What makes one portable player better than the other?
Feb 17, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #91 of 129

Quote:
It's not like EQ only gives you one sound, quite the opposite. I don't really think this is a point you can bring up, considering the entire point of EQ is to change the sound to your preference. If the sound isn't to your liking, you can change it from poison to pleasure.

That's not necessarily true. If I buy a Cowon because you write a review saying you love a particular preset BBE EQ settings on yours. And then I get my Cowon and find out I hate that BBE setting (which is entirely possible). What am I supposed to do about it? There may not be another EQ setting that I really like. Just because the EQ in a particular device can be tweaked to one person's liking, doesn't mean it will suit someone else no matter how they tweak it.

A good example is bass boost. Some EQ's boost the upper ranges for more "boom" and some like that. I personally hate it. And some boost only the deeper bass which is often less dramatic but more pleasing to some. Many times you don't have the option of both. One player might only do "boom" while another might only do "deep". So a boom lover might rave about a particular player's bass EQ and I'd end up hating it. And I'd not be able to "change it to my pleasure" because I like a very different kind of bass EQ the player doesn't even offer. See the problem?

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #92 of 129
Fortunately, no self-respecting Head Fier would ever resort to boosted bass in an attempt to compensate for poor headphone choice. Er, now that I think of it ............ 

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #93 of 129

Quote:
That's not necessarily true. If I buy a Cowon because you write a review saying you love a particular preset BBE EQ settings on yours. And then I get my Cowon and find out I hate that BBE setting (which is entirely possible). What am I supposed to do about it? There may not be another EQ setting that I really like. Just because the EQ in a particular device can be tweaked to one person's liking, doesn't mean it will suit someone else no matter how they tweak it.

A good example is bass boost. Some EQ's boost the upper ranges for more "boom" and some like that. I personally hate it. And some boost only the deeper bass which is often less dramatic but more pleasing to some. Many times you don't have the option of both. One player might only do "boom" while another might only do "deep". So a boom lover might rave about a particular player's bass EQ and I'd end up hating it. And I'd not be able to "change it to my pleasure" because I like a very different kind of bass EQ the player doesn't even offer. See the problem?

I was referring to the custom EQ more than the presets. And if it's not possible to get a sound you like with a ten-band custom equalizer, I don't think you will like any sound out there. With the ability to change the frequencies you can basically edit the overall sound signature to your preference, or to match any other player out there. The bass boost really wouldn't be an issue if you boosted it yourself. 
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #94 of 129

Quote:

I was referring to the custom EQ more than the presets. And if it's not possible to get a sound you like with a ten-band custom equalizer, I don't think you will like any sound out there. With the ability to change the frequencies you can basically edit the overall sound signature to your preference, or to match any other player out there. The bass boost really wouldn't be an issue if you boosted it yourself. 
wink.gif

Well, the lowest frequency you can set the custom EQ to on the Cowon's I've used isn't all that low. Each band is only adjustable over a limited range. I found that rather disappointing to be honest as I had high hopes for the much touted custom EQ (hoping it would be more like a true parametric EQ, but it's not).

But, more to the point, we still have the issue of it being extremely difficult to describe the *sound* of any EQ to someone who doesn't own that player. And worse, how does say the Cowon EQ compare to say a Creative player's EQ with all their XFi wizardry? How would someone figure that out from reading a review of each?

Person A reviewing the Cowon likely has completely different tastes in EQ than Person B reviewing the Creative. So their comments cannot be compared regarding EQ as it's all personal preference and subjective. If they can't be compared, why should EQ be part of the criteria for comparing players? So it's best to just list the EQ features along with the rest of the features and leave it at that.

I suspect you're just hoping to take this thread back in a subjective direction--perhaps because you own a Cowon? I can't really be much more clear on what's valid and what's not to objectively compare players among different reviews. There are good reasons why the audio industry conducts all the standard measurements with EQ turned off. You don't have to agree with them.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #95 of 129

Quote:
I think I see your point, but it's simply not possible to *objectively* evaluate EQ in meaningful ways that can be *compared* to other players. And if objective data can't be compared, it's generally considered relatively worthless. What's the point if I test the 0-60 time of a Camaro on level ground and 0-60 of a Mustang going up hill or pulling a trailer. It's a pointless comparison. So, instead, we test them both under as similar of conditions as possible. Then you know which car really outperforms the other.

nwavguy, testing a car's 0-60 does not measure one cars performance against another! It only test one aspect of performance. The performance of a car needs to measure the car's ability to perform it's function, ie fulfill it's purpose!

