What headphones are more accurate than the HD650s, but still lots of fun?
Aug 13, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #46 of 57
Yeah it still is hype if you spend hundreds of dollars on them. That slight difference is not worth that money. For the price I paid ($20), it was worth the slight upgrade. I would feel wayy too guilty if I had spent like a couple of hundred dollars on them.

I think the animosity toward cables is caused by the cable companies that rob you in daylight. They rip you off big time, and that's a fact. Their profit percentages are ridiculously high. If they sell you a $200 cable, it probably cost them $10 to make it. That's just terrible.

Cables are great when they cost what they are supposed to cost. I'm willing to do a test with a mogamy cable and monoprice cable using a volt meter. I bet the monoprice cables are better than those $200 cables.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #48 of 57
Might chime in:

My 650s always sound stark and bright on most mid-range solid state amps. Slap it in a valved amp, and depending on the tubes you can get a very neutral sound or bring out the darkness and mid/bass happiness of them too. That's why I like them, quite versatile.

Aug 13, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #49 of 57
Absolutely!

Any cable will provide only subtle changes in the sound of your phones - the source, amp, opamps, tubes, current, voltage, etc. and how well their characteristics and electrical properties match the specific phones (impedance, efficiency, etc.), make far greater changes in the sound of your phones. 

Though - in general... silver cables will make the most noticeable difference - typically brighter, clearer, more detailed... and... possibly somewhat colder and more harsh.

And... yes... many cables are way, way too expensive, relative to the extent of the change in sound they may create - it is in no way proportionate... and... may only be justified for those who are very discerning of the subtle changes in the sound, who also are less sensitive to the high cost of such cables.  

As far as the cost... the cost of silver and copper has dramatically increased over the past 2 years (e.g. as much as 500%+) - so, yes the materials cost of these cables is now much higher - though, the labor cost and margin is still the greater component of the price of most cables.

And... you know what... the same can be said for "high-end phones," DAC's, CDP's, Amps, etc.... 

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #50 of 57

Quote:
Absolutely!

Any cable will provide only subtle changes in the sound of your phones - the source, amp, opamps, tubes, current, voltage, etc. and how well their characteristics and electrical properties match the specific phones (impedance, efficiency, etc.), make far greater changes in the sound of your phones. 

Though - in general... silver cables will make the most noticeable difference - typically brighter, clearer, more detailed... and... possibly somewhat colder and more harsh.

And... yes... many cables are way, way too expensive, relative to the extent of the change in sound they may create - it is in no way proportionate... and... may only be justified for those who are very discerning of the subtle changes in the sound, who also are less sensitive to the high cost of such cables.  

As far as the cost... the cost of silver and copper has dramatically increased over the past 2 years (e.g. as much as 500%+) - so, yes the materials cost of these cables is now much higher - though, the labor cost and margin is still the greater component of the price of most cables.

And... you know what... the same can be said for "high-end phones," DAC's, CDP's, Amps, etc.... 

i agree.  

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:05 PM Post #51 of 57
     Quote:
Absolutely!

I agree as well. About your last sentence......I feel much better investing money in something that has actual substance. Headphones, amps, and dacs have substance because they are actually made by real engineers and their parts actually cost quite a bit. It takes real skill and hard work to put together Hi-fi equipment. More importantly, headphones, amps, and dacs effect the sound quite drastically, making them very valuable. 

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #52 of 57
     Quote:
have u tried them?

Nope. Also, I haven't tried meth, mdma, acid, shrooms, or heroine. How would I know they are bad if I've never tried them? I think you can answer your own question.

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #54 of 57
I was just trying to be funny. 
biggrin.gif
 Lol. Take it easy. Don't be so sensitive. At least I've got the minerals to go back on what I say. I was trying to meet you guys in the middle by admitting that recabling isn't totally crap. Lol. Maybe I will go to a meet one of these days and try out these expensive cables once and for all and put this topic to rest. Any meets in the Houston area anytime soon?

Edit: Oh and btw, I'm getting Amperex Orange Globes!!! Super excited. Hopefully the difference will be clear.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #55 of 57

Quote:
     Quote:

Nope. Also, I haven't tried meth, mdma, acid, shrooms, or heroine. How would I know they are bad if I've never tried them? I think you can answer your own question.

Quote:
I was just trying to be funny. 
biggrin.gif
 Lol. Take it easy. Don't be so sensitive. At least I've got the minerals to go back on what I say. I was trying to meet you guys in the middle by admitting that recabling isn't totally crap. Lol. Maybe I will go to a meet one of these days and try out these expensive cables once and for all and put this topic to rest. Any meets in the Houston area anytime soon?

Edit: Oh and btw, I'm getting Amperex Orange Globes!!! Super excited. Hopefully the difference will be clear.

im pretty laid back but im still trying to find the funny in your previous statement.  in any case, listen and enjoy with an open mind b4 dismissing things.  you might be surprised at what you hear. 

Aug 14, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #56 of 57
     Quote:

im pretty laid back but im still trying to find the funny in your previous statement.  in any case, listen and enjoy with an open mind b4 dismissing things.  you might be surprised at what you hear. 

Alright, you win. I shall be open minded.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #57 of 57

Quote:
     Quote:

Your grouping of "illicit" substances is an example of the mentality in this country that has led to a failed drug policy to the detriment of our citizens. (I.e. some of these don't belong with the others)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back