What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 13, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #12,723 of 14,566
As a wise man once said: not getting what you need now because you are afraid of missing the next big thing means you will never have what you need. :)

There's also a big difference in want and need... Although I do need a DAC, and I really want Yggdrasil. I believe for right now Bifrost 2 will fill the need, plus I spent the extra $$$ that would have gone to Yggdrasil on another hobby...

Jul 14, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #12,724 of 14,566
There's also a big difference in want and need... Although I do need a DAC, and I really want Yggdrasil. I believe for right now Bifrost 2 will fill the need, plus I spent the extra $$$ that would have gone to Yggdrasil on another hobby...

obviously, your priorities need some realignment :)

Jul 14, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #12,725 of 14,566

There are other hobbies? Huh. Ya learn something new every day. :beerchug:

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #12,726 of 14,566
obviously, your priorities need some realignment :)
There are other hobbies? Huh. Ya learn something new every day. :beerchug:

Ohhh how I wish I only had 1 hobby, not only that it seems that most of my other hobbies are expensive as well. I usually (try) to go through spurts of spending only on one at a time, lately it's been sim racing, which is WAY cheaper than real racing, plus the consequences of having a brain fart aren't nearly as painful (or expensive), but you can still get hurt, I jammed the Schiit outta my thumb with a runaway steering wheel a couple weeks ago and it's still a little tender...

Jul 14, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #12,727 of 14,566
Ohhh how I wish I only had 1 hobby, not only that it seems that most of my other hobbies are expensive as well. I usually (try) to go through spurts of spending only on one at a time, lately it's been sim racing, which is WAY cheaper than real racing, plus the consequences of having a brain fart aren't nearly as painful (or expensive), but you can still get hurt, I jammed the Schiit outta my thumb with a runaway steering wheel a couple weeks ago and it's still a little tender...

I have several hobbies: Listening to audio, buying audio equipment, and thinking about what gear to buy next.

Jul 14, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #12,728 of 14,566
You guys probably know how the mind of an audiophile works, but just in case:

4885720.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #12,730 of 14,566
Did someone mention Gadget?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #12,731 of 14,566
The easiest way to appreciate The Ring is to ignore the complex intergod/interman interman/interman incest and enjoy the music, all 15 or so hours of it. The central romantic theme is that Wotan screws anything that moves. There are no aesthetic comparisons to Wagner. It is at once sublime, complex, absurd, and violent. Two things Germans do that few others can is construct 800 page books which deal with philosophy and write music, from Rammstein to Wagner, which is admittedly an acquired taste.

Now that I am in a Wagnerian frame of mind, transitioning from listening to Salome making good on her promise to kiss John the Baptist's mouth after demanding that her stepfather bring her his head on a silver platter. After all, she just performed a striptease for her stepfather, Herod, who was in a position to order the decapitation. Yet another erxample of cheerful German opera, this time from Richard Strauss. This time, however, we owe much of the degeneracy to a Brit, Oscar Wilde, whose play was adapted as the basis of the libretto for Strauss' opera. I apologize for the digression.

Returning to The Ring, I recall buying my first. an early 1950's recording by Furtwangler that was eighteen or so records. This was back in the 1960s. At that time, there was no complete studio recording of all four operas of The Ring. This was about to end with the Solti/Culshaw recordings which were finished by 1965 or so. The recording quality here was what we expect from Solti(and Culshaw) arguably the best yet today. Fast forward to current day and now have ten or so Rings. Even though Solti is hardly a lyrical conductor, his style frequently meshes with the music involved. I have loved that recording for its fidelity, energy, and violence.

Lately, however, I have found the last three operas annoying for Birgit Nilsson's singing. Granted, she was, in her prime, a perfectly pitched very big voiced world class soprano. I suppose it doesn't help that she resembles physically a longshoreman with makeup. Someone you want on your team for the rugby scrum. In the 1960s the type that would have her cigarette pack twisted up in her t-shirt sleeve. Sorry folks - I hope no one is in high dudgeon. These are the mental pictures I get when I hear her sing Brunnhilde. Nothing heroic at all.

TECH STUFF.....................................TECH STUFF........................................TECH STUFF..........................................TECH STUFF.............................................
I lamented and wondered elsewhere if there were any more things to upgrade on Schiit Dacs. This is since USB were the majority upgrades in the first eight years or so of Schiit until USB was finally fixed with the Unison built from scratch USB. Yet we have readily upgradable Bifrost 2s and Yggys. Now I have built several sideways-grade boards which do sound different, some to my distinct preference. What say you?

Back to Salome, if you love it as I do - the Chandos disc with Inga Nielsen is my dramatic fave. She nails Salome as the childlike sociopath using her charms to get what she wants now!

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #12,732 of 14,566
baldr mike glad to see you still going strong and listening to great music , listening to a bit bob dylan at the moment , god hes got a great voice ... good to see schitts selling all sorts of things i wanna by , a speaker amp looks cool and a thing with tubes preamp also looks cool ... has this sight got more complicated , i donna it just seems last time i checked out headfi , it just looked a little easyer a little bit more fun easyer to use and find people and gizmos then it is now ... keep rocking and what ever else you like doing and thanks for sharing your musical taste ...

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #12,733 of 14,566
Lately, however, I have found the last three operas annoying for Birgit Nilsson's singing. Granted, she was, in her prime, a perfectly pitched very big voiced world class soprano. I suppose it doesn't help that she resembles physically a longshoreman with makeup. Someone you want on your team for the rugby scrum. In the 1960s the type that would have her cigarette pack twisted up in her t-shirt sleeve. Sorry folks - I hope no one is in high dudgeon. These are the mental pictures I get when I hear her sing Brunnhilde. Nothing heroic at all. : ) thats funny thanks 👍

Jul 23, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #12,734 of 14,566
Any thoughts on a best performance Die Meistersinger? I think this was Wagner's only "Light" subject matter opera. I'm thinking Jocum but reviews on Amazon are all over the place. I have the Levine on DVD.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back