In the car's example, that might be it's economy and longevity for a family, or it's lap time on a given track for a race driver... *** it might be for a teenager to pull a girl he's had a crush on at his college all year (I may be drawing from my own personal experience :p). None of these things (except to a small degree the racing driver) are measured by testing the car's ability to get from 0-60. Even for the racing driver, the 0-60 is only an indicator of how the car may perform, but that's offset with a vast number of measurments than only when combined deliver an impression of a car's performance. And all those measurements are meaningless until the driver sits on the track and does laps, they may indicate the likelihood, but will not ensure it.

The same can be said for a player; which one is better than the other? First you have to ask yourself what is the purpose of the device for the user purchasing it...

For some it's economy (sansa clip+ wins!), longevity (ipod mini 2g?), style (Sony or Apple for the brand awareness?), ability to deliver music...?

Now you might think the most important measurement to deliver sound is how well it does without any EQ settings in some scientific measurement, but I can't agree with that. For me it's how well I hear the music coming into my ears. I doubt my ears hear the same way yours do, so I can't see what value there is to your measurement. What I need is lots of options and adjustable settings so I can make it sound as pleasing to me as I can.

Like the 'best' car for a racing driver is the one that win him the most races, the best portable player is the one that delivers the best sounding sound to my ears, and (personally) can run without charge for my commute, and can be depended upon to not break or crash.

Your scientific measurement doesn't tell me any of those things, only if the systems have a potential to relay a sound accurately (and to what degree).

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #96 of 129
There is no ULTIMATE PURPOSE for audio gear.  Outside the closed world of audio engineering, recording and production there is little use for the concepts of "accuracy" and reference, unless this suits someones particular interests or tastes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly2

An excellent-sounding MP3 player—no signal processing activated—sounds neutral.

Keyword "excellent" is an subjective term, therefore to be accurate it requires boundaries to remain valid.  Instead "an natural sounding mp3 player for an audio engineer sounds excellent.  There are no universal truths, only agreement among individuals.  Learn this well and open your mind.

When it comes to players with non-flat FR, this is often done to recreate certain desirable audio qualities, and limit certain undesirable audio qualities.  These compromises are often necessary or desirable over a neutral response in portable audio applications.  I personally dont care for the HF rolloff on my hifiman in its own right, but compared to my 5g ipod the improvements in detail, dynamics and soundstage, as well as bass extension make this compromise worthwhile until I find a better solution.  If you sincerely believe that FR is the only important factor in sound reproduction you are deluding yourself.  What i suspect is the case is that this is the only reliable, commonly understood form of empirical measurement available.  The key here is comparative subjectivity.  I didn't look at the Hifiman FR and say "this isnt flat player x must be better" which is what an entirely empirical, a-priori based attitude would lead me to.  Personally FR is not top on the list of my priorities, neither is battery life, gapless playback, ease of UI use, etc.

FR is useful in that it can reliably be understood for its effect on subjective experience, but it is not the be all and end all.  Distortion measurements are similarly useful as far as they reliably relate to perceived experience.

Fact is that empirical data and subjective experience exist in two separate conceptual universes.  Empirical data is only useful if it can be reliably linked to human perception.  This is further only reliable if it can be reliably communicated to other parties.  Firstly, most non-engineer audiophiles lack the technical knowledge to understand the significance of technical data, let alone how it relates to audio quality.  Without years of training we cannot reliably understand technical data.  Secondly, even if we THINK we understand technical data, human perception is unreliable and infinitely variable, eg the preference of "analogue" sound over digital, overly extended bass decay, treble presentation, sound signature anomalies.  It is unreasonable to expect every audio review to be conducted by Phd students with audio engineering background, even if this was any guarantee of reliability.

