What percent of your non audiophile friends can appreciate your audio gear?
May 11, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #76 of 139

Quote:
yeah I would have to agree there. hopefully my hearing stays that good to her age and it runs in the family. it must be pretty good if she can still appreciate the sound of my IEMs enough to want to drive them with a better dac/amp. think i'm gonna build her a gamma1 with diamond buffer for her Bday. shes still working from home as a graphic designer (digital) primarily in print, but does some ebooks too; so yeah shes pretty clued in and she could use a nice optical/usb dac

That's awesome. 

May 11, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #77 of 139

Quote:
My friends can generally discern the differences between their ibuds or other cheap headphones and my [XXXX], but it doesn't really change their opinion on head-fi. They think it's a complete waste of money, and they just want to listen to the music, they don't care much about the "sound." I don't agree that it's a waste, but I understand many people don't care about sound signatures and such. 

That said, I've successfully prevented them from buying Skullcandy or replacement ibuds, in favor of slightly better options...

^ yes, this is what i meant to say, but much more concise lol. they notice a difference, but they try to play it down in an "ignorance is bliss" kind of way. they're happy with what they've got, and they don't want to spend more dollars, so they say "yea it's maybe better, but not worth it" ...oh but it totally is!!!

May 11, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #78 of 139

Quote:
^ yes, this is what i meant to say, but much more concise lol. they notice a difference, but they try to play it down in an "ignorance is bliss" kind of way. they're happy with what they've got, and they don't want to spend more dollars, so they say "yea it's maybe better, but not worth it" ...oh but it totally is!!!

Yeah, you can't worry about what others will say...the ones who call it a waste of money are the same friends who will get bottle service at a club when they're less than lucid. Granted, those around them generally benefit from their drunken generosity, but they "waste" much more than I do on head-fi stuff. But hey, whatever makes them happy...as you said, not our place to act as savior to those who enjoy cheaper equipment. Sure, we can make suggestions, but that's about the extent of it...

May 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #80 of 139
They all think I'm crazy. The blank looks on their faces while I'm talking about my equipment is priceless. However, I have convinced a few of them that upgrading to mid-tiered iems are a worthwhile investment.

May 11, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #81 of 139
I told my friend what I paid for my IE8's and he responded "HAHAHAHA. That's hillarious!! I would never pay more than $10 for headphones."

Another said "What? Skullcandy is better, cheaper, and look better."

Another friend of mine tried to defend my newfound audio interest when some of my other friends were making fun of me for the IE8's. ... He defended me by saying "shut up, there's nothing wrong with buying the best of something. That's why I bought my Beats."

May 11, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #82 of 139
Two of my friends already also purchased Alessandro MS-1's.

And the PKx love is starting to go around too.  Some at work are talking about a group buy of PK3's...

Someone else is waiting to hear what my amp will sound like.  I'm just a natural salesman if I love something.  

May 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #83 of 139

Quote:

Yeah, you can't worry about what others will say...the ones who call it a waste of money are the same friends who will get bottle service at a club when they're less than lucid. Granted, those around them generally benefit from their drunken generosity, but they "waste" much more than I do on head-fi stuff. But hey, whatever makes them happy...as you said, not our place to act as savior to those who enjoy cheaper equipment. Sure, we can make suggestions, but that's about the extent of it...

Yes, my new audio obsession is supposed to wean me off my wine obsession!!!

May 11, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #84 of 139

Quote:
I told my friend what I paid for my IE8's and he responded "HAHAHAHA. That's hillarious!! I would never pay more than $10 for headphones."

Another said "What? Skullcandy is better, cheaper, and look better."

Another friend of mine tried to defend my newfound audio interest when some of my other friends were making fun of me for the IE8's. ... He defended me by saying "shut up, there's nothing wrong with buying the best of something. That's why I bought my Beats."

FAIL.

May 12, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #86 of 139
Well, 2 of my girlfriends used to use skullcandies earbuds till i introduce them to my M.turbine . Now they both bought MT and now looking @ UE10 or MTCP.  They also bought fiio E1 for the control feature aswell as a mini boost in clarity. How i envy them with their 4g ipod.

May 12, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #87 of 139
I have a few DJ friends who think the bass on my HD25-1's are excellent. That being said they all still think I'm insane to spend $300 on headphones to take to school. I recently managed to get 8 friends from my local area to buy some Meelec M9's which I was happily pleased about :) Everyone has also said they love them.
I've also managed to get my brother using Meelec M6's and rockboxing the old 20gb 4th gen iPod Photo we had in the draw with a Clip+ on the to buy list.
Another one of my brothers friends now uses higher bitrate mp3's and FLAC as a source. Another one of my brothers friends has since rockboxed his 5.5g iPod video, and a different friends Dad doing the same thing all after talking to me.
I think my biggest achivment is getting one of my friends, without pre-educating him to say my D2+ sounds amazing when we randomly swapped mp3 players on the bus (he had a Nano). Guess what he bought as his new mp3 player? :)
I'm 17, my friends are the perfect example of the iPod generation. Slowly but surely people are changing, and I must say this is quite an enjoyable thing to witness.

God I just read that back, life story much? Sorry.

May 12, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #88 of 139
when my friends recommended beats by dre, 
and another said the sennheiser hd25's didnt look like good headphones

i knew i should just keep it to myself

May 12, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #89 of 139
Hmm yes I have a kid in my maths class who when I asked him about his headphones, went on to say Skullcandy are cheap, look really good, and have really really good sound quality. (I later heard him say the bass was crisp, which surprised me that he would try and describe the sound quality, to be honest he kinda impressed me, even I I don't agree with him)
I was like yea, Skullcandy certainly have their own style.... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back