What percent of your non audiophile friends can appreciate your audio gear?
May 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #106 of 139
Closest friends (female):
Sennheiser CX300 mk II
AKG K518DJ
Sennheiser HD202
Sennheiser HD201
Sennheiser PX100
Male:
Creative EP630 (along with my Koss UR29)
AKG K121Studio
Sennheiser HD202
Sony EX700

Only 2 of my friends don't care at all. Most of them think it's strange to spend $100 on headphones, but don't think one who does so is nuts. But some time ago, when I told some mates I spent about $30 on Kosses they thought it's "strange" :)

May 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #107 of 139

Quote:
Ever try talking to your S.O. about custom's? The conversation goes like this: me: "they are described as having tiny musicians playing live music in your ears, not just speakers" her: " but, how do you know that if you have never heard them? And according to you, every one is individual" me: "well, when I was reasearching on Head-fi and comparing sound signatures and detail retreval..." her: " STOP, what the F are you talking about, I don't care, they are 1000 dollar earbuds, is this a joke???"

i think this exact conversation has been repeated throughout head fi many times
dt880smile.png

May 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #108 of 139
I've been called nuts ever since for my love of Oakley sunglasses. My recent purchase this year is a $600 and $1500 pair of Oakleys and called me crazy. When some of my closest friends found out about my new head-fi related purchases... they called me hopeless :D

May 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #109 of 139

Quote:
Ever try talking to your S.O. about custom's? The conversation goes like this: me: "they are described as having tiny musicians playing live music in your ears, not just speakers" her: " but, how do you know that if you have never heard them? And according to you, every one is individual" me: "well, when I was reasearching on Head-fi and comparing sound signatures and detail retreval..." her: " STOP, what the F are you talking about, I don't care, they are 1000 dollar earbuds, is this a joke???"

^also currently my biggest obstacle to upgrading to proper high-end customs :)

May 17, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #110 of 139
Of the people that I've let try my equipment (which really isn't much), I usually get comments about how good my IEM's are. I use Denon C710's but I'm looking for an upgrade, hopefully soon. Looking at the Fischer DBA's more than anything, but the W3's, MTPC's, and a couple of other IEM's are still in my line of sight. One of my friends loved the isolation the C710's gave him. Many others comment about the sound quality, bass, and the aesthetics. 

May 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #111 of 139
^ Well it's easy to see why some friends would say that. Personally I think it's crazy to spend that much on shades because I never wear them lol. 

For me, I don't like spending money on things if I can't "use" them. I don't buy things like clothes (just Jordan stuff, nothing more), jewelry, or accessories (hats/shades). I don't have a problem with them or anything, just don't see the point if I can't "use" em ya know? 

But hey, to each their own. And I'm sure those Oakleys you got are nice as hell lol :D

May 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #112 of 139
I actually dont tell my friends that I am an amateur audiophile.  Only one knows and he understands it.  However, he does not know about my Denon AH-D1001S.  He only knows my metrofi 220s which were $60 (MSRP: $80).  He thought those were too expensive, but he understands.

May 17, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #113 of 139
     Quote:
^ Well it's easy to see why some friends would say that. Personally I think it's crazy to spend that much on shades because I never wear them lol. 

For me, I don't like spending money on things if I can't "use" them. I don't buy things like clothes (just Jordan stuff, nothing more), jewelry, or accessories (hats/shades). I don't have a problem with them or anything, just don't see the point if I can't "use" em ya know? 

But hey, to each their own. And I'm sure those Oakleys you got are nice as hell lol :D

I wear them regularly. I too find it pointless if I buy something I can't use. :)

May 17, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #115 of 139
Maybe most of the men, the women think that this is... well these are not clothes =p. The percentage might be as high as 35%.

May 18, 2010 at 9:30 AM Post #117 of 139
pretty much just only my best buddy here in college.  he has a pair of MDs with a Pico Slim.  has a low end computer setup.

he actually got me into this audio gear thing.  it all works out cuz were both spoiled college students mooching off our parents
dt880smile.png

May 18, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #118 of 139
Most really like the way it sounds but few see what I've spent so much on it.

May 30, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #119 of 139
I have a couple of friends who has listened to my gear. The one that listens to stock ibuds hears the difference but says "It sounds better but why would you spend that kind of money?" In my head I'm thinking..."Better? more like sweet goddess whispering in you ears...." The other 2 understands as one of them like photography and sinks quite a bit in camera and lens and the other appreciates the sound but rather sinks his money into computer gear.

May 30, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #120 of 139
everyone has different valuations on the things they are interested in. most of my friends give me crap for talking about spending a few hundred on earphones, but then again you have the masses who spend hundreds and thousands every year upgrading their mobile phone or whatever hobby they have an see no issue with it (generalisation).

but essentially, most of my friends bar a couple here and there, think that my expenditure on audio equipment is unnecessary and more often than not give me the poops for it even though I haven't even spent more than 2k on it.

at the end of the day, I know to myself that we all have our different likes and dislikes and we will always have hobbies. I always tell my friends that the gap between a low end earphone and mid-priced earphone is pretty big, but once you get to the upper echelons, it's diminishing returns that comes into play and it just becomes how much are you willing to pay for that little extra.

it's like a vice at the end of the day and as long as we don't start thinking that our hobby/audiophile equipment becomes more important than life and friends, then we are all still sane :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back