What is a closed headphone upgrade that is leaps and bounds above the Ath m50x? Lets make a list of the step ups in quality help me out my friends!
Feb 12, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #46 of 83

Too much bass compared to neutral reference headphones but not much bass compared to most consumer headphones (and the bass is very good quality). The 1540 are almost neutral according to the "harman response curve" but not neutral if you think that is a flat line at 0db. I think they are a perfect balance between "consumer beats sound" and "professional reference" sound.

Those were the 1540 (on the right) I listened too and they were an absolute bass cannon. I had to turn my amp down to -7 to even listen to them. And I listen to t50rp @ +9, so its not that my amp is overpowering headphones. 

Far from neutral and reference. They are a "fun" headphone if you like bass and that's about it. 

Shure 1540's are Beats by dre done by an audiophile. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #47 of 83

Those were the 1540 (on the right) I listened too and they were an absolute bass cannon. I had to turn my amp down to -7 to even listen to them. And I listen to t50rp @ +9, so its not that my amp is overpowering headphones. 

Just different preferences... I like bass and the SRH 1540 at stock do not have enough bass below 80hz for me but is about perfect above that,  Clearly you would be better off with something like the AKG headphones which have rolled off bass (sounds thin to me but you would like it probably).

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #48 of 83

Ha! The Focal Spirit Professional is in that photo as well. Care to compare them all?
biggrin.gif

At any rate, I highly doubt the 1540 would have nearly as much bass as the V-MODA Crossfade LP, which sounds like pure mud compared to relatively high fidelity open headphones I've heard.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #49 of 83

Ha! The Focal Spirit Professional is in that photo as well. Care to compare them all?
biggrin.gif

At any rate, I highly doubt the 1540 would have nearly as much bass as the V-MODA Crossfade LP, which sounds like pure mud compared to relatively high fidelity open headphones I've heard.

The 1540 are not even that bassy compared to most "basshead" consumer headphones, they have warm lower midrange and a decent amount of bass, if you want a "bass canon" there are loads of headphones which have more bass than the SRH 1540 but not many that have the same quality.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #50 of 83

The 1540 are not even that bassy compared to most "basshead" consumer headphones, they have warm lower midrange and a decent amount of bass, if you want a "bass canon" there are loads of headphones which have more bass than the SRH 1540 but not many that have the same quality.

The thing that makes 1540's special is there is isn't any drastic spikes. It's a bass cannon that also has a smooth decline into the higher ranges. Because of this you can listen to them for a while without it fatiguing. 

That day I heard over 60 headphones and none of them compared to the 1540's bass. Then again I don't do closed headphones because reguardless of how great the design is they are going to sound inferior to a lesser opened headphone. 

One of those 60 was the ath50. I had it on for 20 seconds and it sounded like there was 3 socks between the driver and my ear. So to the original question the 1540 would be a massive ugprade to the ath50.

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #51 of 83

The thing that makes 1540's special is there is isn't any drastic spikes. It's a bass cannon that also has a smooth decline into the higher ranges. Because of this you can listen to them for a while without it fatiguing. 

That day I heard over 60 headphones and none of them compared to the 1540's bass. Then again I don't do closed headphones because reguardless of how great the design is they are going to sound inferior to a lesser opened headphone. 

One of those 60 was the ath50. I had it on for 20 seconds and it sounded like there was 3 socks between the driver and my ear. So to the original question the 1540 would be a massive ugprade to the ath50.

Yes I have no idea why the M50 is so popular, it sounds decent for the money but nothing special. The word I would use for the 1540 is "balance"... Shure did an excellent job of balancing every part of the sound... they are technically good, easy to listen to for long periods (not harsh at all), work with all genres (very good with electronic) and do not sound boring, but not so "V" shaped that the mids are missing or the treble is harsh.

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #52 of 83
I still think the m50s are great headphones. Are they perfect? No. Are they a good value? In my opinion yes. As for the shure 1540 the Bower P7 has loads of more bass and brighter treble and voices sound more forward but at higher volumes can sound artifical. Meanwhile the shure is very balanced and so beautiful. Both lovely headphones. I still am not positive if the shure 1540 is my cup of tea for portable use without a portable cable. All these cable companies want 250 dollars for a custom cable which is insane. A cable should be a fraction of the price of the actual headphones. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:28 AM Post #53 of 83
The funny thing is, I owned the QC15 for years and always heard about how even headphones a third the price were better...but after trying a good number of headphones (including more expensive ones) I realized that the others were nowhere near as good in many categories! I wouldn't recommend them since I still feel they are overpriced for what they are, but it was an enlightening experience to find how well they can hold their own.

