What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Aug 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #12,811 of 14,566
Is your bifrost MB gen 5 or is it an earlier USB rev? how does your Bifrost MB stack up against the modius?

My Bimby is a Gen 5. It's a nice DAC, but I fell in love with the Modius, upon release. The Modius has beautiful treble extension. Good air and bloom, very sweet. Good bass as well, though, it doesn't have the impact of the Gungnir. It's bass response does exhibit very good timbre, and transient response. A nice even frequency balance too. Nothing stands out, but nothing left out either. Still, my favorite Modius sound aspect, is it's low level resolution. It has great micro detail, which really brings out subtleties in the music. Old recordings sound new again, through the Modius. Very much worth it's asking price.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #12,813 of 14,566
One of the 'prices' for popularity is additional complexity.

There are nuggets of wisdom scattered here and there, but you won't find them using a 'search'.
There are some threads that do contain these pearls of wisdom but they are not easy to find.
IOW you have to find them as they won't find you.

And wading thru all of the other posts is a time consuming task, no doubt.
But the 'long term' solution is to 'hang out' in a few well chosen threads and ask questions/pay attention to the specifics which can lead you to some of them.

Of course some folks will provide more useful info for you, based upon what your specific interests are, and what your 'level' of expertise is etc, while others won't.

IOW it's not a 'slam dunk' anymore, and your degree of success is directly related to the time spent in seeking answers, which will be reflected by your degree of interest and tenacious perseverance. :thinking: :ksc75smile:

JJ
Here's the technique I used to learn about this hobby, FWIW:
1. Lurk around on Head-Fi, read and try to comprehend.
2. When brave enough, post a question and then duck.
3. Figure out the posters who make sense and who align with my interests.
4. Look at their profiles - maybe they own gear I'm interested in.
5. If so, then ask them questions via PM. A great way to learn, get acquainted, and not annoy others who aren't interested.

The best advice, and what helped me greatly, was to attend local HP meets. That way you experience first-hand peoples' gear, music, and history. It's also a great way to make new friends with common interests.

Oh, and avoid using the word "you" in a post. Read the posting guidelines for valuable advice :)

Happy Listening,
RCB

Aug 2, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #12,814 of 14,566
Aug 2, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #12,815 of 14,566
My Bimby is a Gen 5. It's a nice DAC, but I fell in love with the Modius, upon release. The Modius has beautiful treble extension. Good air and bloom, very sweet. Good bass as well, though, it doesn't have the impact of the Gungnir. It's bass response does exhibit very good timbre, and transient response. A nice even frequency balance too. Nothing stands out, but nothing left out either. Still, my favorite Modius sound aspect, is it's low level resolution. It has great micro detail, which really brings out subtleties in the music. Old recordings sound new again, through the Modius. Very much worth it's asking price.

Do you think modius is a decent upgrade for getting XLR output for my studio sub and monitor, over my current khadas tone board? khadas giving me disconection issues and has only rca, i need xlr now. I heard about the soncoz, but apparently not the best sounding dac out there...

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #12,816 of 14,566
Do you think modius is a decent upgrade for getting XLR output for my studio sub and monitor, over my current khadas tone board? khadas giving me disconection issues and has only rca, i need xlr now. I heard about the soncoz, but apparently not the best sounding dac out there...

Schiit believed strongly enough in the XLR quality of the Modius to design a specific circuit for it. One circuit for balanced and another for single ended. So, for it's features, sound quality, and price, the Modius is a heck of a DAC.

Aug 2, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #12,817 of 14,566
Stereophile 1992 - Mike Moffat: Re-Creating the Musical Event
Robert Harley | Jun 13, 2019 | First Published: Oct 1, 1992
https://www.stereophile.com/content...7WAWMokZRa9XKDwc3MVIkFuph3b0_uZjB7KSuA0MRnNKI

Thanks for the link. That was an interesting interview. It makes me realize that I need to include more live classical recordings in my listening sessions. That appears to be the best way to hear the spacial characteristics of Schiit's DACs. Especially, the Multibit designs. I'll have to do more A/B comparisons between my Modius and Bimby, as such.

