What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 15, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #12,167 of 14,566
Woohoo!!! Great news, Mike!!! I am so happy that this chapter is closed and behind you with only great things ahead!! It seems being a stubborn curmudgeon can really pay off!! :D
Mister @Baldr ... I'm pleased you are on the mend. Stay healthy, eh. I'll hoist a Tamnavulin (instead of a Tamiflu injection) in your honour. Greetings from the CN Tower. :flag_ca:

Mar 16, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #12,172 of 14,566
If BullSchiit helps you Mike, we should make it into a mantra for all Schiit owners to support you and your health. Every morning after getting up we should shout it 3 times.
Great to hear you're a fighter and that that helps you fighting health issues in a positive way. Keep fighting, keep improving, keep going
Looking forward to your techy stuff and will keep enjoying your designs every day after I shouted the mantra.
All the best to you.

Mar 16, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #12,174 of 14,566
Welcome back Mike!!

Great story about your dad...thanks for sharing your personal journey with us!

Looking forward to more posts from you on the neat stuff thats in your "head"!!!

Please stay safe with the new crisis the whole country is going thru!

All the best!
Alex

Mar 19, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #12,176 of 14,566
Nice to heave you back, Mike! Keep up the BullSchiit!

Looking forward to the tecchie schiit. It's been a long time and I'm jonesin'

Exactly, especially the new stuff Jason hinted at in his latest chapter(s)! Now that I have a Sol on the way I'm really looking forward to that phono pre! @Baldr if you need beta testers I'm in!

Mar 19, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #12,177 of 14,566
As many of you may already know, one of the long term planned projects planned at Schiit is a processor box with the horsepower to run schiit stuff such as the gadget, dynamic range expanders, etc. etc. One off the directions this leads to is how you connect it to your system – the nearly obvious answers are s/pdif and/or aes plus USB in, and the same for the outputs.

This becomes easy for the S/PDIF and/or AES in and out, as we have extensive experience with both. A unison USB as an input n is also easy for the same reason. We already dunnit. It would seem to be intuitive that USB output would be just as simple as USB input backwards, Well, no. Not so fast.

It seems that it is a whole new exercise in completely different software engineering in a part that the maker of insists will not work for the purpose of implementing digital audio over USB. We do not believe them because we implemented the Unison USB digital audio receiver in the same part, with the same chipmaker's advice. So on we go on, designing the USB transmitter. It will work, but we will have to soldier on without the help of the manufacturer. It will probably take a while, even with Dr. Ivana. It is just another circuit block that we have to to get doneI. Keeps our competitive edge going. Guess I don’t listen sometimes. Bullschiit!

And let me stress, this project is a mid+ to long term project. Too much to catch up on first.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 19, 2020 at 11:31 PM Post #12,178 of 14,566
As many of you may already know, one of the long term planned projects planned at Schiit is a processor box with the horsepower to run schiit stuff such as the gadget, dynamic range expanders, etc. etc. One off the directions this leads to is how you connect it to your system – the nearly obvious answers are s/pdif and/or aes plus USB in, and the same for the outputs.

This becomes easy for the S/PDIF and/or AES in and out, as we have extensive experience with both. A unison USB as an input n is also easy for the same reason. We already dunnit. It would seem to be intuitive that USB output would be just as simple as USB input backwards, Well, no. Not so fast.

It seems that it is a whole new exercise in completely different software engineering in a part that the maker of insists will not work for the purpose of implementing digital audio over USB. We do not believe them because we implemented the Unison USB digital audio receiver in the same part, with the same chipmaker's advice. So on we go on, designing the USB transmitter. It will work, but we will have to soldier on without the help of the manufacturer. It will probably take a while, even with Dr. Ivana. It is just another circuit block that we have to to get doneI. Keeps our competitive edge going. Guess I don’t listen sometimes. Bullschiit!

And let me stress, this project is a mid+ to long term project. Too much to catch up on first.

Sounds like a good place to design the USB output as an add-in card, that (in the v 1.0 version) could be available some time in the future. Meanwhile, press on with prototypes that rely on the already-mastered S/PDIF and AES. My guess is that, as an unprecedented auxiliary function box, this is going to most immediately appeal to the non-economy strata of audio enthusiasts, who are more likely to already have gear that has a variety of input options.

(This from the Dept of "Thinking Today of Things You Probably Realized 12 Months Ago.")

This will work in the digital domain, not the analog, correct? (i.e., pre-DAC, not post-DAC.)

It IS NICE to have you back.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #12,179 of 14,566

It's very good to see you back and pushing those edges of the envelope around…
Staying engaged, especially these days is a decided 'good' thing no matter how you look at it.

But as an intermediate step, couldn't the USB-send functionality be implemented later with a USB card upgrade?
This could mean releasing the DSP box w/o USB-send, but it would still be useful as a functional digital 'enhancement' device for those who normally use SPDIF/AES anyway.
I myself would LOVE to see just how far these DSP routines have come and what the full benefits could be, not to mention the feedback to be gained from users as to how they actually use these 'enhancements' and the results obtained.

Just a thought or 3.

JJ

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #12,180 of 14,566
Today's quarantine playlist was the Karajan Walküre. Vickers was great. No coffee today - recovering from a cold - but Irish breakfast tea was a very smooth drink. Also had a delightful cup of chamomile just a few minutes ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back