What do you think the new Sennheiser flagship will be?
Feb 23, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #16 of 88
Quote:
The biggest difference for me was how it tamed the some what dry and analytical nature of the HD 800. Those amps really gave the HD 800 something enticing to listen to for long hours. Separation between instruments and the airyness was just incredible. It was a huge difference, and made the Burson sound congested in comparison. I also enjoyed the lower extended bass and how the tubes took that edge off the treble. The overall presentation was much better for me, but then again you pay a hefty price for the difference. But that seems to be the way on Head-Fi, you pay premiums for subtle differences, but damn it is sweet.

that makes it supperior as Audiophile amp.... but I am searching for production amp.... all this tube smoothing out and whatever ofcourse it sounds better,but question is witch one produce sound that is closer to the waveform that its supposed to replicate

it would suck making tune that sounds good on such amp but then realizing the transiensts are little too sharp elsewhere

Feb 23, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #17 of 88
Quote:
beyersmile.png

The HD 800 goes down to 16Hz, so the bass definitely does *not* roll off early - it's just that they do not have an artificially boosted bass.

I find the top end fine - but they are very revealing of the source and some people blame the headhphones for revealing something that is coming from elsewhere.

Regarding HD 850 or HD 900 - I hope they are working on closed headphones with a ring driver to bring the quality of the HD 800 into closed headphones before they bring out the 850/900.

I do think that Sennheiser will continue developing dynamic headphones as the payback on electrostatics is small compared to dynamics - the development costs are recovered with a larger number of sales of dynamic headphones compared to the small number of electrostatics.

I heard that Sennheiser actually lost money on the £10,000 Orpheus headphones as they were expensive to manufacture - but they did them just to make the "World's best headphones".

measurments doesnt agree with you.....     HD 800 do roll of bass starting at 80HZ about 4db to 20hz

Feb 24, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #19 of 88
Quote:

measurments doesnt agree with you.....     HD 800 do roll of bass starting at 80HZ about 4db to 20hz

4dB is hardly a "roll off" 

If you want to see a real bass "roll off" have a look at at any Grado headphone. 
size]

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #20 of 88
Quote:
4dB is hardly a "roll off" 

If you want to see a real bass "roll off" have a look at at any Grado headphone. 
size]

but at those freqencies the percieved loudness rolls off at insane values under 100hz and that -4db high pass filter on HD 800 definately doesnt help

"hardly a roll off" its hard roll off enough that people sacrifice soundstage and clarity for flat bass in LCD2-3        also the price is where I live 700e for HD 800,1100 for LCD 2 and 2000 for LCD 3

that lack of bass makes people either get audeze or get warm and sexy tube amp,my point is that weak low end is significant

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #21 of 88
Quote:
but at those freqencies the percieved loudness rolls off at insane values under 100hz and that -4db high pass filter on HD 800 definately doesnt help

"hardly a roll off" its hard roll off enough that people sacrifice soundstage and clarity for flat bass in LCD2-3

Have you heard the HD800s?

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #23 of 88
Quote:
yes,I was doing quick A/Bing with Violectric V200 and Audeze LCD-2

Compared to the LCD-2s, I can see that. But taken on its own, I find that the HD800s offer a very different take on neutrality and don't lack any bass IMO.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #24 of 88
Quote:
Compared to the LCD-2s, I can see that. But taken on its own, I find that the HD800s offer a very different take on neutrality and don't lack any bass IMO.

thats becose it dont pass your personal treshold of calling it lacking in bass....    but the machines dont have any tresholds for opinions,moods or placebo,they clearly show that the bass is not ideal in way that it have lower spl than it should

I still prefer the HD 800,but you must have noticed good amount of people trying to warm it up,and for a good reason.......   I expect next senn flagship to definately improve in bass response

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #25 of 88
Quote:

(groan)

no srsly... are Senn dude going to make electrostatic headphones somewhere within 5 years horizon? did I missed something??    I am asking becose I am really curious if this is some joke bs or actualy confirmed....         it would make sense to me,electrostatic is in my noob opinion superb way to make sound from headphones,afterall people say SR009 is best when it comes to resolution,I never heard it.... but on paper it looks convincing

if they added that stereofield to it, really nice dream to think off

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 88
Quote:
thats becose it dont pass your personal treshold of calling it lacking in bass....    but the machines dont have any tresholds for opinions,moods or placebo,they clearly show that the bass is not ideal in way that it have lower spl than it should

I still prefer the HD 800,but you must have noticed good amount of people trying to warm it up,and for a good reason.......   I expect next senn flagship to definately improve in bass response

Only thing is, I seriously doubt there will be a new flagship this year. Sorry.

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:51 PM Post #27 of 88
I've had a similar horrible experience with the HD800, It's a fatiguing headphone with a peak in the area where your ears perceived loudness is already pretty high. That with its rolled off bass (where you need at least flat (especially taking into account perceived loudness) easily turns of EDM into a horrible ear burning experience.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #28 of 88
Quote:
no srsly... are Senn dude going to make electrostatic headphones somewhere within 5 years horizon? did I missed something??  

As far as I can see the person who started this rumour is you with the title of this thread. Everyone's tuning in to find out about it and it hasn't happened and probably won't. If you change the title of the thread we can all go back to what we were doing before (and forget about what Senn dudes are doing). 

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 88
Quote:

As far as I can see the person who started this rumour is you with the title of this thread. Everyone's tuning in to find out about it and it hasn't happened and probably won't. If you change the title of the thread we can all go back to what we were doing before (and forget about what Senn dudes are doing). 

I have to agree, speculation is just that speculation. Until there is official word, no need to bring up this topic.

Feb 25, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #30 of 88
Quote:
...but question is witch one produce sound that is closer to the waveform that its supposed to replicate

I use the Grace m903 for this, but the DACS Clarity HeadMaster is also good.

Quote:

Who measured it, and how?  Sennheiser measured the -3dB point at 16Hz and to claim that it has to be clear and repeatable.  I would actually question your measurement techniques.

Quote:
I've had a similar horrible experience with the HD800, It's a fatiguing headphone with a peak in the area where your ears perceived loudness is already pretty high. That with its rolled off bass (where you need at least flat (especially taking into account perceived loudness) easily turns of EDM into a horrible ear burning experience.

The HD 800 is definitely *not* fatiguing - when I first got them I was listening for 6 hours non-stop and thought I had only been listening for 2.  It more likely to be your source or amp than the headphones.

And I have had mine for 4 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back