What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 25, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #12,212 of 14,566
Although my music listening is 90% classical, I'm not attracted to opera. The only way I gotten through an opera is when I've followed along with a libretto. Some of the storylines are weird and interesting.

So they do provide a booklet of some sort in Operas, so you can follow what's happening on the stage? I always thought people were somehow supposed to understand what they were singing and yelling about.

Mar 25, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #12,213 of 14,566
So they do provide a booklet of some sort in Operas, so you can follow what's happening on the stage? I always thought people were somehow supposed to understand what they were singing and yelling about.
Most of the major opera houses project supertitles above the stage, translated to the local language:
https://www.npr.org/sections/decept...eep-celebrating-35-years-of-opera-supertitles
During the vinyl era, a libretto booklet was sometimes included with box set releases. For digital releases, it is necessary to seek it out online or at the library. On video, subtitles are usually available.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #12,215 of 14,566
I'm not an opera-phile by any stretch; late Mozart (Cosi, Don, the Flute), late Wagner (Tristan, Ring, Parsifal), late Puccini (Boheme, Tosca , Turandot), and a very few one-off's (Berg's LuLu).
Mostly I'm pure orchestral / chamber.
I'm familiar with the story lines / libretto's of the one's I listen to enough to follow what's going on without aid.
I listen to the voices as just another instrument, I'm not interested so much in the words but the sound of the voices make and how they blend / contrast with the other voices / instruments and how it relates to the action (or lack of action) of the moment.

Mar 25, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #12,216 of 14,566
What, no Apocalypse Now / Ride of the Valkyries?

There was also Siegried's funeral in Excalibur, but that's not quite as memorable.

Am I getting so old the "kids" don't know this anymore?
After seeing Excalibur when it originally came out, I had to get that on CD. Was my first classical CD I ever purchased. Classical music - yes. Opera - um, no.

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #12,217 of 14,566
Mar 25, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #12,219 of 14,566
I can't listen to that piece of music without seeing that scene in my mind.

"If I say it's safe to surf this beach, it's safe to surf this beach!"

Mar 25, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #12,221 of 14,566
New coffee to try:

Eth1.jpgEth2.jpg

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #12,225 of 14,566
That's going back a ways!

I'd have to go with

Superstar was released in 1971, Quadrophenia in 1973, so not that different in terms of "how far back." :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back