What is Your Dream Speaker Rig?
Apr 3, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #63 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
just don't go for the "caster feet option".

we call that a burgular "aid" around thse parts
very_evil_smiley.gif

Spiked into the slab, Rick.

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #64 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by felixkrull6
A pair of B&W 800D along with the entire Classe Omega line of pre-amp, amp, sacd player.

I've never heard the B&W's but the entire Classe Omega line paired with Martin Logan Statement E2's is um...pretty jaw dropping
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #65 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I've never heard the B&W's but the entire Classe Omega line paired with Martin Logan Statement E2's is um...pretty jaw dropping
smily_headphones1.gif

B&W has a sound I have really liked for the past 25 years or so. Of the people who have been in the market for speakers that I've suggested listen to B&W (and that B&W was in their budget range), the vast majority have ended up buying B&Ws after listening to them. B&W makes a lot of speakers for different applications at different price points, but they all seem to maintain the B&W sound. BTW, the B&W 800s benefit from a really beefy amp to control bass response.

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #67 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
No question:

mbl101e_L.jpg

Oh...and the house to build the listening room around them
biggrin.gif
!

Hey Jimmy, we think alike! I've just bought a pair of these, but mine are black with gold trim. I've been listening practically non-stop all week.

They sound pretty amazing, considering that I'm using Bel Canto digital amps with them at the moment. With my Bel Canto amps, I've bridged 2 channels each for the upper and for the lower frequencies of each speaker. This gives a total of 8 channels of amplification (800 wpc at 4 ohms) driving the 2 speakers, but they still need more "juice" I'm afraid. It's no problem to get them up to 90-95 dB, and very clean at that, but once I go a little louder, the amps start to clip and will actually shut down. I'm using my Maestro ZR as a preamp and Denon 5910 as the source.

I'm still trying to decide what to do in terms of amplification, but am leaning more and more toward getting a pair of the MBL 9008 amps along with their 6010D preamp. But I think what you've said about these speakers it totally correct. You really need to build a dedicated listening room for the 101E's. I feel that even with the Maestro ZR and Bel Canto amps, my room is the main thing that is holding these speakers back. Some of my room "problems" could be fixed with treatments, but building a dedicated room around them will probably be much easier in the end. Plus, it will allow me to position the speakers along the long wall of the room as MBL suggests. This was the way that they were set up in April of 2004 when I first heard them at the Hilton in NY, and I haven't forgotten that sound since then. With the right room and properly treated, I'm hoping to recreate that magic.

In the meantime, they sound considerably better than anything I've heard in my less than optimal room with less than optimal electronics being them. I'm a pretty happy camper these days...

Apr 3, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #68 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
Do they have a warm sound?

I'm not very good at verbal descriptions of component sound because of the subjective nature of the task and my unwillingness to pigeon-hole. That said, I would call the B&W sound neutral with slight warmth, all other things being equal. Further, I would say they make it easy to spot other sound chain component differences. Finally, B&W has always stuck me as being remarkably fresh and open when reasonably well set up.

Apr 3, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #69 of 133
it's not my ultimate dream speaker, but i've gotta give props to the ASW Genius 400:

ASW-Genius-400_htm_17051cdb.jpg

From a Thorens TT into a humble ASL integrated tube amp, they just sounded... live. like i was in a jazz club.

Apr 3, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #72 of 133
Quad stacked (2x2) QUAD ESL 989s fed from monoblock modded QUAD 909 amps.

...fed from a soundblaster AWE 64 :p

Apr 3, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #73 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
No question:

mbl101e_L.jpg

Oh...and the house to build the listening room around them
biggrin.gif
!

looks really cool!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back