What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Jan 10, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #12,076 of 14,566

She gives Martha Argerich a run for her money. What an extraordinarily sensitive interpreter of every phrase, every inflection. The Bösendorfer is magnificent.

Jan 10, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #12,077 of 14,566
Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #12,079 of 14,566
She gives Martha Argerich a run for her money. What an extraordinarily sensitive interpreter of every phrase, every inflection. The Bösendorfer is magnificent.
I agree, that piano is a perfect match for the piece, and brings her aggressive style alive; musicians are all driven by something... Its not always pretty...

I love the bright voicing of Bösendorfer pianos, almost chimy in the upper range; Really quite lovely. It looked like the action was cooperating with her as well.

Jan 10, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #12,080 of 14,566
.....{{{snip}}}...I haven't heard an Aegir yet, but everyone who has seems to love them. YMMV, but I doubt it. Hands down, Aegir wins this one. Unless you really enjoy trying to figure out what it was that let the Magic Smoke out of your project, diy is for crazy people, or so my wife says...
I knew there was a reason I keep wandering around this thread. Good people give me plenty of background knowledge. I appreciate that, eh. Thanks. :)

Jan 11, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #12,081 of 14,566
I knew there was a reason I keep wandering around this thread. Good people give me plenty of background knowledge. I appreciate that, eh. Thanks. :)

Got that right!

Jan 20, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #12,082 of 14,566
Jan 20, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #12,083 of 14,566
Jan 20, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #12,084 of 14,566
Jan 21, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #12,085 of 14,566
I pulled back my medium 44g shots to a tighter 34g and really appreciate the taste of Square Mile's Sweet Shop as a more standard size shot.

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #12,086 of 14,566
Jan 23, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #12,087 of 14,566
Yet another puzzle assembled by coffee fanatics:

IMG_20200123_170724144.jpg

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #12,088 of 14,566
Jan 27, 2020 at 7:51 AM Post #12,089 of 14,566
OK, I did it again.

Different Sanctus (Mozart Requiem/Karajan), but same sunrise. I came around the bend in the road and had another one of those moments.

I didn't see the Church this time, it's an old hospital on the hill. Maybe last time I saw their chapel. Or maybe it's a church that can only be seen by the first light of Durin's day while listening to a Sanctus. Those wacky elves.

So, before anyone gets any delusions that I am an orchestral music aficionado, let me put that one to rest. This started while watching the recent Watchmen series, and wondering what that music that sounded vaguely familiar was. After some googling the intar-webs, I discovered it was the Lacrimosa to Mozart's Requiem. So I ran off to buy three versions for some comparative listening, and see if I could channel my inner Bosie. So yes, pop culture TV drove me to orchestral music. Yah, I'm that guy that thinks Wagner is the best scene in Apocalypse Now. (No worries, Bosie, your skills are not under any threat from this philistine).

So, I got the Solti/Wiener Philharmonika/Decca. This was sort of my baseline, I don't really have anything to compare it to. It seemed technically competent, but nothing stood out. Maybe because it was my first. Maybe it's ready for another listen.

Next was the Pearlman/Boston Baroque/Telarc. This one seemed to have a bit more feeling, but I didn't really get a feeling of a lot of energy out the performance. I believe this one was done on period instruments, so maybe I'm tuning in on a bunch of music aficionado's performing a labor of love. Maybe I sub-consciously felt a baroque C256/A432 tuning, although that's a stretch, as I'm tone deaf, and on every one of those gadget-y listening tests, I score about as good as the null hypothesis. Might as well take a blind guess (or maybe I am...)

So the third version I got was the Karajan/Berlin Philharmoniker/Deutsche Grammaphone. This one seemed more like the church music it is. Soft tender moments with loud excited moments that feel like they're being played/sung/performed by true believers in a fit of ecstasy. I don't know how they got the recording to generate a sunset outside my car during the Sanctus, but it's got that magic. I could see this drawing the crowds into the cathedrals hundreds of years ago.

So, no sane person would listen to my reviews of music, especially orchestral, but I figure I'd share a little anecdote of the power of music from my day, and a little hit of that drug that has enticed all of us to Schiit's magic to enjoy our trip a little bit more.

Thanks Mike (I hope you're feeling better), and crew.

Feb 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #12,090 of 14,566
Is it just me, or does this new skin feel like windows xp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back