What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Dec 24, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #12,062 of 14,564
Dec 25, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #12,063 of 14,564
Dec 25, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #12,064 of 14,564
IMG_20191225_083322676.jpg
A Christmas treat!

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #12,067 of 14,564
A fascinating coffee tidbit... I was running low on AeroPress filters and bought a new package, and was surprised to see on the label that the company is local to me, in Palo Alto, Califonia.

I looked it up and found this: https://aeropress.com/about/

AeroPress, Inc. is the manufacturer of the AeroPress coffee maker, an innovative coffee press beloved by a multitude of global fans.

The company was founded in 1984 by Alan Adler, a renowned inventor and retired Stanford University engineering instructor, to manufacture and sell his revolutionary sporting goods inventions, including the Aerobie Pro flying ring, which set a Guinness World Record for the longest throw.

In 2004 Alan began studying the coffee brewing process and analyzing coffee maker designs in order to create a truly innovative device that would brew a superior cup of coffee. At a coffee industry trade show in November, 2005, Aerobie debuted its breakthrough AeroPress coffee maker.

Dec 27, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #12,068 of 14,564
A fascinating coffee tidbit... I was running low on AeroPress filters and bought a new package, and was surprised to see on the label that the company is local to me, in Palo Alto, Califonia.

I looked it up and found this: https://aeropress.com/about/

AeroPress, Inc. is the manufacturer of the AeroPress coffee maker, an innovative coffee press beloved by a multitude of global fans.

The company was founded in 1984 by Alan Adler, a renowned inventor and retired Stanford University engineering instructor, to manufacture and sell his revolutionary sporting goods inventions, including the Aerobie Pro flying ring, which set a Guinness World Record for the longest throw.

In 2004 Alan began studying the coffee brewing process and analyzing coffee maker designs in order to create a truly innovative device that would brew a superior cup of coffee. At a coffee industry trade show in November, 2005, Aerobie debuted its breakthrough AeroPress coffee maker.

Mr. Adler regularly participates in this forum thread:

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/coffee/machines/195166?LastView=1577489478&Page=1

Dec 28, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #12,069 of 14,564
Paul Rigby?
. . .
I think maybe he should leave technical descriptions alone.
It doesn't mean you can't believe that for the 6000CDT:- "The leap in quality was quite shocking"

I'll be interested to find out about the Schiit CD transport :thinking:

While proficient with rendering micro-detail, I found the 6000CDT deficient on the macro-scale, resulting in an overly analytic, asynergistic and musically lifeless presentation overall: IMHO the whole is neither greater than--nor even equal to--the sum of its parts.

System: Audiolab 6000CDT-->JPS digital coax-->ifi SPDIF iPurifier-->Chord Qutest [green or red filter; powered with ifi Micro iUSB3.0]-->Neotech UPOCC copper interconnect-->ecp DSHA-3F headphone amplifier[-->Focal Utopia]-->UPOCC power chord-->PS Audio P300 regenerator-->AudioQuest Ultimate Outlet.

Am contemplating the Cambridge Audio CXC transport, or the Pro-Ject CD Box RS-2 T, but will probably just bite the bullet, rip my CDs to lossless and use the USB out. Have had much better fidelity that way in general.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #12,072 of 14,564
I'm confused by the amount of audio woo about class A and D headphone amplifiers. I stumbled across Nelson Pass and his low(er) voltage amplifiers. As I understand it, if I chose to stick my fingers into a fully-powered, case-less Asgard 2, I'm in for a trip to the hospital (and glod help me if I try the same stunt on a Valhalla2). That's Schiit's idea of class A amplifiers (and I'm very pleased with my recent classic-stack purchase... Class A does sound different than my awesome Magni [that's class D? Dunno]). Mr. Pass designed audio amplifiers powered by a laptop-style AC/DC power supply...

...and also...
https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

I'm not ready to try a kit like that. Yet...

tl/dr: Buy an Aegir instead unless you like playing with electronics!! BTW, Schiit does not make anything class D.

I've built two complete Amp Camp Amps so far, the first in two monoblock cases, the second in a larger, single case. They aren't that hard to build, but that's coming from a 65 year old guy with solder burn scars starting from about age 8... I really enjoyed building them, and even collected another solder burn scar.

I've had some time to live with these, and they do sound nice... There is no speaker protection circuit, the operating points are approximate, lots of compromises in order to come up with a design that supervised children could safely build for a reasonable price.

