What percent of your non audiophile friends can appreciate your audio gear?
May 12, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #91 of 139

Quote:
lol. Yeah right? I listened to his Beats and didn't like them very much compared to my IE8 + Headstage Arrow combo, but when i let him listen, he liked his Beats more... =/

LOL. YMMV, right? 
tongue_smile.gif

May 12, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #92 of 139

Quote:
Hmm yes I have a kid in my maths class who when I asked him about his headphones, went on to say Skullcandy are cheap, look really good, and have really really good sound quality. (I later heard him say the bass was crisp, which surprised me that he would try and describe the sound quality, to be honest he kinda impressed me, even I I don't agree with him)
I was like yea, Skullcandy certainly have their own style.... :wink:

Mega FAIL.

May 12, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #93 of 139
ok chalk one up for the good side. i was leaving work yesterday getting ready for the walk to the train station, when i put on my ath-es7 around my neck. my boss got in the elevator with me and asked "are they nice?"

i said "oh my headphones? yea i got them mostly for the looks but the sound is acceptable too. mostly the worst part is that they can get uncomfortable after hours of listening." then he read the brand "...audio tech-nica." i said "yea have you heard of that brand?" surprisingly he said "yes, i know about bose and sony being mostly for the mass market, but audio technica is supposed to be at the highest level." i simply responded with, "i'm glad you know about it." 
bigsmile_face.gif

May 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #94 of 139

Quote:
ok chalk one up for the good side. i was leaving work yesterday getting ready for the walk to the train station, when i put on my ath-es7 around my neck. my boss got in the elevator with me and asked "are they nice?"

i said "oh my headphones? yea i got them mostly for the looks but the sound is acceptable too. mostly the worst part is that they can get uncomfortable after hours of listening." then he read the brand "...audio tech-nica." i said "yea have you heard of that brand?" surprisingly he said "yes, i know about bose and sony being mostly for the mass market, but audio technica is supposed to be at the highest level." i simply responded with, "i'm glad you know about it." 
bigsmile_face.gif

I wouldn't say Sony. He should of said Bose and Skullcandy. Some of the best full sized headphones ( Sony R-10 and Sony Qualia ) came from Sony.

May 12, 2010 at 11:38 AM Post #95 of 139

Quote:
I wouldn't say Sony. He should of said Bose and Skullcandy. Some of the best full sized headphones ( Sony R-10 and Sony Qualia ) came from Sony.

yea i agree that sony has some really good stuff (especially in the DAP department), but i think he was referring to how the different companies take different approaches to sales & marketing. while sony does maintain some high-end niche products in their lineup, they also do have a bunch of crap headphones.

May 12, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #96 of 139
Werid as I would think most people if they know audio technicas know them for their microphones since they are at a lot of major events (Oscars, Golden globe etc).

May 12, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #98 of 139
My non-audiophile friends are happy for me and know it sounds great, well they are my friends after all.......

May 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #99 of 139
Most of my co-workers are cool about it. They think it's crazy or can't understand, but they realize that everyone has their hobbies. A large portion of them spent as much on one of their bows/rifles for hunting than I did on my whole setup, so I guess it's all good. Also..I don't have any close friends/co-workers who are really into audio period..outside of just enjoying music casually, so can't expect them to appreciate my audio addiction. Also I am 43 years old with no kids so I sometimes get the " if I had no kids I could afford that stuff too" line.

May 12, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #100 of 139
Hmm, I have quite a few friends who love listening to my headphones. I'd say about 8 enjoy quality audio yet I can only get 2 of them to ever spend over $100 on a pair of headphones. At least none of them are listening to iBuds ^_^

None of my friends own a set of Bose anymore hehe

May 12, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #103 of 139

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if I told a majority of the people i know how much i spent on my setup their heads would explode

Same here man, same here. Mostly because I live in a small town of 30000 and if you live in a two story house here people call you rich. I hate it here :/
Can't wait to go to college in the fall though :)

May 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #104 of 139
I honestly don't think it's that bad really. Everyone has their thing. I bet you can say the same about the amount of money people spend on their hobbies. I can say this however. The total cost of what I've spend since joining head-fi is far less than some of my friends spend on cars, clothes, guitars, etc. If I didn't spend it on audio related gear then I would be using it on some other hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back