Originally Posted by NiceCans
Just a modest setup to use when I do not feel like wearing headphones

GDWallofSound.jpg

Apr 3, 2006 at 11:33 PM Post #78 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
That "speaker" setup will only make very loud noises
tongue.gif

Those speakers produced some of the most enjoyable music I've heard.
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #79 of 133
My dream setup is a sphere with stacked nanobots for audio and video. That sphere would also simulate gravity and G-forces, it's great for racing games.
icon10.gif

All nanobots are connected to each other and when they receive a command (music track) they will get to work. There will be billions of nanobots inside the sphere and each one will output different frequencies (colors and tones).

What's even better is to have nanobots inside your body which manipulate all your human senses. I can see the future now, humans will be injected with nanobots and be put inside sensory deprivation tanks. Then the nanobots will start working on your body and brain.
evil_smiley.gif
You can create your own dream world...or you can create hell. You wake up when the pre-programmed goal has been completed, but you wouldn't even know you are being controlled by nanobots, you are actually just there for the ride and can't control your own thoughs. Hmm, maybe I'm there already... I'm hoping I wake up after posting this message. Edit: Didn't work.

But until that comes I would like a cube with 26+1 speakers (1 is on your chest). Even 8 speakers (1 in each corner) would be fine if you keep your head still. The cube would either be smaller than a normal room, or your chair could be higher, so that your head would be in the exact centre of the room.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #80 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x
That "speaker" setup will only make very loud noises
tongue.gif

That speaker setup was the highest fidelity PA ever. Each stack was only responsible for reproducing the sound from a single microphone or DI input.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #81 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
That speaker setup was the highest fidelity PA ever. Each stack was only responsible for reproducing the sound from a single microphone or DI input.

Now there's a man in the know
biggrin.gif

sorry . . . didn't really copy-cat you,
I was just pretty slow in getting it onto Photobucket to complete my post here and you beat me to it
rolleyes.gif

And it was definately the BEST sounding PA system I have ever heard in all my lifetime of concerts.

Apr 4, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #82 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I don't know about owning, but I should would love to audition:

Sonus Faber Stradivari:

stradivari_pair.jpg

Focal JM Labs Grande Utopia Be:

34facesignature.jpg

Von Schweikert VR9 SE

VR-9SE_front_SM.jpg

Von Schweikert VR 11

vr11_SM.jpg

Then I would also need to audition the electronics worthy of such loudspeakers.
rolleyes.gif

I've heard the Utopia. It blew me away. I believe it was being powered by Moon Audio electronics but I can't say for sure. It had the amazing ability to project sound in a way that gave no hint that it all came from 2 speakers. They sounded very transparent, it was just music and that was it.

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #83 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah there's linkwitz orions almost everywhere. i've heard them and they are amazing little speakers, well not little but they sure are nice. only thing that turns me off is that you need many, many amplifiers and good amps costs a ton. For me it's a tossup between the QuadESL and the Orions, I would like to see an updated version of Orion since it's an old design and today we have even lower distortion tweeters, midranges, and woofers, and for cheaper too.

The Orion++ adds another high-range to the back and comes closer to reality by another notch. I think Mr. Linkwitz picked what he picked for their measurements. Are there better speakers to put in there? Possibly. I be he'd also have to re-tune the shape of the frame to work with them (those side pieces are cut for their radiation properties)

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #85 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it me or is there a "trend" here towrds either Large Format or High Efficiency speakers,Kinda dispells that wimp "mini monitor" theory and blasts it to shreds as it should except for up close and personal listening
very_evil_smiley.gif

Don't get me wrong, I love my PSB Platinum M2 standmounts. But if price were no object than you can be damn sure my speakers would be as big as Subarus and cost twice as much.

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #87 of 133
my dream rig is more about the room than the system. as long as i have ten G's to put it together, it'll be good

but an acoustically treated, sound-dampened room, with a beautiful view and the most comfortable recliner on earth, and make it a massager
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and the setup would probably run in the $3k range and involve fullrange drivers in horns, with a media pc in the closet (SILENT), and a little lcd panel next to my chair, and all my music in flac, a solid dac (say $1k ish with a non-spdif transport), and some very nice mono-block amps

just two drivers. no sub (large, horn cabinet for low-end). possibly ribbon tweeters but most likely not.

most importantly is the room: i want it painted dark, cozy rugs and couches and what-not. heavily acoustically treated. just incredibly comfortable. would have a projector and it would double as the video room as well.

oh, i forgot the most important aspect of all: a jacuzzi in the room (would need some venting in the ceiling
smily_headphones1.gif
) and give me a waterproof remote for the media pc.

it's ALL about the environment baby

oh, and this isn't just a dream, i'm building this **** once i actually have a decent job
smily_headphones1.gif
part of my galactic empire

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #89 of 133
well, an actual plausible speaker rig:

Esoteric SA-60 / Slim Devices Transporter -> Supratek Sauvignon -> FirstWatt F1 -> Zu Cable Druids / Zu Cable Method Subwoofer
$5000 + $3500 + $2000 + $3000 + $2500 = $20000. added $3000, because if i had a setup like that i'd bling out the Sauvignon and the Druids. it woudl be located in a nice acoustically treated room, with all of the SACDs, DVD-As and LPs stored near the ground in cabinets as to not ruin the acoustics with giant racks. all of the CDs would be ripped for the transporter. of course we have the coziest recliner the world has ever seen.

something that i'll actually get before i get into college?

Slim Devices Transporter -> Melos SHA-Gold Reference -> RedWineAudio Signature 30 -> Omega Compact Hemp

$2000 + <$1000 + $1400 + $1400 = $6000 after interconnects, since i doubt a SHA-Gold would go for $1000. that of course my Grados would run off of the pre-amp, saving me money.

now, how about i really start dreaming:

Esoteric P-01 -> Esoteric D-01s -> darTZeel NHB-18NS -> darTZeel NHB-108 -> Quad ESL 2905s / Kharma Ceramique Subwoofer

$.....a lot. all Nordost Valhalla cabling of course!

i think i'll just keep dreaming about the $20,000 setup to keep me sane.
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #90 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1100874837.jpg

1100874838.jpg

1100874839.jpg

I win?
biggrin.gif

that's awesome, but much too sterile for me. i like more comfort and warmth; and a lot more couches
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back