What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Mar 21, 2020 at 3:10 AM Post #12,196 of 14,566
I read an article once reviewing the different sound quality of all the different transfers of the Solti ring - that is a rabbit hole I don't think I have the wherewithal to go down. Is it PCM?

Mar 21, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #12,197 of 14,566
I read an article once reviewing the different sound quality of all the different transfers of the Solti ring - that is a rabbit hole I don't think I have the wherewithal to go down. Is it PCM?

It's Decca 478 6748, ASIN: B00NU2LSW4

Here's the description:

DER RING DES NIBELUNGEN
On a single High Fidelity Pure Audio Disc

Containing Wagners libretti, this audiophile edition offers something that is the supreme sound experience of what is generally acknowledged to be the greatest version of Wagner s supreme masterpiece.

Deluxe 300pp hard-back book in black and gold foil with slipcase

Complete libretti in original German with English translation.

1 BluRay Audio disk containing the complete Ring cycle remastered and presented in 24bit High Fidelity Pure Audio.

Sir Georg Solti s recording of Wagner s epic music-drama Der Ring des Nibelungen was a recording project on a scale without precedent and the first-ever studio recording of Wagner s masterpiece. Recorded between September 1958 and November 1965, it was masterminded by legendary producer John Culshaw and his technical team under the direction of chief engineer Gordon Parry. This massive undertaking set new standards in both opera recording and the possibilities of the effective and imaginative use of stereo.
The combination of Sir Georg Solti and the Vienna Philharmonic with an international cast of the greatest Wagnerian singers available resulted in a recording which was greeted with unprecedented enthusiasm and rave reviews and which quickly won numerous international awards.

This release requires a Blu-Ray player, and contains no video content other than an on-screen menu. It plays on a standard Blu-Ray player, and is not restricted regionally in any way.

Mar 21, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #12,198 of 14,566
Mar 21, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #12,199 of 14,566
For those interested here is a link to a good comparison of all the Solti remasters.

https://d2y1pz2y630308.cloudfront.net/21107/documents/2018/8/Soltis Ring Remastered 2013-07-13d.pdf

I have the original London CD edition (Had it on LP at one point) but I prefer this: it is one I like best and is my favorite all-arounder for the cycle. Purchased at Amazon.

1584814690708.png

Could it have been a better remaster? Read the article I linked to get an opinion I agree with.

I forgot, I also have this edition equally good to the above. Its the same remaster but done with BRD and Booklet Libretti.
1584815338661.png

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #12,210 of 14,566
Every time I have tried to listen to Wagner I lose interest after about 10 minutes.
Although my music listening is 90% classical, I'm not attracted to opera. The only way I gotten through an opera is when I've followed along with a libretto. Some of the storylines are weird and interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back