What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Apr 14, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #14,266 of 14,566
I love my music server, I don’t stream that much, but it’s there. It rips cd really well, love the finger print analyses. However you must mortgage your house, or forgo your next car upgrade..

Apr 14, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #14,267 of 14,566
Not me. Streaming music is a dream come true for me. I accumulated 12 linear feet of LPs (in shelf space) and maybe a couple of thousand CDs. It happened because there is always a lot of music and recordings I want to listen to, but previously there was no way to listen except by purchasing the recordings. A large part of my collection I only listened to only a few times, or even just one time. There is always an endless supply of music I want to explore but don't necessarily want to own. Streaming allows it to happen for me.
Yeah me too. I gave up on vinyl a long time ago and at this point all of my CDs are ripped to my hard drive. However, since I started streaming I don't play music I own very often unless I am in the mood for something that is not available on my streaming service. Generally I play new music most of the time and just LOVE how much is available streaming.

I've found Allmusic.com is a great source for looking up music that is similar to something else I like. I do have some favorites that I listen to often but most of the time I am listening to a new artist most of the time and it is just a great experience to have so much available!

Apr 15, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #14,268 of 14,566
Somewhere in the 2003 I felt digital on CD (with my Wadia transport and dac) was improved enough to justify my selling my entire vinyl collection and do away with the ceremony of wash, rinse,dry and cue up.
The convenience and simplicity of digital media was hard to beat from my perspective.
I've investigated storage playback type boxes. The problem is with classical is I could end up with a dozen different composers on one CD and this presented a cataloguing and browsing nightmare with over 3,000 CD's. So I haven't pursued it. My 200 or so jazz and popular music CD's and another 100+ of film scores would have been ok, but too many of my classical would have turned the job into a career of in-putting data.
I have an excellent program for my dvd's, blu-rays, and 4K's that is based is based on a user developed data base. "DVD Profiler". I put in the UPC number and it generates a full page of info on that dvd, etc., that gets pulled in and backed up (for later recall if a problem arises). With only 1,600 films I have only had to contribute 2 profiles for discs not in the data base, over what? Say 15+ years. So I contributed the info to the data base for others to draw on. Otherwise, somebody else always beat me to the punch and the disc info was there for me to add to my personal data base with 1 click.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #14,269 of 14,566
The problem is with classical is I could end up with a dozen different composers on one CD and this presented a cataloguing and browsing nightmare with over 3,000 CD's.
This. One can put together a reasonably cost-effective storage system except for the labor cost of fixing all the bad online data for classical music.

I'm happy with a linux computer (any) running minimserver feeding a Linn Akurate over Ethernet and controlled with Linn Kazoo.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #14,270 of 14,566
Wrong Thread, moved to Schiit Happened.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #14,274 of 14,566
My Yggdrasil(s) have been the one constant in both my upstairs and downstairs rigs. Other gear gets rotated around, some replaced, but that dac is the most analog sounding piece of digital gear I've ever experienced.

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #14,275 of 14,566
My Yggdrasil(s) have been the one constant in both my upstairs and downstairs rigs. Other gear gets rotated around, some replaced, but that dac is the most analog sounding piece of digital gear I've ever experienced.

Ditto - My Yggy is on my headphone system and rocking out as I type this. LOVE it. No fatigue and everything has passion, clarity, and foot-tappin' excitement.

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #14,277 of 14,566
I hope my "less is more" is as good as the Og version
Unless you had them side by side I suspect it would be tough to know. The important thing is how "less is more" meets your expectations for sound.

Apr 27, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #14,278 of 14,566
Schiit has shaped my expectations so thoroughly for the past 7 years that I think it’s a deeply two way street at this point

Steinway finally got their tuner out to tube my piano. Piano tuners are such cool people.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #14,279 of 14,566
I hope my "less is more" is as good as the Og version

My LIM "upgrade" to my OG version is about to ship, so I'll post my impressions in a few weeks.

OG sounds awesome, but it makes bad recordings sound bad. Apparently LIM is supposed to be more foregiving this way, so I need to try it.

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #14,280 of 14,566
Listening to the Sibelius violin concerto on HE-6 and my first impression is the sound is much deeper and richer than I'm used to (though I've been using chord mojo as an interim, bifrost is with Magnius and the Airmotivs). I think it will take awhile to get the full stock of Yggy.

The richter Rach 2 on HD800 is similarly lovely. This is also the first balanced input my Mjolnir has ever had.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back