What is a closed headphone upgrade that is leaps and bounds above the Ath m50x? Lets make a list of the step ups in quality help me out my friends!
Jan 11, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 83
That's funny you mentioned that I already have a pair on there way :) man Im getting kind of tired of the headphone game. Sometimes I feel like upgrades in the closed back world are pretty good but not that much better but Im a newb so what do I know? Im thinking about trying the shure 1540s and if I don't like them selling them and buying the nicest bluetooth pair I can find and some audeze lcd 2s and just moving into other audio territory 

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #17 of 83
  That's funny you mentioned that I already have a pair on there way :) man Im getting kind of tired of the headphone game. Sometimes I feel like upgrades in the closed back world are pretty good but not that much better but Im a newb so what do I know? Im thinking about trying the shure 1540s and if I don't like them selling them and buying the nicest bluetooth pair I can find and some audeze lcd 2s and just moving into other audio territory 

Yes try some SRH 1540 and get a NAD D1050 Dac as well, best sound I have heard out of headphones.

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #19 of 83
Man I am getting frustrated I have been trying so many headphones and am yet to be satisfied. I need to try the Shures. I just want to hear every detail of the music. Emphasized mids and hi's with bass that is powerful with no bleeding. I litteraly have been doing research everyday for the past two months man. This is exhausting. Just tried the shure 940s and thought they sounded amazing that might be my answer. The build quality is made out of toothpicks though :frowning2:

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #21 of 83
M70x! Oh nose!

Ah man.. I was hoping it had 70mm drivers... Dang! Still running a 45mm...

Hmm it better sound amazing for $419 msrp

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #23 of 83
The Shure 1540s are really really comfortable, I routinely wear them for eight hours at a time. The mids are like liquid gold, absolutely amazing! Overall they are slightly warmer than neutral, the bass can be a bit punchy when amped too much, but at lower levels (especially if playing from a portable source) it's ideal. The soundstage is huge, matching that of many open backs. I would definitely recommend trying them in a shop, as chances are you'll know whether you like this headphone or not within 10-20 minutes of listening.

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #24 of 83
70X!?!?!? When does this come out?? Im putting in money in my cd drive but it does nothing :frowning2: bad ass Im so stoked!  I will definently try the shures my man. I think Im just going to order through amazon and if they are no good return them. I wonder how the shure 940s compare to the 1540s??

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #25 of 83
+1 for the Sony MDR Z7. The Beyerdynamic T5P are great, brighter than the 7Zs, also almost double the price. I really like the Akg 550. I'd say these are more than a side step from the ATH Xs, especially the first two.

Jan 30, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #27 of 83
Just an FYI Shures have a very, very different sound from M50s, actually the opposite in ways - mid-forward rather than v-shaped, definitely less bass. I love a few of their cans, but they sound very, very different from the M50s. DT770s are closer in general sound sig.

If you want to go open, I think the Hifiman HE400i or HE560, depending on budget, are a natural upgrade path from the M50s, but you'll likely need to upgrade your amp/source.

If you don't want to upgrade source though, the DT770s are great cans. Listening to Shpongle on TIDAL on mine out of my Nexus 7 as I lay in bed typing this.

Basically for the upgrade path from M50, for open cans I'd say go to DT990 then up the Hifiman range; for closed, DT770 then Fostex TH line. But the midrange Beyers (770/990) will be the best cans you'll want to have without upgrading your amp/source, and will themselves show the benefits of upgrading your source if you choose to do so before going for the higher end stuff.

Jan 30, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #28 of 83
ATH-W1000Z vs SONY MDR Z7 vs SHURE 1540 let's compare please! I'm also considering an upgrade from my M50x at the moment!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #29 of 83
Shure 1540's in my mind are the Beats by Dre done by an audiophile. My amp runs -10 to +10 and I had to turn it to -7 to listen to them. Their comfort and build quality are top notch. Unlike the beats you can hear the other ranges with good clarity. If you are a bass-head that doesn't want the mid/highs completely overshadowed then its the headphone for you. The $500 price tag is why you don't see many people using them. In my best estimate I'd say they are a 300-350$ pair of headphones.

Grados: These aren't fun in anyway. Grados are pain. No combo of pads will prevent the wearing and listening fatigue.

Sennheiser 650: Wonderful headphones. Both their sound and physical comfort are top notch. Big issue on the headband cracking. They tend to round off the mid's and highs so you don't get the ear piercing mids and highs. I personally like this sound but the grado crowd I know hates it.

Hifiman: Stock cables on the 300 and 400's are microphonic. If anything touches the cable you'll hear this annoying noise in the ear cups. The stock pads on both are uncomfortable and the only pad they offer that are comfortable are glued together. If you want to put the extra money into a new cable and pads they aren't bad at all. A little on the heavy side.  

If you need a closed headphone and you need bass the Beyerdynamic 770's are wonderful. More room for your ears to breathe, more soundstage and a more satisfying bass vs the m50x. In my mind the 770's are a direct upgrade to the AT m50x. The open version of the 770's is the 990's. I own a pair myself and for certain music love them. They are known to fatigue some people after 20 minutes. 

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #30 of 83
  Shure 1540's in my mind are the Beats by Dre done by an audiophile. My amp runs -10 to +10 and I had to turn it to -7 to listen to them. Their comfort and build quality are top notch. Unlike the beats you can hear the other ranges with good clarity. If you are a bass-head that doesn't want the mid/highs completely overshadowed then its the headphone for you. The $500 price tag is why you don't see many people using them. In my best estimate I'd say they are a 300-350$ pair of headphones.

$300-$350 pfft they are worth the selling price, you get spare pads, spare cable, high grade materials, carbon fibre! Also sound better than any headphone in the price bracket (if you only have 1 pair of "all rounders") They sound good with everything. beats are junk that is offensive to the 1540! I can't remember the M50 very well but personally don't know why they are so popular they don't even sound that good, just "ok" for the price... The 1540 or HIFIMAN etc. are a "night and day" better upgrade to the M50. I wouldn't recommend the DT990 unless you enjoy getting your eardrums assaulted with sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back