If individual people can reliably perceive and compare specific sonic qualities that they connect with these label/words, then they can reliably guide their own purchases.  If other people can reliably understand these terms and relate them to their own a-posteriori experience, then they can benefit from the subjective experience of others.  If they fail a double blind test between equipment, this could be interpreted to weaken the reliability of their subjective judgement, or alternately it could point to flaws in their subjective testing methods.  I'm all for controlled subjective comparisons, but to suggest that a lack thereof discredits all subjective discourse is premature.  Scientific method has its own inherent inaccuracies, just look at the pace with which medical science changes its mind.  I say prremature, because clinically controlled comparison of audio equipment is sorely lacking.  Secondly there is the factor of a-priori assumptions affecting perception, eg, "I think I am not going to hear a difference as the FR is the same."  There is endeless possibility for flaws to enter into a small scale "scientific" study, especially if the listeners have some notion of a-priori scientific based expectations.

http://seanolive.blogspot.com/: this is a step in the right direction, but realistically how accessible/distributable is this training?  I sincerely wish it was more accessible.  However using scientific data to "disprove" subjective experience is really not all that useful.  using controlled double blind tests on the other hand is.  When it comes to audio experience, perception IS everything, and empirical data is only as useful as it can be reliably linked to subjective experience.  In the end audio fidelity comes down to how closely the PERCEIVED reproduced sound matches the PERCEIVED natural/intended/desired sound.  

To reuse the car analogy: if you know how fast a car accelerates, this still doesn't mean you will like it, even if you think you want a fast accelerating car.  You may find it too brutal, too jumpy for everyday use in city traffic etc.  The empirical data is PURELY abstract, and needs to be related back in terms of human, a-posteriori experience.  The question therefore is, unless you have a degree in audio engineering, why would a lay person bother interpreting this data?

Thanks for the links anyway, I look forward to your controlled subjective reviews. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #98 of 129

Quote:
An excellent-sounding MP3 player—no signal processing activated—sounds neutral.

huh...all the mp3 players have filters to eliminate the digital noise. Butterworth is a low pass analog filter. And also it has nothing to do with the EQ.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #99 of 129
@drez

Very eloquently expressed. I took part in a similar discussion on Anything but iPod last year, and I wish I had your command of English. Knowing the language well does not compensate for not being a native speaker.

You point at something we cannot escape: that we are subjective and that this influences our way of thinking and our choices. I do think that attempts at objective analysis are not meaningless. But the premises are most often subjective, and that is something we must keep in mind. Objective tests are not absolute truths. And they can most definitively not say that we will like player A which performs great in tests, but dislike player B which performs less well. I cannot see any connection between tests and perception of gear what so ever. So if someone prefers player B to A even if it did worse in tests, it does not mean that that person is using confirmation bias to justify his purchase. It might just mean that he prefers the (overall) perception of player B (i.e. sound, looks, functions etc).

I do not own a HifiMan and have no interest in them. I prefer more mainstream vintage players (iRiver H120, Kenwood HDD-players etc). But as long as the audio gear doesn't cost much, I think it is up to the buyer to choose. I own a Cowon S9, and while it sounds nice, I have always thought that the BBE+ effects gives music slightly artificial tinge. I prefer older players such as the Kenwood HD20GA7 and JVC XA-HD500, which have got much simpler EQ but sounds much more natural than the S9. This despite paying twice as much for the S9 as for the Kenwood and JVC together.

Anomaly2 and other posters here have a point when it comes to audio gear that is grossly overpriced, such as special cables that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, but really does not perform any different compared to a much cheaper alternative. But my position is that if someone buys a brick $10 000 to put on their stereo and believes it will improve the sound, it might be a good lesson for him when he finds out that he only imagined that difference. Many learn the best from their mistakes.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #100 of 129

Quote:
What are controlled subjective reviews?  Please explain in detail the testing methodology.

I am curious as well, but I think he might be pointing to the fact that ALL people are subjective and that premises and outcomes of scientific tests can be affected by that persons views/expectations. Both on a smaller, individual level and on a larger scale. For example National economy theory in North Korea is probably different from National economy theory in the USA. In the US, an economist following the Austrian school will probably theorize differently from a follower of Keynesian economical theories.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #101 of 129
by controlled subjective I was thinking of *edit* a method that can be found on the sound science section.  But then again I am not sufficiently knowledgeable in psychoacoustics or scientific method to say for sure if this is the best method, only that to my reasoning this approach is most logical: ie. this method should provide data which can be most reliably related to subjective experience.

