What percent of your non audiophile friends can appreciate your audio gear?
Jun 5, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #121 of 139
I caught a small ration of manure from the Mrs. because a V2 Bravo amp arrived today. Even though I won it for $13.18 plus shipping ($28 total), I got a 10 min lecture... I'd catch hell if I tried to get some expensive gear.

Jun 6, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #125 of 139

thing is how many Bravos have you already got?
biggrin.gif
 plus all the tubes...

I used to think spending more than £20 for a pair of heaphones is throwing money out of window. Now I think spending more than a grant on your headphone rig is extremely sane
deadhorse.gif

Quote:
I caught a small ration of manure from the Mrs. because a V2 Bravo amp arrived today. Even though I won it for $13.18 plus shipping ($28 total), I got a 10 min lecture... I'd catch hell if I tried to get some expensive gear.

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #126 of 139
when random google searches brought me to Head-Fi last summer & fall, I considered you guys all crazy for spending more on earphones than the actual media players themselves...

oh how times have changed.  :)

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:10 AM Post #127 of 139

Quote:
when random google searches brought me to Head-Fi last summer & fall, I considered you guys all crazy for spending more on earphones than the actual media players themselves...

oh how times have changed.  :)

LOL! I must say the same thought crossed my mind when I first came here (which was only a few months ago!!)

Jun 9, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #129 of 139
lol. I'm still in the learning process, and through my current search for a good DAC and amp, I have just realized that "holy crap!" headphones aren't even the most expensive part of the chain in audio gear.

Jun 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #130 of 139

Quote:

Aw, that is not good, man! Don't you have your own pocket money to spend? My wife wonders why I keep buying DAP:s and headphones, but it is a hobby for me and as long as I use my own money it is okay with her. I have bought her the Zen 8GB with Fiio E5 + Yuin PK3 that she uses. If it wasn't for that she would still be using her 1GB iPod Shuffle 2G. So my hobby has made her portable music listening experience better.
I am constantly looking for better stuff within a certain price limit. I am also looking to upgrade the wife's stuff as well.
Despite having 6 DAP:s and 3 headphones in rotation I am eying 1 more DAP (JVC XA HD 500) and a few headphones (ATH-ES7, Yuin G2A, Sennheiser MX580 and perhaps the Pioneer SE EX9 which I read about here a few days ago. I should be able to find it here in Japan...).
I am already looking for alternatives when the wife's Zen breaks down (perhaps a Kenwood HD10GB7 while in Japan or a Sony or Cowon after we get back to Sweden). I am also looking for a good pair of headphones with a lot of bass (she's a basshead), so I might get her a pair of AKG K518.

None of my friends are very interested in portable music. I did help a friend choose Sansa Express when he wanted a small mp3 player. But he does not use it to listen to music, just downloaded radio shows. Other friends are happy with iPods or listening to music on their cellphone...

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #131 of 139
When I took out my Hifiman they laughed at it and said I got retro and that it's like a cassette player and all that. They laughed harder when I told them the price. I refused to tell them the price of the UE18 Pro which they thought was like a hearing aid. And I haven't shown them the RSA Black Bird yet.

Jun 9, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #132 of 139

Quote:
When I took out my Hifiman they laughed at it and said I got retro and that it's like a cassette player and all that. They laughed harder when I told them the price. I refused to tell them the price of the UE18 Pro which they thought was like a hearing aid. And I haven't shown them the RSA Black Bird yet.

Their laughs will go away once they hear it...honestly.....

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #134 of 139
I have stupid roomies who think RE 1 and RE 2 are useless they wonder why i keep purchasing cans and DAP's.According to them the best IEM is creative EP630 which is a piece of cr@p.

I got a 30 min lecture for getting the D2000 from my fiance who is in India i had tough time explaining her why i got it.She finally kept quite when i spoke to her about her diamonds :p.

I have seen people giving me weird looking while using the D4 Mamba,Singapore airport security even asked to tell what it is .I guess they though it as a bomb.I had to explain about it for long time.Finally they allowed me to carry in to the flight.Dumb people :xf_mad:.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #135 of 139
I'm lucky enough to have a few friends who are into audio gear (one is an infrequent Head-Fier who prefers his Marshmallows over his previous Etys and listens to noise--hi Shea!), and two even went to a Head-Fi meet with me back in the day.

Outside of them though I don't tell anyone what I own / how much it costs, since I know the reaction would be a huge raising of the What flag. The few times its been mentioned around others and I realize the conversation could go south quickly, I quickly turn the subject over to how I built a headphone amplifier and they're usually like, "I have no idea what the heck that is, but that sounds cool!"

I did sit one of my music-y friends down to listen to one of my rigs and the reaction was, WHOAAA! But he never asked for any prices. Close call there!

Fun thread though. I'm not sure why so many people are outraged with the high prices (especially with Bose/Beats popularizing the $150+ headphone market). Everyone has their own hobbies. At least I hope everyone has their own hobbies, they're good for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back