What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #13,081 of 14,566
If I may add, why not use a SYS, any Schiit DAC you desire and any DSD DAC you desire? That way you still can have both Schiit products you want and DSD when you need; just use the SYS to switch between the DACs depending on what you are listening to

great idea, but make it 4 of them better; 2 delta sigma and 2 R2R

And then also 8 pre amps instead of one, since today is terrible idea day apparently, there goes mine; 4 dac's and 8 pre amps, for 2 ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #13,082 of 14,566
Problem is, Schiit also didn't want to add DSD to all of its DACs and make each of them more expensive (remember that you need to license the usage of the technology) especially since most of us don't use DSD

DSD license is pretty much nothing, MQA license is the expensive one. Schiit people have a position against DSD, brave position that I applaud, but 1% of my library is DSD, sounds great, every 90€ dac plays DSD, my crappy curent 90$ dac does dsd, not gonna upgrade to a non DSD DAC, ever, because I am extremely stupid, but not that that stupid.

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #13,083 of 14,566
Firstly, let's stick with audio discussion, not politicking of any form

That aside, I can see why you won't want the SYS idea since it does makes things messier with more cables and outputs. I suggested it since sometimes you need to do so to get best of both worlds.

It may be better for you to consider other DACs I am afraid. If you are already happy with your cheap DAC that does both DSD and not, why not? Maybe buy Schiit amps or even just their "Schwag" if you like :p

You are not wrong in that DSD is not something to be ignored full-scale, but just that Schiit has firmly decided that it is not working out for them and let its products reflect that decision. Yes, it's a pity for those who wants to badly buy their stuff and also still have DSD but if their products don't suit their needs, it may be more time-efficient to get something else more suitable first and then see how it goes

Oct 22, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #13,085 of 14,566
...negating DSD is bad for the company...no dsd on the dacs it's a no go for me really. shame.
Well...am thinking Schiit ownership would disagree!

Somehow I can envision Jason responding with a "That's cool..." :wink:

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #13,087 of 14,566
To play devil's advocate, that's a legit need and standpoint still.

It's a matter of whether [insert company name] can and want to profit from it or not.

If they want, cool, buy from them. If they don't, cool, buy from someone else. That's how things work

PS: I am not saying that suggesting is a bad idea either, just that it may be more resource-efficient to buy what you need right now first while seeing if the suggestion(s) work out or not

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #13,088 of 14,566
This explains it. 1% of your library is DSD and for most people it's even less than that. You can add DSD to the long list of audio formats that never gained market traction and therefore makes little difference to the majority of customers.
Yep...0% here...so Schiit's DAC marketing strategy / product mix aligns very well with this consumer's needs! :beerchug:

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #13,089 of 14,566
To play devil's advocate, that's a legit need and standpoint still.

I'd say it stops being so once someone starts using inappropriate language and politically charged insults to get the point across.

A modicum of due diligence would have revealed literally everything that has been explained in the past few posts, as both Jason and Mike have addressed the topic in the past.

Similarly, suggesting they do a product "like everyone else and their brother too are doing and selling" is both not very compelling in general, and counter to Schiit's entire philosophy (again, as explained extensively on many occasions by Jason himself.) But hey, I'm sure endless whining and deliberate insults are going to change Mike's and Jason's mind on the topic. Schiit Myth 2 - A DAC like everyone else and their brother too are doing and selling. Coming soon—you heard it here first.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #13,090 of 14,566
micro usb's still, power button on the back, gain button on the back.

2025 it is for schiit.

Oct 22, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #13,092 of 14,566
I am really into audiophile releases, especially jazz, and have been listening to some hybrid SACDs and comparing those discs, played in native DSD, to their CD layer. I should preface it that my SACD player is a multi-format player and my DAC is the Yggdrasil. I believe when hear the multi-but DACS, especially the Bifrost on up, you will realize DSD doesn’t sound as good. HOWEVER, I firmly believe if you love audiophile recordings and want the cheapest why to play them back, get a multi-format SACD player that puts out native DSD. It will sound really good and your money will just be spent on buying albums or downloads.

I love Jazz and Classical and have spent the last two months comparing and no SACD sounds better than the red book layer through one of the Schiit multi-bit DACs. This is my experience and opinion of course. Schiit is focusing on PCM and the more I read and listen, the more I understand why they made this decision.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #13,093 of 14,566
Your weekly reminder to ignore the trolls, turn up the Wagner, and spend more on your coffee

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #13,094 of 14,566
I am really into audiophile releases, especially jazz, and have been listening to some hybrid SACDs and comparing those discs, played in native DSD, to their CD layer. I should preface it that my SACD player is a multi-format player and my DAC is the Yggdrasil. I believe when hear the multi-but DACS, especially the Bifrost on up, you will realize DSD doesn’t sound as good. HOWEVER, I firmly believe if you love audiophile recordings and want the cheapest why to play them back, get a multi-format SACD player that puts out native DSD. It will sound really good and your money will just be spent on buying albums or downloads.

I love Jazz and Classical and have spent the last two months comparing and no SACD sounds better than the red book layer through one of the Schiit multi-bit DACs. This is my experience and opinion of course. Schiit is focusing on PCM and the more I read and listen, the more I understand why they made this decision.

I agree with you, happened the same to me, but probably a multibit dac already has lost the detail battle, the resolution battle. It's like is you tell me that you downloaded a 8K movie last night, 2000Gb, 8K resolution image, no compression, but you noticed no improvement over regular DVD when you play in on your 720p display...

Get a resolving setup, a natively mastered DSD album, a recording studio expensive speakers, and then come back and tell me what is your opinion on DSD. Get a german made RME DAC, and a gethain german speaekrs, listen to some DSD, and after that, let me know you don't see any benefit on DSD or can't hear a difference.

Oct 22, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #13,095 of 14,566
Problem is, Schiit also didn't want to add DSD to all of its DACs and make each of them more expensive (remember that you need to license the usage of the technology) especially since most of us don't use DSD
Agree with this ... except for the "Problem is" part.

Schiit chose to make DSD available to only the niche of people who wanted DSD, and chose to not make everybody else pay for technology that is peripheral at best to the way the vast majority of people listen to music. And it turns out that the number of people willing to "pay extra for DSD capabilities", when given an affordable high-quality choice, was vanishingly small.

Great choice by Schiit.

Edit/add: I have a small number of DSD files. They sound great. My ifiAudio iDSD plays them. But basically, I had to seek out those files specifically to have some DSD to audition. If any of my normal sources of music offers native DSD, I've not noticed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back