For example, I wouldnt buy a car by looking at the manufacturer specifications and measurements, or looking at a mechanical assembly diagram firstly because i am not knowledgeable enough to make sense of it, but also because this data does not relate to experience reliably.  I would rather collect an aggregate of subjective, experience based observations from a number of varying sources, eg. consumer reviews, technical papers and car journals as I feel this will give me the best idea of how i will experience said product.  Hopefully by using a large range of sources I can verify which observations are most accurate and relevant.  Whilst empirical data may be more reliable for certain observable aspects of performance (eg acceleration), they cannot account for the richer and arguably more important aspects of experiencing such a product.  

This is not by any means an ideal method of research, but in the absence of more rigorous methods, this is all I have available.  There is also the distinct possibility of certain effects of prolonged exposure, eg. when you try a shoe on in a store, think its comfortable, but it turns out to be horrible when used everyday.  This form of data cannot practically be provided by a scientific approach, however from collected a-posteriori knowledge one can deduce certain aspects of performance to look out for, or alternately find a way of scientifically measuring these traits.  But again these features of performance are meaningless unless they can illicit certain personal subjective responses such as "awesome" or "oh dear."

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #102 of 129

Quote:
by controlled subjective I was thinking of controlled blind testing, no EQ, level matched, but in the end still subjective because we are relying on human ears, and providing our own categories for measurement (eg bass volume, speed, detail). 

There is a widely-agreed-upon testing methodology available for testing whether there is an audible difference between two audio devices.  It requires human ears and allows for hearing any differences in bass volume, speed, detail, etc.  Head-Fi has banned all discussions of this methodology in all forums except the Sound Science forum.

Quote:
I am curious as well, but I think he might be pointing to the fact that ALL people are subjective and that premises and outcomes of scientific tests can be affected by that persons views/expectations.

But objective tests of sound quality are less affected than subjective tests of sound quality, as that brick example demonstrates.

Quote:
huh...all the mp3 players have filters to eliminate the digital noise. Butterworth is a low pass analog filter. And also it has nothing to do with the EQ.

Signal processing is not limited to equalizers.

Quote:
But my position is that if someone buys a brick $10 000 to put on their stereo and believes it will improve the sound, it might be a good lesson for him when he finds out that he only imagined that difference.

This is the main point that I wanted to make in this thread.  This answers the original poster’s question.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #103 of 129
But what is the difference between objective and subjective tests? Is it ONLY the methology? So it is possible to ignore things such as that two persons might preceive the same sound differently? I mean this as connected to interpretation and preferences, not how sounds are percieved by the ear. Just as the taste of something sweet can produce a certain reaction, a sound can produce a similar reaction. This is something we have to be aware of. The scientist always has to be aware of his own subjectivity and how it might affect the tests. Especially when it comes to things that are connected the senses and perception.

What I meant about the brick is that perhaps it is good to let the guy buy the brick and then convince him that there is no difference. It might only be then that he learns a lesson.

Anyway, interesting subject to discuss. However, I do not want to get into another round after the one on ABi which led to no result besides people's opinions becoming more entrenched than before...

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #104 of 129
Drez, you have a VERY good point. What is the purpose of a subjective test if audio is completely based on preference.

Quote:
I suspect you're just hoping to take this thread back in a subjective direction--perhaps because you own a Cowon? I can't really be much more clear on what's valid and what's not to objectively compare players among different reviews. There are good reasons why the audio industry conducts all the standard measurements with EQ turned off. You don't have to agree with them.

I wouldn't say that, I've owned quite a few players and given them all their fair share. I try to be as un-biased as humanly possible, and I completely admit that some iPods sound really good! I just consider the Cowon better, and that's the main point I'm trying to convey here, which is really the point of the thread.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #105 of 129
To get an accurate reading, one would have to take the design of every human's ear into account. Surely one person's ear is denser in one area than another. Peaks and valleys being slightly different could potentially make a difference in sound. So if technicality is to be taken seriously, it needs to be done to the highest level. Hence, objectivity is really subjective unless just looking at the computer reading. Even then there is altitude, air pressure, oxygen levels to take into account. If a truly accurate picture is to be painted, of course. Any other test is just subjective, no matter how it is put. Arguing with a blind monkey is a good way to pass the time, I supopse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back