What do you think the new Sennheiser flagship will be?
Feb 27, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #46 of 88
Quote:
"What's what" is you are the only person I have ever heard say that the HD580 sound better than the Orpheus. I didn't say I have heard them, but I'm sure you are wrong. Everyone that has reported auditioning them put them up there with the best of them (SR-009/HD800/HE-6 etc). Your hostility is comedy, and its bold to say what you did. No one will argue with you that pricier equipment might sometimes are outperformed but less expensive things, but your statement is borderline absurdity. But, to each their own, and it's your opinion, but just so you know trust your word is falsifying many others raving reviews.

People like then because they're beautiful, and people are very suggestible. And I'd bet most people raving about them haven't actually, you know, heard them.

I presume from your blather that you haven't actually done the comparison. Or, perhaps, all of those other "best of them" you listed are anemic messes. (The AKG K1000 is another one that I heard at about the same time that was totally unimpressive to me.) I don't know, because I haven't heard those models. 

No question that the Orpheus is an extremely well-crafted piece, and the amp is stunning to look at. Remember that while they're fetishized now, at the time Senn couldn't sell them to save their lives. I was offered the set I listened to for 6000 EUR, if memory serves, which was IIRC more than 50% off list. And the shop mentioned their one set had been there for a couple years. (This was in 2002.)

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #47 of 88
Topic guys! 

Regardless, no matter how good a pair of headphones is, if they have a frequency response that doesn't match well with the music you like then they aren't going to sound good.

Now I reckon if Sennheiser beat Audeze to making an excellent pair of closed orthos at a reasonable price, that would be very interesting indeed. I don't believe that is likely though as the HD-800s are their present flagship.

Oct 30, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #48 of 88
I would love to see an open, light weight(under 200 g), ergonomically perfect planar with a super fast transient, visceral textured extended bass, effortless transparent clear mids and a refinement in the treble only found in electrostats with soundstage capabilities and imaging never before seen in a stock headphone to date, perhaps with the aid of advanced tailor made DSP.
Yeah that sh@t aint gonna happen.

Dec 11, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #50 of 88
Let's hope the new flagship is not hard to drive.

Jan 16, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #52 of 88
I think thats all we got for now: Roumors :D.

Id like them to review their HD600/HD650 line a bit, and perhaps the HD800.

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #54 of 88
For what it's worth here are the collected Nomax hints. (I presume he will correct me if I'm mistaken...)
-Mentioned that it's about a new Sennheisser flagship
-More than 1500€
-Mentioned "after 20 years" (Orpheus was made 1991 and 2006)
-Should come out second half 2014
-Not over ear, not around ear
-5-75000 HZ
-Dual balanced 3ft cable

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #56 of 88
I have heard that it will come soon and it will be electrostatic. It seems that Sennheiser studied the market and they said that they will beat the competition by a good margin. (better than orpheus)

It may be pretty steep price wise, ~5k (don't know it that includes an amp or not).

You imagine that none of what I heard is for sure, but what is for sure is that they will have a flagship soon and they have the experience to blow the market.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #57 of 88
The hype train may just fly of the tracks and over the moon when the cover finally lifts.

Definitely looking forward to it.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #58 of 88
So wait, there is solid rumours of a potential new Sennheiser flagship that will be electrostatic and maybe even beat orpheus? Sounds a little too good to be true! 

Mar 20, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #59 of 88
  So wait, there is solid rumours of a potential new Sennheiser flagship that will be electrostatic and maybe even beat orpheus? Sounds a little too good to be true! 

Sounds like logical progress to me. It was due to happen some time, considering they have what it takes to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back