What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Oct 26, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #13,111 of 14,566
I can perfectly understand a MQA boikot, but negating DSD is bad for the company, I am interested on schitt products, modius, magnius and the new joutenheim, but no dsd on the dacs it's a no go for me really. shame.

If DSD wasn't and continues to be less than 1% of all the digital media available then I would imagine that Schiit, and the rest of the audio enthusiast world would be interested. However it isn't and more likely won't be. " but negating DSD is bad for the company" They've been pretty damn successful without it so I don't think they really care. But there are plenty of products out there that have DSD capability which you can avail yourself of. Knock yourself out.

I could not even think of a more poor, simplistic and stupid argument than that really. It didn't sold, but it was because of the DSD option of course, LOL. And then all the rest of cheap topping smsl denafrips, etc DAC's that sell a lot and have DSD?

It's a solid argument so far. LOL. You might want to travel to safer waters. Here Be Dragons.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #13,113 of 14,566
I think if history (schiit) tells us anything is that they build the products that make sense to them. If you like it and want to buy one great. If their products are not a fit because you want mqa, dsd or other that they don't want to support... That is ok too. There are others in the marketplace to take your money.

Maybe said nicer they can't be all things to all people.

Oct 26, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #13,117 of 14,566
As with many things, it's better done quietly and for one's own relief than publicly announced.

Are there any transport or gadget or dac updates?

Oct 27, 2020 at 1:18 AM Post #13,119 of 14,566
As with many things, it's better done quietly and for one's own relief than publicly announced.

Are there any transport or gadget or dac updates?

including a shot of the casework with a drive in it. CD tray on the left side, a small display, and a lotta buttons. development on both Transport and Gadget ongoing. Transport is PCM only (no DSD / SACD support), dev & testing to include compatibility with non-Schiit DACs. Gadget to include pitch shifting & dynamic range expander, but no syncing of vocals with accompaniment, supports 24/96 bit rate (24/192 would require 4x the processing power, so not likely). IIRC nothing about DAC updates.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #13,120 of 14,566
DSD license is pretty much nothing, MQA license is the expensive one. Schiit people have a position against DSD, brave position that I applaud, but 1% of my library is DSD, sounds great, every 90€ dac plays DSD, my crappy curent 90$ dac does dsd, not gonna upgrade to a non DSD DAC, ever, because I am extremely stupid, but not that that stupid.

Chord makes great DACs that support DSD. Get one of those instead of trolling here.

Oct 27, 2020 at 5:59 AM Post #13,121 of 14,566
including a shot of the casework with a drive in it. CD tray on the left side, a small display, and a lotta buttons. development on both Transport and Gadget ongoing. Transport is PCM only (no DSD / SACD support), dev & testing to include compatibility with non-Schiit DACs. Gadget to include pitch shifting & dynamic range expander, but no syncing of vocals with accompaniment, supports 24/96 bit rate (24/192 would require 4x the processing power, so not likely). IIRC nothing about DAC updates.

Sounds like the Gadget would be of interest to me rather than the Transport

Oct 27, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #13,122 of 14,566
Oct 28, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #13,124 of 14,566
I haven't seen any posts on the possible CD tray to be used in Transport. This CD tray loader looks like the one that's on the prototype shown on Facebook, at least to me. Made by StreamUnlimited "JPL-2800 Silver".

This page has pictures of the tray and a link to a PDF paper on its specs.
https://www.suos-hifi.com/

Players with the 2800:
https://www.paragonsns.com/products/dcs-rossini-player-dac
https://www.goldnote.it/product/cd-1000-mk2/
I agree it could be the one.
Jason mentioned it was (as far as he knew) a Philips spin-off company that was the manufacturer of the tray loader, can't find information on that being the case.
Still I agree it looks like you found the match.
On top of that the StreamUnlimited website to me explains a lot about how many audio companies are able to deliver streamers and such.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #13,125 of 14,566
I agree it could be the one.
Jason mentioned it was (as far as he knew) a Philips spin-off company that was the manufacturer of the tray loader, can't find information on that being the case.
Still I agree it looks like you found the match.
On top of that the StreamUnlimited website to me explains a lot about how many audio companies are able to deliver streamers and such.
https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/obs...ustria-business-creation-and-entrepreneurship

from the article:
Analysis

The aforementioned case is not so much an example of an offensive strategy aimed at supporting and creating spin-offs; rather, it is more an example of how a virtue can be made out of a necessity. Confronted with a decision taken by top management at Philips to relocate part of its operations, the local actors made a combined and concerted effort to avoid the most negative effect of all, namely, unemployment. The success of these endeavours is particularly evident in the development of the spin-off company Stream Unlimited, whose achievements are reflected in its economic development and employment growth. The support provided to the other redundant workers in the form of the new placement programme and training have also been successful, resulting in the redeployment of 92 of the 100 workers made redundant.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back