If the Aegir amp was available back when i needed the amps, I would have bought a couple of them. I like diy, I build crazy stuff from time to time, but there is nothing like taking a brand new amp out of a box and setting it up.

A pair of ACA amps (a total of four channels) can be run in monoblock-mono with a balanced input (sound familiar?). That nets about 15 watts Class A per side for a total of about $700 or so, and my time. The ACA can't come out of class A and unashamedly uses a switching power supply and about 1% thd at full power (yikes-a-mundo), but they sound good. This is the magic of a genius-level designer tweaking the circuit while listening.

I wonder how many hours of listening went into the design phase of Aegir?? Probably A LOT. Aegir's have a lot more power, a way more sophisticated circuit design, a linear power supply, a real protection circuit, etc. They also measure a lot better than ACA's. One Aegir will replace both of my ACA amps. And it has a really good warranty from a company that has a fantastic attitude about warranty repairs. And if some kind of fault pops up after the warranty, Schiit will probably be able to repair it for reasonable price. Buy an ACA and you are on your own.

I haven't heard an Aegir yet, but everyone who has seems to love them. YMMV, but I doubt it. Hands down, Aegir wins this one. Unless you really enjoy trying to figure out what it was that let the Magic Smoke out of your project, diy is for crazy people, or so my wife says...

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #12,073 of 14,564
I have built a B1 buffer, Leach Phono Stage, and have an F6 in progress. You need to be comfortable with your hands in the guts of things. That said Mr. Pass's designs are awesome if you have the know how to see it through.

Jan 6, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #12,074 of 14,564
I have built a B1 buffer, Leach Phono Stage, and have an F6 in progress. You need to be comfortable with your hands in the guts of things. That said Mr. Pass's designs are awesome if you have the know how to see it through.
My grand vision for a diy project would be an extremely adaptable preamp/mixer. I'd love to use the B1 buffer, it is quite lovely... What I would really like is a few Nexus™ buffers to play with because some things I do are SE, and some are balanced, and my needs (okay, pie in the sky, unattainable wants...) change regularly. I'm serious about the mixer, with multiple effects sends, aux mixes, etc. I haven't found a pro mixer that fits, and the preamps I've reviewed are too limiting. I'm perfectly comfortable inside live electronic circuits and I keep one hand behind my back (okay, 65kv flyback circuits make me nervous from across the room) and I haven't caused any smoke for quite a while. I really want to make something now, so I'll probably start working on a new '59 5e3 Champ guitar amp, just 'cause they're cool... A serious abuse of perfectly good tubes, cathode biased (I think), pushed out of linearity, and stretched way beyond their limits, all in the name of beautiful music. And I dearly love the sound of that amp with a Rhodes Piano so I should put one those on the list as well. Sigh... I'm beginning to think I might not be the average consumer.

@Baldr, We all miss hearing from you and we all hope your recovery is going well. I'm recovering from back surgery for the last five months. It was a very successful surgery in that they fixed a lot of bad things, but I still can't move around much, and I can't work. I can't get anyone to tell me I'm absolutely going to get better... So, I'm trying to stay busy and adapt. Getting old is not for the faint of heart, but we keep smiling!

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #12,075 of 14,564
My grand vision for a diy project would be an extremely adaptable preamp/mixer. I'd love to use the B1 buffer, it is quite lovely... What I would really like is a few Nexus™ buffers to play with because some things I do are SE, and some are balanced, and my needs (okay, pie in the sky, unattainable wants...) change regularly. I'm serious about the mixer, with multiple effects sends, aux mixes, etc. I haven't found a pro mixer that fits, and the preamps I've reviewed are too limiting. I'm perfectly comfortable inside live electronic circuits and I keep one hand behind my back (okay, 65kv flyback circuits make me nervous from across the room) and I haven't caused any smoke for quite a while. I really want to make something now, so I'll probably start working on a new '59 5e3 Champ guitar amp, just 'cause they're cool... A serious abuse of perfectly good tubes, cathode biased (I think), pushed out of linearity, and stretched way beyond their limits, all in the name of beautiful music. And I dearly love the sound of that amp with a Rhodes Piano so I should put one those on the list as well. Sigh... I'm beginning to think I might not be the average consumer.

You are just an standard issue audio fanatic and are in good company here! Sounds like some interesting plans. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back