What non-IEM portable do you recommend
Mar 11, 2010 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
My apologies I know this kind of thread has come up a gazillion times, but it's hard to use the search function to word this properly.

Anyway I'm just looking for a portable set of headphones. What I'm looking for are:

a.) Folds up for very easy packing into a bag or even better a jacket pocket (ala Senn PX100)
*** Extra Criteria: must have one-sided cable!
b.) deep bass
c.) warm
d.) Laidback is preferred though forward/aggressive is okay
e.) I actually prefer recessed mids (dark sound)
f.) Mids should still have a liquid sound, though
g.) comfortable
h.) wide soundstage would be a big plus
i.) can be closed or open, no preference. Sound leak is not an issue.
j.) as little harshness and sibilance as possible (veiled mids or highs are ok)

I'm putting a premium on the portability, since what I need is something easy to bring around. I have the UF30 which currently fits this niche, but while it folds nicely the actual carrying case it came with is pretty big and not all that portable. UF30 also has rather bad mids and this could use some improvement.

I also came from an AKG K81, which is actually pretty close to what I'm looking for, but was lacking a bit in resolution and was definitely lacking in comfort so I am looking for something better but with similar characteristics.

If you can get me the sound of either the Monster Turbines or the VModa Vibes or even the Klipsch X10 in a portable can that would be great!

Price can be pretty much whatever, I can always save up. Not expecting this to be too expensive because portables tend not to be as high end as full-size cans.

Thanks

- will the HD25-2 fit my needs by the way?

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 33
Oh yes my typical listening preferences:

* Rock/Alternative/Grunge
* lounge/latin
* chillout
* house
* some jPop/jRock

Mar 11, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 33
I have only heard the ESW9, ES7, and some Grados. Based on your needs, the ESW9 seems to fit your preferences. Comfort varies depending on the person, so YMMV. I see that you have the Triple Fi 10. The ESW9 is similar in sound signature based on my experiences with both. Laid back, deep bass, slightly recessed mids, and sparkly highs. Though the TF10 has more visceral bass which overwhelms the mids sometimes, while the ESW9's bass doesn't bleed over into the mids.

I haven't heard the HD25-2, so I can't comment on them.

EDIT: The ESW9A is currently $214 @ BeachCamera. I ended up selling my ESW9A since it got uncomfortable in about 3 hours of use.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #4 of 33
Thanks AB I've been looking to try some of the wooden Audio Technicha's for a while now. I don't like shopping online but maybe I'll look at that (Beach Cam?) if I settle on the ESW9.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 33
If you live in the U.S., some Apple Stores will have the ESW9A out so you can listen to them. I would call the ones in your area to see if they have them out to audition.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #6 of 33
The senn is a top pick for portable headphones around $150, the ATH's are more expensive but nicer looking which may or may not the best as a portable since it uses wooden cups haha.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #7 of 33
V-Jays, C-Jays, HD228 and JVC HA-S900

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by AwakenedBeing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you live in the U.S., some Apple Stores will have the ESW9A out so you can listen to them. I would call the ones in your area to see if they have them out to audition.

HEhe that's exactly the problem, I don't, and that's why I don't like shopping online. Don't worry about that though just keep the recommends coming I will find a way to get the HP of choice to me somehow.

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
V-Jays, C-Jays, HD228 and JVC HA-S900

Thanks for the suggestions. Would you care to go into detail about the characteristics of these cans?

Mar 11, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #10 of 33
Sounds like JVC HA-M750s. Apart from the Klipsch X10 bit! They're only $45, you can't expect too much..

HD 25-1 IIs are ranked very highly.

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 33
I think you should look into the Yuin PK 1s, surprisingly big sound from an earbud.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 33
see if you can try out the HD 25 - II... i had the opportunity a while back, and have never wanted to shell out $200 before seriously considering it before then.

I had to look at my JH5s and the respective price tag to dissuade myself.

definitely suggesting those for every reason. not the most portable by my standards, but comfort/sq makes up for it in every way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back