What Headphones have the best sub-bass?
Aug 10, 2009 at 2:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Alexander01

Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones to listen for music (mainly Trance) on my Asus Xonar STX.

I am looking for a headphone that have alot of boosted low-end quality bass (like if am sitting between some very expensive subwoofers). I do NOT like thick mid-bass and upper-bass. It gives me headache. They must be tight while the real lower end must be boosted!. I also like very detailed and smooth mid tones so my ears don't hurt when i turn up the volume. I also like the treble is being boosted on the highest spectrum (16-20khz). The soundstage must be wide, very wide.

What is the ideal headphone for me?

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #3 of 16
From a soundcard? Nothing I've ever heard will come near what you're after. And I doubt it exists. You're going to have to invest in a dedicated amp at a mimimum in addition to the headphones.

Aug 10, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 16
Max 1500 dollar.

Soundcard is Asus Xonar STX which have the following specs:

DAC: Burr Brown PCM 1792A
Opamps: LM4562 and JRC 2114D’s stock build opamps
Integrated Headphone-amp: Texas Instruments TPA6120A2.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 16
With your budget, and without one drop of hesitation, I'm going to say JH13s. They are custom made iems, with the best bass response of almost any headphone I've heard, yet doesn't overwhelm the rest of the spectrum. I consider them as good or better than 98% of full-size headphones I've heard. Because they're custom, they are also more comfortable than all headphones I've tried (full-sized, portable, iem) I've heard/owned a lot of headphones. There are only four other headphones I consider better in terms of sound quality, and those other headphones all run into thousands, not including the other components needed to make them shine. Including an audiologist appt. (necessary for ear molds), you'll be well under budget. Check out the JH13 thread in the portable headphone section.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 16
Pro 900 have by far the best low bass I ever heard in any headphone. It doesn´t have as much mid bass as the HD 650 or GMPs so may fit the bill? Don´t know if the treble is boosted but it´s very full anyway. I only listened to trance on the 750 and I did enjoy it surely.

Another headphone with good low bass but little mid bass is the K701. That does have a boosted treble as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexander01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Max 1500 dollar.

Soundcard is Asus Xonar STX which have the following specs:

DAC: Burr Brown PCM 1792A
Opamps: LM4562 and JRC 2114D’s stock build opamps
Integrated Headphone-amp: Texas Instruments TPA6120A2.

The output power of the Asus is something like 140mW. Bass requires a great deal of power for long cone movements and 140mW will probably clip or crap out if you try for loud and low on headphones capable of that. I'd look at a solid state amp of at least 500mW, but more would be helpful. Swapping opamps, etc., won't help. One might have a different sound from another and the DAC chip might be the best ever, but you need power. You wouldn't put a lawnmower engine in a Ferrari, would you?

I can't speak to IEMs - the rules are different. IEM drivers are much smaller and much more efficient.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #8 of 16
The only bass of that depth I've ever heard was from the R10. Nothing else has come close... just lots of boosted midbass to try and tickle and trick my ears.

Aug 10, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #11 of 16
PRO 900, and the latest Darth Beyer deep-cup VXD4 (which can only be found on the Headphile "deals" page, and cannot be ordered like normal V4 Darth Terminators, which happen to ALSO be pretty good bass, but not like the VXD4 deeps).

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #12 of 16
Hello Alexander, I have thrown money here and there and I always come back to the Future Sonics (Atrios) for the deep pounding clean bass you can hear and feel.

Quote:
I'm looking for headphones to listen for music (mainly Trance) on my Asus Xonar STX.

I am looking for a headphone that have alot of boosted low-end quality bass (like if am sitting between some very expensive subwoofers). I do NOT like thick mid-bass and upper-bass. It gives me headache. They must be tight while the real lower end must be boosted!. I also like very detailed and smooth mid tones so my ears don't hurt when i turn up the volume. I also like the treble is being boosted on the highest spectrum (16-20khz). The soundstage must be wide, very wide.

What is the ideal headphone for me?

Thanks.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
wow, 2 year old thread bumped! He may have changed his preference now

LOL, and the OP has not responded since 8.10.09.

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 16
JH13 aint going to give you sub bass. I heard them and yes there is bass but no sub bass. You will hear bass but that kind of driver aint going to make you feel it. My kind of bass is the kind that will mess your hair and you will feel it inside your chest.

Quote:
With your budget, and without one drop of hesitation, I'm going to say JH13s. They are custom made iems, with the best bass response of almost any headphone I've heard, yet doesn't overwhelm the rest of the spectrum. I consider them as good or better than 98% of full-size headphones I've heard. Because they're custom, they are also more comfortable than all headphones I've tried (full-sized, portable, iem) I've heard/owned a lot of headphones. There are only four other headphones I consider better in terms of sound quality, and those other headphones all run into thousands, not including the other components needed to make them shine. Including an audiologist appt. (necessary for ear molds), you'll be well under budget. Check out the JH13 thread in the portable headphone section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back