What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
May 22, 2022 at 12:54 PM Post #14,297 of 14,565
I hope everyone is enjoying their celebrations of Richard Wagner's 209th birthday, feel free to add your own Wagner rarities!

May 22, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #14,298 of 14,565

Götz Friedrich’s Production of the Ring

Perhaps not a rarity (or is it?). I've never been able to find a DVD or BRD of this staging or musical clips of any of its stagings at various opera houses. In 1989 at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC I got to see the second weeks performances of Goetz Friedrich's Deutch Opera Berlin "Ring" cycle. (I believe this production ran from 1984 until 2017.) My one and only live "Ring". For years I had hoped to find a DVD of this "Time Tunnel" production, performed at any location, in vain. The first picture is the opening scene of "Das Rheingold" as the curtain goes up and 4 minutes of pure, unending E-flat major rises from the orchestra and the figures under the sheets remain motionless.
What really brought it full circle (or should I say cycle) for me was at the closing scene of "Gotterdammerung", as the final bars of the opera are playing, a giant sheet the full width of the stage runs from the back to the front of the stage in mid-air representing the Rhine overflowing and as the sheet settles on to the stage itself, the figures of the opening scene of "Rheingold" are placed in the exact same positions at the end of "Gotterdammerung" under the sheet.

1653244960443.png

May 31, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #14,299 of 14,565
I am just about adjusted to GMT. Enjoyed Henry VI part 2 and 3 last Thursday - the day after I landed, yikes - and Saint-Saens's Samson and Delilah on Sunday afternoon. The production was really something, the Philistine's god depicted as a gaudy, bright-colors-and-gold-clad deity of gambling. The contributions of the ballet were noted and effective. The tenor who made his Royal Opera House debut - SeokJong Baek - a very exciting new arrival on the music scene. Like Melchior and like Domingo, he trained as a baritone before moving into the tenor repertoire, which gives him the very robust bottom necessary (should he choose to go there) for Wagner. His top end was less strained than in this Celeste Aida, though the video gives an idea of his baritonal origins.

Last night at the Barbican we saw Lise Davidsen and a surprisingly lyrical tenor, Freddie de Tommaso, do arias and duets. Freddie has that old school Italian technique that sort of reminds you of Giuseppe di Stefano or Franco Corelli. He's 28 and the quintessential Italian tenor - not quite as loud as a Mario del Monaco. Mario was always a bit loud for my taste, though that probably served him well as Otello, which I am likely to see in July both at the ROH and at Grange Park. Still waiting to see if I can make it to Flying Dutchman.

Lise was of course a revelation as usual. She started with Dich, teure Halle and went on to sing the Verdi Ave Maria, Vissi D'Arte, I could have danced all night, a thrilling aria from the queen of spades, and a few duets. The A flat at the end of the Ave was the highlight of the evening for me - I don't know I've ever heard it with more control. Her dextrous use of her huge instrument surpasses decisively, to my ear, the clunky Nilssonianism that has become the iconic Wagnerian sound since the Solti studio records with her. I imagine she is closer to the golden age Flagstad or Leider, though as those were never recorded in particularly good sound, it's always hard to say. She must be 6'2" - the tenor was a solid head shorter (as in Meistersinger at the Met last December).

Attachments

• A8893907-D1CC-47DA-835D-6F8944EEC830.jpeg
    A8893907-D1CC-47DA-835D-6F8944EEC830.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 945ACAF0-7426-467F-BF0B-CBEF045563A9.jpeg
    945ACAF0-7426-467F-BF0B-CBEF045563A9.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 080BE257-DB55-4305-B9E9-5D70B118F189.jpeg
    080BE257-DB55-4305-B9E9-5D70B118F189.jpeg
    903.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 727DA48A-2801-48F6-BE1B-2AB23779D8CE.jpeg
    727DA48A-2801-48F6-BE1B-2AB23779D8CE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DA5B0767-F135-4253-B741-CB909578A685.jpeg
    DA5B0767-F135-4253-B741-CB909578A685.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 4, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #14,300 of 14,565

@Baldr Maybe mention the PCM63 or other old school R2R tonight?

