what high-end IEM to buy?
Jan 20, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #17 of 22
I'm gonna agree with customs. That's the route I am about to go. I have the ER4P, the SE530, the MD Tributes, Turbine Coppers, Brainwavz M3, etc etc and although there're good things about each? The fit and seal have been more crucial than anything else and nothing's going to have proper fit like a custom earmold.

Jan 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #18 of 22

Quote:
AT CK100 - wonderful midrange, but the sub-bass is lacking.

With a good seal actually not.  The low end sensitivity is quite good and extended.  There are just a lot of earphones that are bass heavy that tend to make more balanced earphones sound bass light.  People gain expectations of what this or that song is supposed to have for bass given their past experience typically with bass dominant earphones.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #19 of 22
Shure SE530/535 or Hifiman RE262 should be your primary considerations. Ortofon e-Q7 also has very good mids, but is a bit on the dry, analytical side compared to the previously mentioned two. Earsonics SM3 is also very good in the midrange, but even more neutral/analytical. So it depends on whether you are looking for a fun sound or tend to analyze your music critically.

I would avoid UM3X (recessed treble), RE252 (too analytical and dry sounding throughout the spectrum), IE8 (way, way too much bass), Triple.fi (mids lack texture and definition), Ortofon e-Q5 (mids lack some air and are just not very good technically), and Westone 3 (recessed mids, too much upper bass).

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #20 of 22
I hope you don't mind me borrowing the thread. I too am looking for new IEMs, coming from a pair of HiFiMAN RE-ZEROs. My main gripes with them are that they're quite aggressive, overly bright, small sound stage and underwhelming low end.

I love bass but I want it where it's supposed to be. I want it to be accurate and detailed, but it should come with authority when the recording intends it to. I seem to be somewhat treble sensitive, though that's not to say I want recessed highs, but not boosted either. I use modded HD 555 at home (rarely get to sit by the computer anymore, want to put emphasis on portable solution) out of a Xonar Essence and while they can improve in just about every area (very nice at price range though), I like their balance. Great bass, stays where it should but also lets you know that it's there, they're an easy listen but could use better mids.

I live in Sweden and custom earmolds aren't an option, I'm looking for the best universals money can buy. Been looking alot at Westone 4 and Shure SE535 but I've never had the chance to listen to either brand before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
I hope you don't mind me borrowing the thread. I too am looking for new IEMs, coming from a pair of HiFiMAN RE-ZEROs. My main gripes with them are that they're quite aggressive, overly bright, small sound stage and underwhelming low end.

I love bass but I want it where it's supposed to be. I want it to be accurate and detailed, but it should come with authority when the recording intends it to. I seem to be somewhat treble sensitive, though that's not to say I want recessed highs, but not boosted either. I use modded HD 555 at home (rarely get to sit by the computer anymore, want to put emphasis on portable solution) out of a Xonar Essence and while they can improve in just about every area (very nice at price range though), I like their balance. Great bass, stays where it should but also lets you know that it's there, they're an easy listen but could use better mids.

I live in Sweden and custom earmolds aren't an option, I'm looking for the best universals money can buy. Been looking alot at Westone 4 and Shure SE535 but I've never had the chance to listen to either brand before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You should probably give that Westone a try first.  If you don't like it, SE535, and if you don't like that one either, MTPC.
(I'm sold on the Westone 4 myself.)  =x

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #22 of 22
J3 with SM3's are a great combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back