What is Your Dream Speaker Rig?
Jan 23, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #31 of 133
My parents have some big prism shaped Vandersteens and a prosumer amp (decided it wasnt worth the big money boost to go McIntosh when they're new in the whole deal)

But man, I sure miss them, the speakers in my laptop (when I dont want to wear headphones) are probably worth about $10 *tear*

...home sweet home...

Jan 23, 2006 at 8:12 AM Post #32 of 133
You know, I like what I've got. It's like the Grado SR60 of speakers, KLH 9250B towers. They sound frickin' amazing for the price, and the only thing I could really ask for is a finished room to listen to them in (my home is a work in perpetual progress
frown.gif
), that, and timbre+sensitivity matched surrounds and center speakers to go with them.

But another dream system of mine would probably be an all-electrostatic speaker setup, like three 1'x2' panels, one 6"x2' panel, and two 5'x1' panels as the main speakers and a conventional, yet extremely powerful sub to match with them, like a Carver Sunfire or something (I don't even remember if that's the name of the subwoofer
smily_headphones1.gif
). Another rig I'd like to settle for if I can't go that far would be, and don't laugh... too hard...

...is a Bose Westborough 464 tower pair, with a magnetic shielded 121 for center, and three to four 121V's as surrounds. It's actually quite exotic and rare. The 121's alone sound better than just about every speaker sold by Bose in the 'States, as these are a Japan-only beast. But really I'd prefer the electrostatic ubersystem if I could build it myself
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #33 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I really want to audition the Linkwitz Orions but I don't think that's possible.

Have you tried sending an email to Siegfried Linkwitz? There is a possibility that he could hook you up with an Orion owner in Zurich. They do sound amazing...

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #35 of 133
I'd probably get dcs digital stuff, SME analog stuff, huge krell amps, and some nice ATC speakers if I had enough cash. However, I think the jbl paragon system with 47 labs stuff and a good tt would highly amuse me.

Jan 29, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 133
Yeah there's linkwitz orions almost everywhere. i've heard them and they are amazing little speakers, well not little but they sure are nice. only thing that turns me off is that you need many, many amplifiers and good amps costs a ton. For me it's a tossup between the QuadESL and the Orions, I would like to see an updated version of Orion since it's an old design and today we have even lower distortion tweeters, midranges, and woofers, and for cheaper too.

My ultimate desire is a speaker made out of plasma, which already exist but are extremely rare and emits poisonous gas and helium.

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #38 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
No question:Radialstrahler mbl 101e

http://www.gcaudio.com/photos/MBL/mbl101e_L.jpg

They'd be among the first I'd want to hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1100874837.jpg
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1100874838.jpg
http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1100874839.jpg

I win?
biggrin.gif

He (Mike) upgraded the speakers since that picture I believe but I can't remember what to. I guess "upgrade" is the wrong word!
tongue.gif

We'll say a different pair. Yep Kharma I'd like to hear.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
ATC speakers if I had enough cash.

Active SMC150 for me.

And throw in a pair of 4x the price (100K+) giant Rockports and Wilsons in a bang-for-the-buck shootout.
cool.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:30 PM Post #39 of 133
The Von Schweikert VR-1s on some nice, heavy stands is about all I would need. The Omega Audio loudspeakers are nice, too.

Jan 30, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #41 of 133
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella
The Von Schweikert VR-1s on some nice, heavy stands is about all I would need. The Omega Audio loudspeakers are nice, too.

I couldn't be happier w/ my VR1s and VRS-1 sub. No desire to upgrade for my smallish room. Maybe some bigger tube power but for the hrs/wk I have, I'm doin' great.
CPW
Dream rig would probably include some Wilsons or something else I cant afford.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:10 AM Post #43 of 133
sent-grand_HF.jpg

Avalon Acoustics Sentinels would be my first choice. Too bad Hales Design Group does not exist anymore. Their Trancendent 5s were at least within my league.
frown.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #44 of 133
Avantgarde Trio Classico & Basshorns.

basshorns2.jpg

I heard duos once and I thought that they sounded even better than the B&W 800 on a high-end system, which I consider amazing speakers as well.

EDIT: Post 777!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back