What is a closed headphone upgrade that is leaps and bounds above the Ath m50x? Lets make a list of the step ups in quality help me out my friends!
Feb 12, 2015 at 3:01 AM Post #31 of 83
all awesome input you guys! Its such a shame that the fostex lines don't  have a removable cable. So insane for 900$ headphones. So tonight I got a chance to compare the P7 and Shure 1540. If anyone wants details let me know on this thread. The 1540's sound simply amazing never heard anything like them even from my fidelio x2! Bass is great and very detailed but I would never even for a second call these bass cannons. I wouldn't mind a tad bit more bass.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #32 of 83
  all awesome input you guys! Its such a shame that the fostex lines don't  have a removable cable. So insane for 900$ headphones. So tonight I got a chance to compare the P7 and Shure 1540. If anyone wants details let me know on this thread. The 1540's sound simply amazing never heard anything like them even from my fidelio x2! Bass is great and very detailed but I would never even for a second call these bass cannons. I wouldn't mind a tad bit more bass.

EQ the sub bass below 60hz and they have quite a lot of bass, not as much as denon / fostex, but quite a lot of bass and the quality is very good with good recordings. I have had the 1540 on for about 10 hours lol, about the 10th time I have done an all nighter since I got them they are addictive haha, they are very good with electronic music, the Denons / fostex are good but no chance I could wear those for more than a few hours because of the treble...  trust me just buy the 1540 they are the best closed headphone at the price!

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #33 of 83
Here is the EQ I use for electronic music, I turn it down for other genres but it works with electronic music if you like that... mids and treble on these is as close to perfect as I have heard so no EQ other than bass. They have quite a lot of bass when EQ but any more than about 7db and it starts to distort a bit and drowns out the midrange.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #34 of 83
The Audio technica msr7 is something you guys should look up as well, those are over the m50x and compete against the HP50s.

Feb 12, 2015 at 4:44 AM Post #35 of 83
I recommend a good source with the 1540 as well... Out of the Xonar STX the treble was a bit bright and harsh sometimes, out of the NAD D1050 the treble has NO grain or sibilance at all. The treble is balanced perfectly between being boring eg. HD650 and being too bright eg. D2000, HE400. Actually everything on this headphone is balanced perfectly except a bit more bass below 40hz would be nice.

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #37 of 83
  I recommend a good source with the 1540 as well... Out of the Xonar STX the treble was a bit bright and harsh sometimes, out of the NAD D1050 the treble has NO grain or sibilance at all. The treble is balanced perfectly between being boring eg. HD650 and being too bright eg. D2000, HE400. Actually everything on this headphone is balanced perfectly except a bit more bass below 40hz would be nice.

Have you compared the Shure to the Focal Spirit Professional? I bought the latter, which is said to be more neutral than most headphones. The Shure seems pretty interesting, though. I've only briefly researched it.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #40 of 83

In that case, this gives me all the more reason to care about it, as a potentially complementary headphone.

Shure 1540 if you have an amp that allows you to go + and - from 0 then you will enjoy them. On my desktop amp it goes from -10 to +10. On -7 the 1540 sound really good to me. @ 0 they sound very bassy and at +10 it sounds like an earthquake. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 83
  Shure 1540 if you have an amp that allows you to go + and - from 0 then you will enjoy them. On my desktop amp it goes from -10 to +10. On -7 the 1540 sound really good to me. @ 0 they sound very bassy and at +10 it sounds like an earthquake. 

Hmm. I still want the JVC HA-SZ2000 first, mainly for its bass. But the Shure seems like a good mixture of it all.

Feb 12, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #42 of 83

Hmm. I still want the JVC HA-SZ2000 first, mainly for its bass. But the Shure seems like a good mixture of it all.

If you want bass and lightness the shure 1540's are wonderful. I personally dislike the 1540's because they have way too much bass. Despite the overwhelming bass they do a good job not distorting the mids and highs. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #43 of 83

Have you compared the Shure to the Focal Spirit Professional? I bought the latter, which is said to be more neutral than most headphones. The Shure seems pretty interesting, though. I've only briefly researched it.

I skipped those because they look small and reports of bad comfort... The sound looks good from reviews etc. (never heard it) But the size and fit would instantly make them no good for me, like the HP50 too small and too shallow earcups. The 1540 however are THE most comfortable headphones I have used and have worn them for 10+ hours many times with no problems and also no ear pain from the sound.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #44 of 83

If you want bass and lightness the shure 1540's are wonderful. I personally dislike the 1540's because they have way too much bass. Despite the overwhelming bass they do a good job not distorting the mids and highs. 

Too much bass compared to neutral reference headphones but not much bass compared to most consumer headphones (and the bass is very good quality). The 1540 are almost neutral according to the "harman response curve" but not neutral if you think that is a flat line at 0db. I think they are a perfect balance between "consumer beats sound" and "professional reference" sound. The sound quality of reference headphones but frequency response that is not boring.

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #45 of 83

They will have the most bass but you won't get the midrange, treble and sounstage of the SRH 1540, they are almost half the price of the 1540 though...

Try and find a pair of used 1540 on ebay, I got a pair that are 100% as new for £300 delivered so very happy with them at that price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back