What are your secret headphones?
Sep 12, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #46 of 80
I had the hd202's as well (found them for 15$ black friday), I still use them for watching movies. Then I discovered head-fi , and my wallet started suffering. I've since upgraded to some m50's (love them!), and some koss ksc75  with a cmoy for work. The next items I plan on getting are the e7/e9 combo, and maybe some ultrasones or akgs. But those hd202's were my gateway drug : )

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #47 of 80
Haha, mine weren't exactly cheap but they are the tripfi10s. I got them about 4 years ago before I really got into headfi and IMO, the jump they provided over earbuds is still bigger than any jump I've experienced yet, even with a woo audio 5 and LCD 2

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #48 of 80
I can´t recall what name or brand of the first headphones I bought. Would be fun to listen to them again but I don´t remember if I have thrown them away or if I still have them somewhere :)

Apr 10, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #49 of 80
My good old Sennheizer EH150 are my secret cans. I considered them to be amazing years ago but I didn't know any better. Anyway they still sound much better than budget Panasonics or most full sized cheaply made cans out there. I got a very good Phillips ) or what I thought were good at the moment before I got the Senns and they were quite comfy full-size cans with a spring mecanism for the cups and angled drivers. the model was very close to Philips SHP8500/27 only the cups were silver and they were the most comfortable cans I ever had and sounded ok to my untrained ears

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #50 of 80

I used these for years before getting into higher quality audio. I ended up buying around 3 pairs because I liked them so much. After I made my first "audiophile" purchase of the Sennheiser HD428's, I never went back to these as they sound like crap haha.

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #51 of 80
I had some pairs (not necessarily cheap, more to the high end actually) which I don't talk about or claim to own in Head-Fi. What's the point of an exposed secret? 
tongue.gif
 Rest assured, whenever whatever I comment on in the forums, I have owned them or at least heard them. 

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #52 of 80

Quote:
  Rest assured, whenever whatever I comment on in the forums, I have owned them or at least heard them. 

More people should follow your example

Apr 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #53 of 80
whatever was with my sony walkman at the time. i have no idea where my walkman and the headphones went. guess i lost them moving in the past. if i still had them they would so go into my sig/profile as no.1 all time headphones. they were so boss in my younger and influential days of metal.

Apr 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #54 of 80
Some pair of Kenwoods my big brother bought me for Christmas a decade (or so?) ago!  Since they were big, over-the-ear cans, with fancy, crinkled pleather (lol) over the ear cushions, I thought he had spent a relative fortune to get them.  Even then, without any listening experience at all, I could tell they lacked bass - but they had so much more clarity and mid-range presence than I had ever heard before, I immediately realized that it had to do with the whole headphone format (as opposed to stereo systems) and consequently I always knew that to get the best in certain sonic aspects, I would have to hold on to a good pair of headphones for the rest of my life.  One thing lead to another, and now I'm one of the many big-spending (for me, anyways), anal retentive members of Head-Fi!

I'm not embarrassed to list my Kenwoods in my info - they got me through high school and college and beyond, before I sat on them and broke them, and I'll always remember them as the gateway into this crazy passion/hobby of mine - the problem is that I threw them away without ever knowing/thinking to write down what the model name and number might be.  If I knew what they were called, I would definitely list them among things I've owned/tried.

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #56 of 80
Oh man.

Ok so...before I knew any better, I used to be into Skullcandy. Looking back at it, I thank christ I wasn't into Beats or Bose, because then my wallet would have suffered before I knew better!

But yeah, I used Ink'd, 50/50's, Hesh's, G.I.'s, Skullcrushers...I still have some Skullcrushers here at my apartment (looking to sell them to some poor chap on campus).

The thing that really made me realize I needed to look into getting quality headphones was the fact that I never owned any type of Skullcandy headphones (IEM or Over ear) that didn't break within three months. Seriously, the facking headbands adjusters were so thin and weak that they cracked and snapped every time. After the second or third time I'm like "Headphones aren't supposed to break like this..."

So I eventually bought myself a humble pair of ATH-M30's (really not bad at all) and the ball got rolling from there.

Then only thing I did like from all those Skullcandys is the fact that one time I got a pair of G.I.'s that also came with a bottle-opener that fit inside the band of the headphone. That was pretty cool. I kept the bottle-opener and now it's a part of my lanyard keychain. I even use it at parties sometimes.

Apr 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #57 of 80
Sennheiser HD 202's for me as well.

coming from Apple buds to these, they were some amazing sounding headphones.
used them for about a year until cable issues caused the left earphone to crap out.
sent them in for fixing under the Sennheiser warranty, and they shipped me a new (in box) pair.

i still have them sealed in the box, with the intention of giving them away, but i can't let them go. (what attachment issues?) maybe i should open them up and give them a listen. just to see how good my newer cans sound in comparison.

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #58 of 80
Creative in ear headphones - thought they were amazing at the time! Before i really got into headphones....

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #59 of 80
My first aftermarket earphones: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHE5910-Virtual-Surround-Headphones/dp/B000QS4FMA

41p-XeML7mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back