What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 11, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #14,071 of 14,564
Had the great pleasure yesterday to sit through the last 9 piano sonatas of Beethoven at SF Jazz. Kent Nagano put together the two-day marathon festival of all 32, though I just saw 24 to the end. Stephen Kovacevich (81 this week) emerging to play 30 and 31 was a special treat. And the woman who played Hammerklavier did so with wit and élan.

The last movement of that mighty piece in particular I realize I may very likely never understand. It bedevils the ear with intricacy and frustration. The closest company seems to be Grosse Fugue, but even that has a raw, muscular logic that I find some meaning in, some ability to navigate. I will need much more time with Hammerklavier, and more reading on it.

Oct 12, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #14,072 of 14,564
Had the great pleasure yesterday to sit through the last 9 piano sonatas of Beethoven at SF Jazz. Kent Nagano put
SFJAZZ Miner auditorium acoustics work for piano especially well IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #14,073 of 14,564
IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0068.jpeg

@Baldr Maybe mention the PCM63 or other old school R2R tonight?

Playing around with one and LiM. Sounds fun/raw with a good digital source.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #14,075 of 14,564
I finally cleaned the LPs I bought of Berlioz's Beatrice et Benedict - with Colin Davis conducting. A bit scratchy at first, but after about 10 minutes it got a lot better. As with my 1942 Tannhauser (which I heard with Mike at the Schiitr), the LP is slightly faster than the CD. Not quite sure why.

The Salks are expected sometime in the next two months - over 50% done. Is there any chance that Ragnarok will get backordered between now and then?

Oct 24, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #14,076 of 14,564
I finally cleaned the LPs I bought of Berlioz's Beatrice et Benedict - with Colin Davis conducting. A bit scratchy at first, but after about 10 minutes it got a lot better. As with my 1942 Tannhauser (which I heard with Mike at the Schiitr), the LP is slightly faster than the CD. Not quite sure why.
Don't know why that would be the case for the Davis recording, but for 1942 (78 era) it was common for speed and pitch to be off. During transfer from 78 masters to LP or CD, the engineer makes judgements about applying speed corrections and they might have been different between the LP and CD releases.
https://charm.rhul.ac.uk/history/p20_4_3.html
It's also possible that your turntable spins slightly fast, although in modern turntables the variance should be very small.

Oct 24, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #14,077 of 14,564

The Salks are expected sometime in the next two months - over 50% done. Is there any chance that Ragnarok will get backordered between now and then?
if you want a Ragnarok 2, especially in sliver, its best to order while in stock. the metalwork can easily cause a few weeks or more of delay. Also the present inventory might be become depleted from early increased holiday sales volume, since many repeat customers are aware that Schiit doesn't have holiday / black friday specials.

(added)
RIP Bernard Haitink

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #14,078 of 14,564
The closer we get to Christmas, the more the shipping industry will be a total schiit-show. I would order ASAP.

Oct 26, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #14,079 of 14,564
Thread title: “What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) “

Huh? What does that mean?? Robert Hunter?? Who?

A little explanation is in order.

A reader of this thread may conclude that I am a fan of Germanic opera; true, that. Also, that I am not particularly a fan of light Italian opera. (Also true.) I do, however, remove the prerequisite broomstick up my ass as I switch from opera to The Grateful Dead – “What a long strange trip it’s been” – Lyrics from Truckin’ which is a Dead song from the American Beauty Album.

On a serious note for me, Robert Hunter was a now and again lyricist for the Dead, responsible for Ripple and Box of Rain from the above referenced American Beauty album. The former is my anthem.

Why? Well, I enjoy music. Really, really enjoy music mentally, emotionally, and even spiritually (not to sound maudlin). The problem is that I have NO songwriting talent. None, nada, bereftissimo. For the last almost 50 years, I have been building audio equipment to satisfy me mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. The song Ripple is about creating songs and music with this goal: “Would you hold it near, as if it were own?” There is even a bit of simplified spirituality alluding to the fountain of songwriting:

“Let it be known, there is a fountain, that was not made by the hands of men”.

So that is why I build audio. To hold music near. I can’t create nothin’ musically, but I keep doing all I can to re-create it. Thanks to all for listening to the musings of an old guy.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #14,082 of 14,564
I'm also not a musician, but I am an avid audience for live in-person and recorded music. Music is one of the great joys and formative factors in my life. That includes the Grateful Dead over the long term (I met my wife at a GD show!), and Schiit hardware more recently. So, I will add my thanks, to Robert Hunter (RIP) and to @Baldr .

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #14,085 of 14,564
My goal when building my HP system was to find components that make instruments sound as real as possible considering the digital source, not an easy task.
I found it - or close enough to be happy - with the Gungnir MB. Thanks, Mike and Schiit Audio. The next steps were to find a "neutral" amp and headphones, that don't impart undue coloration to the analog sound. I've been happy with the rig in my signature line for several years now. To me, it makes the music sound real. YMMV but enjoy the ride and especially enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back