneers

Thanks again, I'll definitely revisit the mod thread

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 9
They make an all black MS400 now if that's more to your liking.

I really like the sound of the MS400, though the fit is a little odd because it sits somewhere between a supra and circumaural earpad. I have a full review in my profile (as well as a review on the 840 vs HDJ2000) if you want to take a look.

Apr 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 9
Brilliant reviews, both of them. You may have just talked me into the MS400 (I kind of shrugged them off originally because I did not like the flashy red... I know sound comes first but I was looking for portables :D ).... they sound like everything I am looking for in a set of cans. Think it would it be a mistake to sell my SRH840 to fund the Phiatons? - they sound very similiar in your review and even improve on bass punch. Definitely will do some more research on these headphones. Thanks!

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 9
In terms of sound, the MS400 is more fun to listen to. The 840 I describe as rather laid back (I believe I called it the pothead of the family in my review). The MS400 is similar, but rather than "laid back" I once termed it "like chocolate in your ear" which is really kinda odd but the words seem to fit how I want to describe it... warm and luxurious.

As for whether or not to sell the 840 to fund the MS400... that's really your call. Or just put it all on credit and get both, then decide after that (or keep both...)

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Cool, I really appreciate all your input. I think I will hang onto 840 simply because of the awesome sound and superior soundstage to any portable - then eventually either take on a headband mod or move up to some Beyer880/600 or something with a nice desktop setup.

The MS400 definitely moved up to the top my list for a set of portables along with the HD25-1 II - do you have any experience with the HD-1 II (or T50p or the ESW9 I suppose - I really wish there was more info on the T50p, I've read lots of mixed reviews)? I have found some comparisons here and elsewhere but I'd be interested to hear your two cents. I am really only interested in sound comparisons... comfort, isolation, etc I think I have a good feel for (it's pretty easy to say which set wins the sex appeal points
biggrin.gif
)

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-76-portable-headphones-reviewed-pioneer-se-mj5-ultrasone-hfi-15g-added-04-07
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/536880/review-fashion-vs-function-phiaton-ms400-b-w-p5-monster-beats-solo-v-moda-crossfade-sony-xb700-hd25-1

I am thinking the MS400 will suit me a lot better but it's so hard to say without listening! (I really want to open up a hi-fi store... post up right next to the Bose store in town
very_evil_smiley.gif
). Let it be known I listen to a *lot* of live recordings - jambands, jazz, dub-jazz, funk, drum n bass, bluegrass, acoustic, classic rock, calypso, world music, etc and occasional dubstep/trip-hop/electronica.... I don't listen to much, if any, classical/orchestral (at least I won't be through these cans), hip hop. pop, punk, metal.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Heh, I've owned the DT880, ESW9a, and have heard the T50p, P5 and HD25-1-ii.

- HD25: has a bit of bite to it, very slight U shaped response giving a nice thump and shimmer without being excessive, average soundstage, very good isolation but moderately tight clamp (not that comfortable for me with my glasses on), very sturdy build
- ESW9: typical airy ATH sound but more warm and relaxed, mild resonance gives it that "full" sensation in the mids and lower mids, not big but slightly larger soundstage than the MS400, low isolation, very comfy
- T50p: this one is odd and the rounded pads take some fiddling to seal properly on your ear, frequency response feels a bit wobbly and is one of those that you have to listen to before you buy it, good mids, bright-ish sound overall, very comfy, decent isolation, nice looks
- P5: kinda bland sound (but I liked it with metal), doesn't do anything really wrong but nothing stands out either, one of the comfiest headphones I've ever worn and excellent isolation, great looks and feels sturdy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back