What do you think the new Sennheiser flagship will be?
Feb 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

goobicii

100+ Head-Fier
I checked the times of release of these headphones..... HD 580,HD600,HD 650          on average new come every 5 years

now we all know that the soundstage of HD 800 is best in the world ( I didnt tried stax sr-009)

but we also know that it have not nice treble peak and the bass roll off starts too high in specrum and its level could use some gain,also theres this widespread mod that puts t shirt or some other [Mod Edit: Please do not try and bypass the swearing filter.] into them to dampen the reflections to improve sound

I bet the Sennheiser dudes knows this and they already are trying to solve these problems...         I think improved HD 800,the HD 850 could hit us as soon as 2014

what do you think,when will new Senn flagship come out? will it be improved HD 800 ala HD 600/650 or will it be compeltly brand new piece,HD 900?    what year do you think? fall 2013 or more like 2016? discuss

personaly I can really see this happening within two years,considering the HD 800 came out 2009,if they solved these problems while keeping or even improving the good things about them,it would be in my book hands down the best headphone ever

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 88
Honestly, it is hard to improve upon the HD 800. I don't agree with your point of bass roll-off either, their bass is fine.. well textured, and punchy. I don't see the HD 800 being dethroned any time soon. They sell very well for Sennheiser, and they are among the most popular headphones in the Summit-Fi region. I also would questions whether or not you heard them on a proper headphone/dac combo. The HD 800 scales extremely well, and if you listen to them on a summit-fi amp than your opinion might change. Mine did.

Feb 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #3 of 88
Since their HD800 is around $1.6k MSRP, whatever they come out with next should be well over $2k... Nty, I'll rather buy Stax if I'm going to pay that much, unless they come out with Estats or Planars... Dynamic for $2k+? Count me out. Happy with my HE-500

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 88
Greed....  whats summit amp? I tried them only with Violectric V200

btw right now I have Xonar STX....    after I buy HD 800 before I get proper amp... whats your opinion on it in role of DAC,survival amp? I know its gonna be shiit but is it too bad?

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 88
Quote:
Greed....  whats summit amp? I tried them only with Violectric V200

btw right now I have Xonar STX....    after I buy HD 800 before I get proper amp... whats your opinion on it in role of DAC,survival amp? I know its gonna be shiit but is it too bad?

Well I haven't heard them on the LF or LG, but there are many that say that is the best they have ever heard the HD 800's. I have personally heard them on a WA5, WA22, ZDSE.. and they all were amazing and a huge improvement over my Burson.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #7 of 88
Quote:
I checked the times of release of these headphones..... HD 580,HD600,HD 650          on average new come every 5 years

now we all know that the soundstage of HD 800 is best in the world ( I didnt tried stax sr-009)

but we also know that it have not nice treble peak and the bass roll off starts too high in specrum and its level could use some gain,also theres this widespread mod that puts t shirt or some other shiit into them to dampen the reflections to improve sound

I bet the Sennheiser dudes knows this and they already are trying to solve these problems...         I think improved HD 800,the HD 850 could hit us as soon as 2014

what do you think,when will new Senn flagship come out? will it be improved HD 800 ala HD 600/650 or will it be compeltly brand new piece,HD 900?    what year do you think? fall 2013 or more like 2016? discuss

personaly I can really see this happening within two years,considering the HD 800 came out 2009,if they solved these problems while keeping or even improving the good things about them,it would be in my book hands down the best headphone ever

Post of the year.

Quote:
 I don't see the HD 800 being dethroned any time soon.

It was dethroned before it came out..

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 88
I thought Sennheiser was busy working on electrostatic headphones.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #11 of 88
Quote:
care to describe how was it better? 160 is somewhat simmiliar to V200 so this can be very helpfull to me.....   

The biggest difference for me was how it tamed the some what dry and analytical nature of the HD 800. Those amps really gave the HD 800 something enticing to listen to for long hours. Separation between instruments and the airyness was just incredible. It was a huge difference, and made the Burson sound congested in comparison. I also enjoyed the lower extended bass and how the tubes took that edge off the treble. The overall presentation was much better for me, but then again you pay a hefty price for the difference. But that seems to be the way on Head-Fi, you pay premiums for subtle differences, but damn it is sweet.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #13 of 88
beyersmile.png

The HD 800 goes down to 16Hz, so the bass definitely does *not* roll off early - it's just that they do not have an artificially boosted bass.

I find the top end fine - but they are very revealing of the source and some people blame the headhphones for revealing something that is coming from elsewhere.

Regarding HD 850 or HD 900 - I hope they are working on closed headphones with a ring driver to bring the quality of the HD 800 into closed headphones before they bring out the 850/900.

I do think that Sennheiser will continue developing dynamic headphones as the payback on electrostatics is small compared to dynamics - the development costs are recovered with a larger number of sales of dynamic headphones compared to the small number of electrostatics.

I heard that Sennheiser actually lost money on the £10,000 Orpheus headphones as they were expensive to manufacture - but they did them just to make the "World's best headphones".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back