Playing around with one and LiM. Sounds fun/raw with a good digital source.
Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 12.57.37 AM.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

[Random PCM63 R2R fyi (Adcom GDA-600)] This is a surprising delight to listen to - does need modern ti opa1656's / deleted fcc parts on the output. Classic Adcom cranked class A (the opamps run toasty). It's LiM taken too far! Plopped this here to share the fun playing around with the roots of this stuff... a lucky timeless keeper.

Update: completed a full electrolytic cap replace for reliability and splurged on 2 exotic Vishay z-foils for fun since it's the only part the final signal goes thru.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.18.01 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.18.01 AM.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0239.jpg
    IMG_0239.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5746.jpg
    IMG_5746.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.20.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 12.20.31 AM.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 3.04.39 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 3.04.39 AM.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0278.jpg
    IMG_0278.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 4, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #14,301 of 14,565

[Random PCM63 R2R fyi] This is a surprising delight to listen to - does need modern ti opa1656's / deleted fcc parts on the output. Classic Adcom cranked class A (the opamps run toasty). It's LiM taken too far! Plopped this here to share the fun playing around with the roots of this stuff... a lucky timeless keeper.

I have one of these that I similarly modified and the sound is fantastic!

Jun 7, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #14,302 of 14,565
Hey all,
Once upon a time I used to post here....
After dealing with:
1. Dual delta sigma designs on all of our less expensive DACs to keep them in production.
2. Dual DSP platforms on all of our higher end DACs to keep them in production (still in process, but getting better).
3. Translating our digital filter to FPGAs to keep our higher end DACs in production if all DSP platforms leave the planet.
I may actually post again!!
Really - not just an empty threat.

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,
1. The completion of our first ground-up custom programmed mega burrito delta sigma DAC. I used to think that ds designs sounded like a slapped ass. Turs out I was fulla Schiit, but completely? Stay tuned.
2. What's the diff between the dsp platforms and the diff between the less expensive DACs. More coming.
3. A whole new way of analog/digital coupling which is giving me a 35 year maxima in audio wood.

Back to the fun!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 7, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #14,303 of 14,565
Hey all,
After dealing with:
1. Dual delta sigma designs on all of our less expensive DACs to keep them in production.
2. Dual DSP platforms on all of our higher end DACs to keep them in production (still in process, but getting better).
3. Translating our digital filter to FPGAs to keep our higher end DACs in production if all DSP platforms leave the planet.

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,
1. The completion of our first ground-up custom programmed mega burrito delta sigma DAC. I used to think that ds designs sounded like a slapped ass. Turs out I was fulla Schiit, but completely? Stay tuned.
2. What's the diff between the dsp platforms and the diff between the less expensive DACs. More coming.
3. A whole new way of analog/digital coupling which is giving me a 35 year maxima in audio wood.

Back to the fun!
Great to hear from you, REALLY looking forward to the new reveals! Stay well! And have fun (which it sounds like you’re doing)!

Jun 7, 2022 at 1:42 AM Post #14,304 of 14,565
Hey all,
After dealing with:

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,

Back to the fun!
So great to hear from you!

I am feeling a bit sad for my wallet though...

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #14,305 of 14,565
Hey all,
After dealing with:

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,

Back to the fun!
glad that you are making good progress in the digital realm. i presume that the custom programmed d s DAC will be affordable (in BF2 price range or perhaps even half that)?

anticipating new products that will again challenge the cost/performance ratio.

gadget?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #14,306 of 14,565
Great to hear from you, REALLY looking forward to the new reveals! Stay well! And have fun (which it sounds like you’re doing)!
You took the mouth right out of my words.

Jun 7, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #14,307 of 14,565
Hey all,
After dealing with:

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,

Back to the fun!
All of those subjects sound interesting!

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #14,308 of 14,565
Hey all,
After dealing with:

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,

Back to the fun!
Delta Sigma did sound like ass, until you went and fixed it.

Any wurd on Urd?

PS-Stay healthy, have fun, enjoy music.

Jun 7, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #14,309 of 14,565
Hey all,
After dealing with:

But what to talk about??
Wellllll,

Back to the fun!
Nice to hear from you directly. Rather than secondhand through Jason. Stay well. Stay happy.

Jun 7, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #14,310 of 14,565
Hey all,

Back to the fun!
So glad to hear from you and to see you're doing what you love!

Now, 35y maxima sounds intriguing. Tell us more...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back