Feb 28, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #256 of 565

Quote:
 ​

​

​
 ​
 ​
...​

Ah, the images of classic beauty.  Totally comparable right?
biggrin.gif

That's my pic and my RS-1is :D

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #257 of 565
Grado is overpriced everywhere but in the USA. They ship their high end headphones in pizza boxes. Their headphones have actually gotten worse over time (people will pay more for vintage RS1 than they will new RS1). Their focus is rather narrow. Their headphones are uncomfortable.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #258 of 565

Better than Porsche, they don't even give you a box. And I have as much use for a box for a car as I do for one for headphones. 

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #259 of 565

Quote:
A fair amount of that died down when Grado threw 'em a bone: the HF2.  Ironically, the HF2 is so truly a "baby PS1000" that if you swapped the cushions and vented the drivers, you'd have a tough time telling these headphones apart.  Anybody with a modicum of brains could have modded the HF2 and gotten a PS1000 - but almost nobody did.  Guess why?  Because they wanted to hold onto them and resell them as collectors' items.  Why bridge the gap between your $500 HF2 and the $1,700 PS1000 when you can leave it in the box, wait a few months, and make a couple of hundred dollars?

I've got no firsthand experience with the PS1000s, but I do have an HF2 and a half-modicum of brains. (Well, plus or minus a half-modicum, anyway.)

So I'm interested in this claim --  what modding would a HF2 need to be more PS1000-like?

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #261 of 565

Quote:
OK, stop the Porsche stuff, it has zero relevance. I like the Grado sound, I've owned the SR-80, 325i and the GS-1000, I still own the HF-1, HF- 2, and the RS-1. I also own the D7000 and the K1000. The RS-1 is my "go to" phone.  Some Head-fiers don't like the Grado sound, some think it's OK and others believe it's the best. Go figure.....it's no different than Sennhieser, Beyer, AKG, Ultrasone,,,etc. Grado hasn't blown their reputation, They are what they are, there's just a few nay-sayers who need to say something about Grado because they aren't what they expected. Get over it, sell them and buy something else.

Perhaps you don't realize that Grado was a different company when Joe ran the place.  He was the one that had the ear and voiced all the headphones.  In those days, Grado was truly ahead of his time for inovation and for value.  The HP-1, HP-2, SR-200, SR-100, SR-80 were all his creations and voicings.  Grado is a different company now with regard to the voicing of their cans, choice of drivers, etc.  Everything is different except what John kept from the look of the original Grados.

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #262 of 565

Quote:
Actually Porsche is now owned by VW first off. Secondly Porsche never remained stale it made huge changes throughout the years, most notably in the transmission department. There's plenty more I could go on about, but a comparison of Porsche and Grado is a terrible comparison.

True enough, Porsche never stood still and stopped innovating.  

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #263 of 565

Quote:
Perhaps you don't realize that Grado was a different company when Joe ran the place.  He was the one that had the ear and voiced all the headphones.  In those days, Grado was truly ahead of his time for inovation and for value.  The HP-1, HP-2, SR-200, SR-100, SR-80 were all his creations and voicings.  Grado is a different company now with regard to the voicing of their cans, choice of drivers, etc.  Everything is different except what John kept from the look of the original Grados.

Well maybe the problem is that Joe took the Grado style drivers to the peak of performance pushing the limit of the design. And any attempt to change upon that, which any successful company does, just came up short because Joe reached a level of perfection that that pushed the physical limits of the drivers. You also have to consider that maybe the chemicals used in the previous coatings are no longer available or could have possibly been banned from production in the U.S. Just some thoughts.

Feb 28, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #264 of 565
As long as "we're" posting silly stuff, what is the current Porche equivalent of the SR-60i and what Porche is over 20X (PS1000) that price?  

People, you are not making sense.

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #265 of 565

Quote:

As I mentioned previously, when the bowl pads were introduced, the whole game changed. The bass and treble that were seamlessly matched to the wonderful midrange were now stuck out in the open. The drivers did change (from what existed in the original HP-1000, SR200's) but with the flat pads, there was still much of that classic midrange-based Joe Grado sound. The bowls threw it all away in exchange for "clarity and soundstage". And the flats are still available. A flat padded SR225 will not sound as good as an SR200, but the family resemblance is there. Ironically, John's Reference series of phono cartridges still have the warm, cozy midrange sound of the old Joe Grado MCX/MCZ Signatures.

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #266 of 565

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilavideo 

A fair amount of that died down when Grado threw 'em a bone: the HF2.  Ironically, the HF2 is so truly a "baby PS1000" that if you swapped the cushions and vented the drivers, you'd have a tough time telling these headphones apart.  Anybody with a modicum of brains could have modded the HF2 and gotten a PS1000 - but almost nobody did.  Guess why?  Because they wanted to hold onto them and resell them as collectors' items.  Why bridge the gap between your $500 HF2 and the $1,700 PS1000 when you can leave it in the box, wait a few months, and make a couple of hundred dollars?

Quote:

I've got no firsthand experience with the PS1000s, but I do have an HF2 and a half-modicum of brains. (Well, plus or minus a half-modicum, anyway.)

So I'm interested in this claim --  what modding would a HF2 need to be more PS1000-like?

there

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #267 of 565
Feb 28, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #269 of 565
Feb 28, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #270 of 565

Quote:
unless they ride tandem, I am confident I could beat them in a race, I think he could shave off minutes of his track time if he riced it out with carbon fiber and faux carbon fiber accessories

Cmon BW - can we take the motor vehicle discussion to another forum, please ? Better yet, to a drag strip, where 9 second 'street' cars would shut you all down. The quarter mile got a lot sillier the day TCP/IP was invented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back