What "house sound" annoys you the most?
Aug 22, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #61 of 154
If those graphs were done with sinewaves or any similar test tone, that's why they're "useless" (note I put that in quotation, before anyone calls me in on that) in how they sound in the real world because real music doesn't sound anything like that test tone. When it plays through one freq on a test tone, it's playing ONLY that freq, not a wide range of freqs at any given moment where the drivers would have to move differently in order to play them all. This doesn't mean that these test tones are totally useless. I still use test tones to map out time alignment and graphic EQ settings on my car's audio system, but even then I leave a little spike in the 2khz to 4khz region (to keep the vocals forward) while taming any spikes in the 5khz to 10khz region (to tame sybillance).

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #62 of 154

Quote:
Well, at least you're bowing to me now, that's a start. :wink: On a more serious note, my graph proves they're completely useless quite clearly. If you have heard all of these headphones, you will understand why it's funny and proves relatively nothing about how they sound in the real world.

Check out pretty much any M50 post and you will see very many respected members stating the M50 has recessed mids, U shaped frequency response (since you seemingly have a fetish for those). Maybe you just haven't heard very many headphones to be able to compare them? Listen to HD600s or K701s and tell me the M50s don't have recessed mids.  :)

Yeah, my MD's are known to have poor mids and a V-shape, part of my fetish right?  530 and MD users are known to not like mids I guess.   I think most of what people refer to as recessed mids on the M50 is a result of referencing upper bass bloat.  Tune the bass and you hear the mids quite clearly since they were always there, not forward but not recessed.  There is a slight dip, spike and dip again w/ the upper mids but not too bad.  I guess recession to me usually sounds more severe to warrant the claim.  Maybe my reference for mid-recession is too IEM based.   /Shrug.   Are my 225s and DT440s also part of my mid recessed fetish?  

Aug 23, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #63 of 154
Probably Audio Technica. Just simply don't suit me well for music (mainly because I listen to trance, rock and metal). Ultrasone or Denon would be 2nd. I am definitely not a basshead. Couldn't stand the D5000's bass (MarkL modded, too). Loved the K701 I tried (acoustical and jazz) and loving K1000 I have right now (trance, acoustical, jazz, metal (shocked?)). Grado I respect, but I think I have some hearing damage. Ever since I went to a concert (was furthest away from the speakers as possible mind you), I have had slight ringing in my ears and cannot really listen to a Grado like I used to. They are too shrill for me. This is the HF-2. Couldn't imagine something like SR225 again (used to own and loved them).

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #64 of 154
I hate AT (queeek) & Ultrasone (booom-shhhh), and I dislike Denon (booom). There are some exceptions, but not many...

I'm also not exactly a Senn fanboy, but I regard most Senns as at least useable.

Aug 23, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #66 of 154
I used to like Grados in the past, but i got tired of their treble after some time, now i find them unlistenable unless used with very good recordings.

Aug 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #68 of 154

Quote:
Any house sound you do not hate?

The complete remainder...and the (rare) good models of AT and US (Denon doesn't have any
evil_smiley.gif
)

Aug 23, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #70 of 154
My complete list is more "picky" than Nickchen's. 

My complete list of house sounds I dislike would be:

Denon
Ultrasone
Beyerdynamic (haven't heard the T1)
AudioTechnica (except the M50, and I've never heard the W1000x)
John Grado (they're pretty good with flats but the bass gets boomy and they're still harsh)
Sony

And the rest of the brands are hit and miss.  I like the HD600, but not the HD800 and the HD650 is only good out of really powerful amps.  I like many AKG's but I don't like the K701.  The only house sound that I like in it's entirety is Joe Grado.  They all sound fantastic, they just get better as you go up the line.  Stax is also pretty good, but the lambda's IME don't have enough weight in the lower end.  Fostex is good but they need to be modded.

Aug 24, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #71 of 154

uote:
A picky dude, huh? :wink:

Some years ago, everything I tried sounded indistinguishably great...must be an experience and maturing thing I guess...
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back