What beats Sony MDR-1R?
Nov 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #17 of 145
As a follow up to my questions based on what I have personally owned or have listened to:

If you do not have a dedicated headphone amp and are using primarily portable sound sources or generic sound cards from a PC I would go these directions:

If you want a comfy around ear headpone that is portable but bassy in nature you could go Denon D1100. If you are not as concerned with portability and comfort and want a less bassy sound with decent mids and nice treble you could go Denon HP700. If you want a well rounded signature that has OK sub-bass, strong mids, and good but easy to listen treble in a portable super comfy over the ear format with OK isolation then I would say go MDR-1R.

If you have a dedicated headphone amp and have set up a listening station of some description then you can look at the cans that require an amp to sound correct (usually AKG, Beyerdynamic, and some Ultrasone headphones) not ALL of those brands headphones will be in this category though (AKG K550 for example was designed to be played from portable sources).

Speaking of AKG K550 from what I have read it may not have enough sub-bass for your genres and is not very portable if that is a requirement. I would say the Shure SRH940 would also fall into the category of too bass light. The Shure SRH-840 might work for you but it is supposed to not sound it's best unless amped and it's quite a bit less portable than the MDR-1R if that again is a requirement for you.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #18 of 145
Quote:
Ok let's start at the top.
You mentioned musical tastes of electronic and dub step? Is that all you listen to or is it just your primary music genres. If other genres are listened to do you care if you hear them as enjoyably as dub step and electronic, or do you just want these to be nice and bassy?
Are you going to use these from a stationary listening station with headphone amp and DAC or mainly from portable devices like an iPhone or other MP3 player?
Do you need these to be isolating (for you) or non-bleeding (for everyone around you).
Do you care if the headphone sits on your ears or around your ears? This followed by do you want super comfy or is it OK if they are just comfy so long as they sound good and meet your other requirements?

I mainly do listen to chill electronic and dubstep. Anything else I listen to may consist of pop, rap, r&b, and soft rock. I would like for them to be have the potential to be nice and bassy, but not an overpowering bass sound such as Beats by Dre.

I would like these to be more portable, but every so ofter I would like to chill at my house with a headphone amp and such. Not to mention I plan on getting in to electronic music production.

I'd want these to be as "non-bleeding" as possible, but it's not really an issue.

I definitely want these to be around my ears and be comfy enough. For example, at the moment, I have the Audio Technica ATH-M50; I would want these to be as comfy or comfier than the M50's.

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #19 of 145
ok then I say MDR-1R then. They come with an iphone cable and a standard stereo cable so are good for portable use as well as with your amp. They also happen to used industry standard cables so cables like the ones vmoda makes also can be used as an example. They go down to decent sub-bass and the bass gets better with a headphone amp (or at least my HP amp seems to make the bass better). They also have excellent mids and good but non-fatiguing treble. They look good and they are simply one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever used.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 145
Nov 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #21 of 145
Quote:
ok then I say MDR-1R then. They come with an iphone cable and a standard stereo cable so are good for portable use as well as with your amp. They also happen to used industry standard cables so cables like the ones vmoda makes also can be used as an example. They go down to decent sub-bass and the bass gets better with a headphone amp (or at least my HP amp seems to make the bass better). They also have excellent mids and good but non-fatiguing treble. They look good and they are simply one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever used.

If you have listened to the M50's can you compare the bass between them and the MDR-1R's?

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 145
I haven't heard a pair of M50's in so long I can't make a comparison, sorry.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #25 of 145

Quote:
i would take the srh940 over the sonys any day. they beat them in every aspect accept portablility

The MDR-1R frequency response is more flat. I would also consider the highs and mids to be better, but I'm not sure about the bass quality and quantity.

Can anyone do a comparison between the two, because they both seem like good headphones for what I'm looking for.

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #27 of 145
i would take the srh940 over the sonys any day. they beat them in every aspect accept portablility

Howdy sofastreamer;
I didn't realize you gave the MDR-1R a try and sorry to hear your not a fan. I guess people won't always like the things, that's OK though.

In the case of this OP, I think the 940 may not have enough sub-bass for his genre's in fact I am not sure the MDR-1R will either which is why I suggested he read about the One Meyer headphone which apparently is designed for those genres.

In regards to the 940 and 1R though, I think the 1R has more sub-bass, the mids are different in that the 1R is warmer sounding and the 940 is colder sounding, treble is where the 940 is significantly different in that the 940 is much more forward and present in this area. I do miss this added presence and it is the 940's biggest asset (so long as you want this much detail and aggressiveness in the treble region). For the OP though I suspect his genre's will not utilize this treble and he may even find it to bright. I also think the 1R is not only better portability wise but also comfort and possibly durability wise (just got my 940 back after being a victim of the headband cracking issue) the durability thing will remain to be seen though. Overall I think the 940 is technically better in regards to details in the music but the 1R is a bit easier to listen to for casual listening.

I am lucky though in that I have BOTH so can use my 940 (or more often in my case my 1440) when I want that added detail. I may sell my 940 though and just use the 1440 since the 1440 gives me detail plus the added sound stage afforded an open headphone and I need to keep my collection down to a minimum.

But I really do understand that the 940 is a better option for many people depending on their requirements an likes.

Nov 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #28 of 145
than there must be some problems in manufacturing the 940s, because mine throw gobs of sub bass and are much smoother in the highs then the sonys. also soundstage is by far superior on the shures.

to me the r1 sounded like typical sony overdone metallic treble throwers. with a very congested soundstage and porr thin mids. bass was flabby and not even worth half the money that they ´d cost. but maybe mine were defective out of the box.

you should not sell your 940s. think of how many headphones you have tried and these match your liking so well, that you will miss them sooner or later. it is always good to have a closed option.

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #29 of 145
Wow I wonder if your 1R's were defective too? Because of our mutual enjoyment of the 940 I think I have a somewhat good handle on what you like sound wise and my 1R does not sound like what your describing at all. My 1R has tight bass, slightly warm forward sounding mids (think 940 but warmer sounding), and treble that is more gentle than the 940. The sound stage is also very clear and has excellent spacial accuracy.

I did notice that some of my enjoyment of the 1R improved over a couple of days as the treble sorted itself out and the bass settled in. The sound stage also improved in a similar fashion. But in direct A/B testing the other night I thought the 1R while note quite as detailed did hold itself very well against the 940 aside from the differences mentioned.

Anyway I still think they are both kick butt headphones LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back