What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 20, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #12,181 of 14,566
Today's quarantine playlist was the Karajan Walküre. Vickers was great. No coffee today - recovering from a cold - but Irish breakfast tea was a very smooth drink. Also had a delightful cup of chamomile just a few minutes ago.

Let's see, baldr tech posts, bosie coffee (ok, tea) & Wagner recommendations....

Just what we need at a time like this, everything back to normal. Thanks Guys!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mar 20, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #12,184 of 14,566
Today's quarantine playlist was the Karajan Walküre. Vickers was great. No coffee today - recovering from a cold - but Irish breakfast tea was a very smooth drink. Also had a delightful cup of chamomile just a few minutes ago.

Wagner's music is perfect for long-term quarantines. "Endlose Melodie" It goes on forever.

Mar 20, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #12,185 of 14,566
As many of you may already know, one of the long term planned projects planned at Schiit is a processor box with the horsepower to run schiit stuff such as the gadget, dynamic range expanders, etc. etc. One off the directions this leads to is how you connect it to your system – the nearly obvious answers are s/pdif and/or aes plus USB in, and the same for the outputs.

This becomes easy for the S/PDIF and/or AES in and out, as we have extensive experience with both. A unison USB as an input n is also easy for the same reason. We already dunnit. It would seem to be intuitive that USB output would be just as simple as USB input backwards, Well, no. Not so fast.

It seems that it is a whole new exercise in completely different software engineering in a part that the maker of insists will not work for the purpose of implementing digital audio over USB. We do not believe them because we implemented the Unison USB digital audio receiver in the same part, with the same chipmaker's advice. So on we go on, designing the USB transmitter. It will work, but we will have to soldier on without the help of the manufacturer. It will probably take a while, even with Dr. Ivana. It is just another circuit block that we have to to get doneI. Keeps our competitive edge going. Guess I don’t listen sometimes. Bullschiit!

And let me stress, this project is a mid+ to long term project. Too much to catch up on first.

A dynamic range expander would be a godsend of course. Finally something to win the loudness war. But we can wait. The world has a few other things to cope with first. But after a COVID19 vaccin, a dynamic range expander would be high on the list.

Mar 20, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #12,186 of 14,566
A dynamic range expander would be a godsend of course. Finally something to win the loudness war. But we can wait. The world has a few other things to cope with first. But after a COVID19 vaccin, a dynamic range expander would be high on the list.
If Schiit's going for a one-box-combo-burrito-REDACTED-Pi-GADGET, I'm still curious how it'll be launched without a slick user interface (or operating system for that matter). My hunch is there'll be a mess of buttons on the front and the OS will be locked down... away from ignorant-waranty-voiding-tweakers. Hmmm, a Bifrost 2.x like creation with a little micro-card that allows flashing its system-on-a-chip. Curiouser and curiouser, eh. :ksc75smile:

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #12,188 of 14,566
The quickest one that I’m aware of is the Bohm at 13 hours 42 minutes. I’ve always wanted to listen to it in a Day. Now, I’m usually not up till 10, but I think ring in a day is worth rising early for.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #12,189 of 14,566
Mike,

I am a new owner of a Yggdrasil and I wanted to thank you and your team for creating it. It has provided me hours of joy and pleasure. How much information is extracted from redbook albums I thought I knew front to back for years has been revelatory. Some high end DACs can render sounds from redbook competently but the Yggdrasil makes engrossing music to where I'm up late at night always wanting that next album. There's so many subtle textures and gradations, that lends to a richly dense ebb and flow experience, it is just amazing.

I wish you the best of luck in your continued improvement in health, and hope you and the boys at Schiit are safe during this pandemic. Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for providing a product that has rekindled a love for well worn albums. All the best.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #12,190 of 14,566
It has provided me hours of joy and pleasure. How much information is extracted from redbook albums I thought I knew front to back for years has been revelatory.

I own many pieces of Schiit now. I bought the original Bifrost after reading the NYT review. It was a large improvement over what I had in terms of equipment at the time, and, for better or worse, started me down the often tortuous audiophile path. Yet it wasn't until Yggdrasil that I truly heard my CD collection properly for the first time.

It's obviously subjective and hard to quantify, however, if I were forced to list the most significant Schiit equipment I own, I'd list Yggdrasil first, Aegir a not-to-distant second, and the Freya + close behind.

Thanks for the sneak peek into the multi-gadget, Mike. Thinking about it will be a welcome distraction during these uncertain times. Best to all. Stay safe.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #12,191 of 14,566
I appreciate that Gadget is being developed with the unison out as well as in - but should I assume it will for sure also have aes and spdif as well?

okay Fischer-Dieskau made me weep with his farewell. Onto Siegfried.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #12,192 of 14,566
The quickest one that I’m aware of is the Bohm at 13 hours 42 minutes. I’ve always wanted to listen to it in a Day. Now, I’m usually not up till 10, but I think ring in a day is worth rising early for.
You can find complete Ring cycles on YouTube. Just play them at 2x speed.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #12,193 of 14,566
I appreciate that Gadget is being developed with the unison out as well as in - but should I assume it will for sure also have aes and spdif as well?...

Mike stated:
...One off the directions this leads to is how you connect it to your system – the nearly obvious answers are s/pdif and/or aes plus USB in, and the same for the outputs...

So it appears that he is planning to include AES or S/PDIF, or both in addition to USB.

Mar 20, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #12,194 of 14,566
You can find complete Ring cycles on YouTube. Just play them at 2x speed.

I think I'm going to need Mike's dynamic range expander, and maybe a magical increase bitrate DSP if I wanted to do that...

Mar 21, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #12,195 of 14,566
I've tried a couple times while working but usually only make it about 10 hours. I have the Solti ring Blu Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back