What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #12,751 of 14,566
How cumbersome. You'll need to use different output types for each device. I would never do that. One source to one DAC and use a analog preamp. Or with the DAC set to one input type, if you need multiple sources of the same input type use a digital switcher. To each his own I suppose, but please do not clutter up the beauty of Yggdrasil with a noisy RF remote control.
Am I supposed to buy multiple yggdrassils just to be able to watch movies using the same set of speakers I listen to music on?

Jul 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #12,753 of 14,566
Am I supposed to buy multiple yggdrassils just to be able to watch movies using the same set of speakers I listen to music on?
Do what works for you. I am just asking for no RF in Yggdrasil.

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #12,755 of 14,566
I think all the remotes Schiit has used so far have been IR, if that makes any difference to you
Actually IR is potentially worse as it operates at about 38Khz where RF is up on the Mhz range. IR is closer to audible frequencies...

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #12,756 of 14,566
Actually IR is potentially worse as it operates at about 38Khz where RF is up on the Mhz range. IR is closer to audible frequencies...

Pardon my ignorance, but does that matter other than the brief moments where the IR transmitter on the remote is actually in use? Or would the IR receiver always emit some noise that would potentially affect the sound?

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #12,757 of 14,566
Pardon my ignorance, but does that matter other than the brief moments where the IR transmitter on the remote is actually in use? Or would the IR receiver always emit some noise that would potentially affect the sound?
It's the receiver I care about. Some of them are very noisy all the time. I am sure Schiit uses those they find most quiet, but why take the chance in a higher-end device? If people need a remote controlled preamp they should buy one and stop using their DAC as a switcher. IMO, YMMV, and Whatever Floats Your Boat (tm).

Jul 27, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #12,758 of 14,566

The IR (infrared) I'm familiar with has a wavelength of about 700nm.

JC

Jul 27, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #12,761 of 14,566
I use the Yggdrasil for audio and tv/ps 4. I have no problems with just pressing the I put selector button. Typically I don’t switch between sources during the same session. If it’s set right in the beginning that’s usually enough for the entire session. I have so many remotes, often it’s faster to press the button than to find the right remote!

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #12,763 of 14,566
never seen mike moffet or his buddy jason before , was watching a fellow with red hair doing a thing on youtube about the orphues and sennheiser 800s heaphones ... the i though hay google schitt ... just watched a video of mike moffet and jason saying **** ****et **** you garbage trucks bunnys **** in your closet : ) ... god bless you sir and long live schitt ... if i had the money omg id buy everything ... first watched that record player video ... that ****en thing looks like a da vinci , beautifull ... mike iv a plan to make 16 million , 15 thousand buys in so i can eventualy buy some of your schitt 🇺🇸🎻🎺

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #12,764 of 14,566
do you put plugs in the unused toslink inputs? some IR receivers use current-sourced differential pair to minimize noise coupled to the power rails at the expense of higher quiescent current.
Hmm, not a bad idea, but no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back