What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jul 30, 2020 at 8:31 PM Post #12,782 of 14,566
heres the question i wanted to ask ... i read about this gadget thing that schitt was working on like 3 years ago ... then i took a bitta of a break form head phones and things for a couple of years ... and now i watched a video with mike and jason talking about how they gonna build this interchangable chip thats gonna or will be used in all there products from the cheapest to the most expensive ... and you just think is that just what sigma delta mass produced evil corrporations do .. one chip stick em in all the stuff and just give em higher price tags ... mike jason tell me thats not the plan right ... and if it is should i buy a yiggy now before its a sigma delta chip : )

Jul 30, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #12,783 of 14,566
heres the question i wanted to ask ... i read about this gadget thing that schitt was working on like 3 years ago ... then i took a bitta of a break form head phones and things for a couple of years ... and now i watched a video with mike and jason talking about how they gonna build this interchangable chip thats gonna or will be used in all there products from the cheapest to the most expensive ... and you just think is that just what sigma delta mass produced evil corrporations do .. one chip stick em in all the stuff and just give em higher price tags ... mike jason tell me thats not the plan right ... and if it is should i buy a yiggy now before its a sigma delta chip : )

The Gadget was envisioned as a digital audio processor (pitch shifting without changing tempo, and a few other functions), a dynamic range expander, that would require the development of sufficiently powerful and energy efficient CPU's. Not sure if the current CPU chips on the market meet the design requirements (we shall soon see what Jason hinted at releasing mid-year). The Unison USB receiver interface is in production for DACs (like Modius (using AK4493 D/S chip), Bifrost 2 (multibit) and upgrades to earlier on Bifrost OG, Gungnir, and Yggdrasil with Gen 5 USB. Work on the Unison transmitter for the Transport (and perhaps other devices) is still under development.

The Modius uses the AK4493 D/S chip, but is only $199. If Yggdrasil ever gets a D/S chip, it will need to be a very good one to compete with the multibit offerings in terms of performance.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #12,784 of 14,566
I bet a Graphics Processor Unit could handle the needed computations. Maybe we'll see an NVidia, AMD or some other GPU-based Gadget. :wink:

Jul 31, 2020 at 1:34 AM Post #12,785 of 14,566
No, what mike wants is an iPad sticking out of the gadget for user interface and processing

if there’s one thing I know about mike Moffatt he loves other people’s proprietary technology and apples low low prices

Jul 31, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #12,786 of 14,566
No, what mike wants is an iPad sticking out of the gadget for user interface and processing

if there’s one thing I know about mike Moffatt he loves other people’s proprietary technology and apples low low prices

He also loves Tim Cook's truthfulness when testifying before Congress.

Jul 31, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #12,787 of 14,566
I bet a Graphics Processor Unit could handle the needed computations. Maybe we'll see an NVidia, AMD or some other GPU-based Gadget. :wink:

I'm sure Threadripper would do the job. Slap on of those upcoming Noctua passive coolers on it and call it a day.

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #12,788 of 14,566
Re Remote Controls.

I have been very suprised at how much I use the remote on my Bifrost 2. I'm using all three inputs and one is hooked up to my TV. Hamilton on Disney + fed through Bifrost was very enjoyable. Plus the mute on the remote is very handy.

Interesting info that IR might be worse for audio then RF, I never would have guessed that. My ears can't hear a thing above 15k anyway.
Re: Bifrost 2.x remote control. I found my satisfaction with Schiit’s “classic stack” bundle (i.e., Bifrost multibit, USB-5 and Asgard 2). It’d be nice if Schiit offered remote controls and balanced XLR ports as an option on their Bifrost 2, 3, 4,... Ah well, not for me. :)

Jul 31, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #12,789 of 14,566

Your last sentence made me do a double-take. And I then re-read it... very... carefully. Sarcasm! Right? Right! Sigh...

{{{edit... I would actually like a Schiit-optomized Pi-box that has a touchpad sticking off its side... I agree with you, @bosiemoncrieff , iOS is ugly. Yet, I still prefer consuming media using it over my Win10 platform. For stability, I’m happy with my Chromebook and its OS. Christ almighty, I use 4 different operating systems at home... 5 if I count the hinkey OS running on my Netgear internet-WiFi box [[[edit to my edit... Xbox, so 6 OS’s... LG TV has its own OS... so 7? Oy]]]]] }}}

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #12,794 of 14,566
cool , or maybe two of those stealth militery chips from the yiggy , strap em together and bingo ... did anybody see alan parker died yesterday ... f thats a bummer man ... hes was a great director even the wall ... ok i cant stand pink floyd , cant belive i bought all there crap when i was a kid ... but the wall was good , it was banned in my country ... then it showed up one night magicaly on the tellyvision , ok the chicks t s were blurred out and things ... still great movie .. pretty redhead : ) 🍉🍸💅

Jul 31, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #12,795 of 14,566
and just to all those people that like pink floyd like thats fine ... it is intelligent music , they not stupid music ions ... but they suck , they suck big time : ) ... another question ok three years ago i think this sight was easyer to use ... ok i figgered out how to find mike moffet again ... but like how the f do you say for instance i wanna look up what people are talking about a yiggy or talking about a hd800s or what people say about some obscure dac from the 90s thats pretty good ... how do you fine this info on this new sight .. i type in yggsdrasil and its 50 ads to sell a yiggy ... i wanna read what people are talking about , like in this ... i thing this whole new head fi sight sucks and the idiot that desiged the sight should be ... i really cant figger out how it works ... what if someone gets into headphones and sh t and then they come to search headfi you just wont find what you looking for anymore .... it sucks ✌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back