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #12,818 of 14,566
Thanks for the link. That was an interesting interview. It makes me realize that I need to include more live classical recordings in my listening sessions. That appears to be the best way to hear the spacial characteristics of Schiit's DACs. Especially, the Multibit designs. I'll have to do more A/B comparisons between my Modius and Bimby, as such.

try Dvorak's 9th (New World Symphony). I have a decca / london "ddd" CD recorded Oct 1984, CD copyright 1986, Von Dohnanyi, Cleveland Orchestra.
IMO, the massed string sections have more 'air' on D/S (stock output of Denon DVD-2910 before it stopped reading CD's), but the imaging (both left-right placment, and depth) is much better with Multibit (Bifrost OG).

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #12,819 of 14,566
try Dvorak's 9th (New World Symphony). I have a decca / london "ddd" CD recorded Oct 1984, CD copyright 1986, Von Dohnanyi, Cleveland Orchestra.
IMO, the massed string sections have more 'air' on D/S (stock output of Denon DVD-2910 before it stopped reading CD's), but the imaging (both left-right placment, and depth) is much better with Multibit (Bifrost OG).
I love that CD. I think it was my first classical purchase.

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #12,820 of 14,566

I used to work for Nimbus Records, at their CD pressing plant in Virginia. I was lucky enough to run their glass mastering cutting lathes and work in their music studios, as a mastering engineer. So, I have a ton of Nimbus classical CD releases. Many were recorded using their Ambisonics process, which should yield some good test candidates.

Oh, I still miss my old Denon DCD-1520 CD player. That thing was great, and displayed all the meta data info on a CD. I need to pick up one of their newer do everything players for CD (and SACD) support.

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #12,821 of 14,566
I love that CD. I think it was my first classical purchase.
My first classical purchases were all for car audio demonstrations when I was like 16 or 17. All Telarc CD's Tchaikovsky 1812, Bachbusters, Time Warp, and Star Tracks. I still use all 4 of these to this day for testing/verifying :)

Aug 3, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #12,822 of 14,566
I used to work for Nimbus Records, at their CD pressing plant in Virginia. I was lucky enough to run their glass mastering cutting lathes and work in their music studios, as a mastering engineer. So, I have a ton of Nimbus classical CD releases. Many were recorded using their Ambisonics process, which should yield some good test candidates.

Oh, I still miss my old Denon DCD-1520 CD player. That thing was great, and displayed all the meta data info on a CD. I need to pick up one of their newer do everything players for CD (and SACD) support.

yes, the denon lasers had a tendency to fail after a few years, unfortunately. The Pioneer DV-45 and others turned out to be better choices for use with external DAC's because of higher reliability.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #12,823 of 14,566
yes, the denon lasers had a tendency to fail after a few years, unfortunately. The Pioneer DV-45 and others turned out to be better choices for use with external DAC's because of higher reliability.

Yup, I still use a Pioneer DV-563A for multi-format support. Thinking about a Sony UBP-X1100ES too. But, I want to wait for Mike's CD transport to drop first. Curious for details.

Aug 3, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #12,824 of 14,566
Yup, I still use a Pioneer DV-563A for multi-format support. Thinking about a Sony UBP-X1100ES too. But, I want to wait for Mike's CD transport to drop first. Curious for details.
there's also the X800 which might use similar laser mechanism and comes in at about half the price, but it lacks a front panel display. @Baldr +1 on the Schitt Transport

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #12,825 of 14,566
there's also the X800 which might use similar laser mechanism and comes in at about half the price, but it lacks a front panel display. @Baldr +1 on the Schitt Transport

I hate to bring it up here, but I'd need the 1100's analog outputs, for (SACD) support. Otherwise, it's digital connections would route through Schiit DACs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back