What should I get in addition to my AKG K-240's
Jun 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Markon101

100+ Head-Fier
I'll start by saying, Head-fi is horrible for my wallet. I'm now looking at getting a second pair of headphones. I have a pair of K-240S, and I have a Fiio E9 amp. I've gotten "bored" of the K240s, (Great pair of cans though) what should I consider adding to my ever growing collection? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #3 of 36
I would suggest getting some closed cans so you can enjoy music on the go too. Idk what sound sig you like, but I got the Ultrasone HFI-580 to accompany my K240S (which I loved), and I ended up selling the AKG because I liked the Ultrasone better in every way except comfort.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 36
AKG's are kinda like Grado but with a little more mids and shallow bass

If you want a friendly companion, to sound the same, get some Grados. Sr80i's are good. Unless you want to mod and then get a pair of sr60i and look into the thread here.

If you want a enemy, something to give you some Bass, get a pair of Sonys. V6 are good, and I like them to oppose my Grados. Too bad I cna't use my grados due to that they are in pieces at the moment for a mod. My MDR-V6's are spoiling me with bass.

Jun 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 36

Quote:
AKG's are kinda like Grado but with a little more mids and shallow bass

Have you heard the K240S? They're pretty bass-heavy compared to most of AKG's offerings, too much even for some people.

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 36
agreed on the AKG being quite dark, he said he got bored so that was why i suggested grado or the K601. Ive heard quite good things on the SR225, unfortunately havent heard it yet, will do soon.

and I dont consider the V6 to be an upgrade coming from K240, maybe a sidekick. V6 makes a great portable tho

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #7 of 36
Thanks for all the great suggestions, what about some of the beyerdynamic headphones? I'm also considering the Grado's, I want something I little crisper than the 240's.

Jun 8, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 36

Quote:
Have you heard the K240S? They're pretty bass-heavy compared to most of AKG's offerings, too much even for some people.

X2 the upper bass is really boosted and takes away from the mid range clarity. I find the hd580 to be a very nice up grade....great bass without the upper bass bloat...v6 would be a side grade,imo. It's the polar opposite of the 240S in some ways....it's got a dip in those upper bass frequencies....but a powerful mid bass. The OP might not want closed though. I'd try the hd580 or hd600 if you don't want a lot of treble but like good bass and balanced mids....and maybe the dt880 if you like your treble more forward(never heard them myself, being adverse to 'in your face' treble).

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 36
What do you all think about the K 702? I've been looking at it being a good upgrade/sidekick. What is the least you would pay for a pair of K 702,s? (Real ones)

Jun 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 36
The 702s would be a definite upgrade over the 240S, although they do have very low bass levels.  There's adequate bass impact with the right amp, but there's not a whole lot of extension.

I sold my 702s recently for ~$185; they'll normally go from $160 to $220 depending on the condition, and can be had on ebay for $240-260 new.  Looks like there are actually three sets of K702s on ebay in that price range right now.

Quote:
What do you all think about the K 702? I've been looking at it being a good upgrade/sidekick. What is the least you would pay for a pair of K 702,s? (Real ones)

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #13 of 36
yes, I am looking mostly at full sized desktop headphones. I bought a big amp, for a pair of headphones that benefit from it but they don't really need an amp. I want something that can be driven by the E9, but nothing really efficient.
o2smile.gif

everything is welcome, except beats by dr dre 
deadhorse.gif

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #14 of 36
I'm not the only forum member who finds the 70X to be seriously flawed. Others love them though, so it's a matter of subjective taste. A safer bet, FWIR, might be the 601....which would be a good upgrade from the 240S most likely.

Jun 8, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 36
I didn't like mine, which is why I sold them; although I do wish I had kept my 601s.

Quote:
I'm not the only forum member who finds the 70X to be seriously flawed. Others love them though, so it's a matter of subjective taste. A safer bet, FWIR, might be the 601....which would be a good upgrade from the 240S most likely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back