Feb 16, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #54 of 83
  I still think the m50s are great headphones. Are they perfect? No. Are they a good value? In my opinion yes. As for the shure 1540 the Bower P7 has loads of more bass and brighter treble and voices sound more forward but at higher volumes can sound artifical. Meanwhile the shure is very balanced and so beautiful. Both lovely headphones. I still am not positive if the shure 1540 is my cup of tea for portable use without a portable cable. All these cable companies want 250 dollars for a custom cable which is insane. A cable should be a fraction of the price of the actual headphones. 

Oh right... for portable headphones maybe not the 1540, they are not meant to be portable... But they do have a nice hard case that comes with them so you could use them portable... Maybe try the NAD HP50 they are supposed to be good (sounded decent from a 10 min shop demo but hard to tell from that) and are small.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #56 of 83
  Yeah Idk I wish someone could compare the Akg k545 and shure 1540 for me I have heard both but cant remember good enough. The Hp50s would make me feel like a fool to ever wear those in public.

Another good closed headphone is the Denon D2000, you can get them on ebay, better in some ways and worse in others compared to 1540, if I could only have one pair it would be the 1540, but then the 1540 cost almost double the price of D2000.

Feb 17, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #57 of 83
I'd vouch for the ath-msr7. Two headfiers loved them to bits, and you guys probably would too.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #59 of 83
I was researching new headphones recently, the 3 headphones that came up as portable and good were the focal spirit pro (or classic can't remember), NAD HP50 and PSB m4u2 (the last 2 are similar as they have the same driver as far as I know.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:20 AM Post #60 of 83
M50x mids leave a lot to be desired, that kinda just kills the timbre and mids resolution is just something these don't have even with heavy eq. So it wouldn't take much to be a big upgrade from them, I still think they're decent headphones but need to be priced lower than the $150 or whatever they go for In order to be an ok value IMO. I think the usual heavy hitters commonly mentioned are a worthwhile upgrade.

Sony MDR-1520 - way better timbre, fuller mids, much better instrument separation and imaging, stunning resolution(bass and mids). Comfort is about the same and m50x have a bigger soundstage.

Focal Spirit Pro- much better tonal balance, way more detailed, much bigger soundstage and its accompanying benefits, real bass slam, this is probably the best sounding closed headphone I've ever heard but....the fit sucks, tiny cups and clampy, apparent build quality issues, edgy upper mids

Shure 1540- yeah these aren't neutral, not even close. BUT they are probably the best upgrade for someone who likes the M50x sound, the Shures sound too warm and bass happy, transition from bass to mids is murky and the treble can be a little sharp, but they are super comfortable and the pads are awesome and don't suffer fit issues like the Focals. Where these lack the most compared to the Focal and the Sony aside from tonality is bass detail and resolution. also bass is a little loose and not as controlled as you'd expect given the price, m50x is tighter. They are overpriced new but if you can find a deal they are much better than M50x.

NAD HP50- warmer fuller sound, good detail, much bigger soundstage particularly height, very good treble though needs more air, the m50x sounds very thin in comparison, great bass depth with very tight punchy bass. Some lower treble forwardness that doesn't jive with the rest of the smooth response, much higher clamping force, look weird on the head.

Momentum- it kinda just sounds like someone took the M50x and refined it and pushed the mids up lowered the bass and treble slightly, momentum is more neutral , very very good mids, treble is more laid back but still sounds full with better detail retrieval, bass is a little loose but not as much as the shure, it doesn't do much wrong unlike the M50x except for fit which the earcups are small but more comfy than Focal due to less clamp force but still M50x are roomier and Momentums are hard to wear for longer periods.

AKG K550- the much bigger soundstage, much better clarity, and more neutral (if a bit thin) tonality I think makes it a pretty clear upgrade, more details come through with that better clarity and its also more comfortable. Really curious to try the K545 but I'm afraid the soundstage will be worse and that's pretty much the only thing this has going for it, even so the fact that it's priced essentially the same as M50x and can EQ like a champ make it a no brainier IMO.

NVX XPT100- there's a lot of headphones I prefer over the M50x but a lot of that has to do with personal preferences such as the Sony 1R, UE6000, CAL!, Takstar Pro80 but I don't think those are necessarily better than M50x just different. The XPT100 tho since it's also a studio monitor, deliver better bass definition and tonality while also having fuller and more resolving mids, the treble isn't as smooth as M50x but it has a big comfort advantage and timbre is also lots better. Oh and it's exactly half the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back