What Are You Listening To Right Now?
Apr 11, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #59,792 of 136,427

Björk - Vulnicura

Finally bought this. Giving it a first listen. After Biophilia was so phenomenal, I guess I didn't dare to expect the new album would be very good. We'll see how it fares. Björk is an amazing lady.

I've been listening to Vulnicura, too. It's actually my first listen to Bjork, even though I've known who she is for years, I've never listened to her. We were born the same year and I read some very positive reviews. It's good for me to get out of my usual rock and metal box and I'm always looking for interesting indie/pop electronica, etc.

I like it! Some might say it's a downer of an album as it basically chronicles the end of a long term relationship that results in betryayal, heartbreak, chidren....pretty heavy, heady adult stuff.

This album isn't as accessible as other artists I might call avant garde or at least off beat female singer songwirters with pop/rock sensibilities (I.e., Julia Holter's excellent Loud City Song or even Fona Apple's The Idler Wheel is Wiser), but very unique and I can appreciate how very talented Bjork is.

It's a challenging album in some ways as Bjork expresses such grief and pain. You kind of just want to give her a hug and tell her-"you're going to meet another great guy-I promise-he probably didn't deserve you!" Very well done.

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #59,794 of 136,427
Cuff Links - Tracy
Abbey Road - Side 2 from "You Never Give Me Your Money onwards
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising
Split Enz - Message to My Girl
Stevie Wonder - Living For The City
Men At Work - Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive
Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Pink Floyd - Money

Apr 11, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #59,797 of 136,427

Listened to  Beat The Champ the other evening. Just shows you a pretty good album can be made from just about any subject. 
beerchug.gif

I was a little put off by the woodwinds in the album at first since I'm not used to that in a Mountain Goats LP, but beneath the studio shine (which has been present for a couple albums now) it's still The Mountain Goats, and John Darnielle is still consistently one of the best songwriters in today's world, regardless of subject matter. The album grew on me quickly, and though I wouldn't count it as one of my favorite Mountain Goats albums, it's still a great collection of songs.

I'm seeing them live next weekend for the first time, and I couldn't be more excited.

Apr 11, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #59,800 of 136,427

I was a little put off by the woodwinds in the album at first since I'm not used to that in a Mountain Goats LP, but beneath the studio shine (which has been present for a couple albums now) it's still The Mountain Goats, and John Darnielle is still consistently one of the best songwriters in today's world, regardless of subject matter. The album grew on me quickly, and though I wouldn't count it as one of my favorite Mountain Goats albums, it's still a great collection of songs.

I'm seeing them live next weekend for the first time, and I couldn't be more excited.

It was my first time hearing them. More than worth looking into some other titles from them.

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #59,802 of 136,427
So I discovered this band through this thread and after a bit of looking on possibly catching them live, I find out they're based out of right where I'm at. As a matter of fact, the bar they're playing in live next month is the same bar a friend works at! Such a small world
tongue_smile.gif

Rose Windows: The Sun Dogs

The scene at 2 mins is right by where I work, that standing structure isn't there anymore though.

Apr 11, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #59,804 of 136,427
51B61gp8llL.jpg
91Sol7lrRiL._SX522_.jpg

5192D-%2BvamL.jpg
51F5R6lDi1L.jpg

61GvwuyTa4L.jpg
91xm391TtAL._SX522_.jpg

91i9-hF%2BnaL._SX522_.jpg

Wovenhand-Refractory Obdurate (one of my favorite rock albums from 2014)

613MfQN2CeL.jpg

Horseback-Half Blood 2012 (beyond classification)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back