What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 11, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #59,806 of 136,006
"The Wolf" — Mumford and Sons
"Alive Tonight" — Grace Potter
"Ship to Wreck" — Florence + The Machine

All fantastic new tunes. Mumford will probably lose a lot of fans with their new direction, but I really dig it.

Finally checking out Carrie and Lowell by Sufjan Stevens now. It's fantastic thus far!

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #59,810 of 136,006

It was my first time hearing them. More than worth looking into some other titles from them.

If you're just getting a start with the band, then Sunset Tree, Tallahassee and Heretic Pride will probably give you the best idea of what they've sounded like since moving from a solo project into a full band. Darnielle's earlier tape recordings have some great writing on them as well, especially All Hail West Texas. Sunset Tree probably has the highest regard of their albums, as it deals with autobiographical stories of an abusive stepfather in a very honest, even vengeful manner. It's an album that will genuinely anger you and sadden you. If you like Darnielle's lyrics, you should pick up a copy of his book, "Wolf In White Van", sometime. It's a short read, but a good one in very similar vein to his songs.

So I discovered this band through this thread and after a bit of looking on possibly catching them live, I find out they're based out of right where I'm at. As a matter of fact, the bar they're playing in live next month is the same bar a friend works at! Such a small world
tongue_smile.gif

There's been a group of us constantly praising this album here in the thread over the last few months. It truly is a fantastic album, and hopefully we'll be hearing a lot more from the band in the future. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny to see them live.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #59,811 of 136,006

There's been a group of us constantly praising this album here in the thread over the last few months. It truly is a fantastic album, and hopefully we'll be hearing a lot more from the band in the future. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny to see them live.

I'm almost certain of watching them at the bar my friend works at on the 2nd of May. Also after a bit for researching on the band, I have a few friends who know the female lead singer from school. Damn a small world indeed.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #59,814 of 136,006

Agalloch - The Serpent & the Sphere
https://agalloch.bandcamp.com/album/the-serpent-the-sphere

This album gave me a wonderful time last summer in the midst of the heat.

Akira Yamaoka - Silent Hill 2

Haunting, amazing.

DIR EN GREY - DUM SPIRO SPERO

A metal band well worth checking out.

Apr 12, 2015 at 5:00 AM Post #59,817 of 136,006
  So I discovered this band through this thread and after a bit of looking on possibly catching them live, I find out they're based out of right where I'm at. As a matter of fact, the bar they're playing in live next month is the same bar a friend works at! Such a small world
tongue_smile.gif

damn.... I wish I could see them live. 

Apr 12, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #59,820 of 136,006

Users who are viewing this thread

Back