What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 17, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #12,106 of 14,566
San Fran, memories of French laundry, saison, and coi. gary danko was nice and I wonder if Henry’s Hunan is still operating. Oh and the most expensive dim sum ever, can’t remember the name. Good times but expensive.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #12,108 of 14,566
I heard rumor Schiit was doing a streamer, but I am curious if they thought about doing a Raspberry Pi HAT? I've noticed there are a few options but in the USA it seems like HifiBerry is the only real player.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #12,109 of 14,566
I heard rumor Schiit was doing a streamer, but I am curious if they thought about doing a Raspberry Pi HAT? I've noticed there are a few options but in the USA it seems like HifiBerry is the only real player.
Schiit have been pretty clear multiple times that they are not in the computer business — which is what a streamer is — with its constant software updates and support issues. In any case, there are well-regarded Pi-based solutions already, including Pi2AES from Pi 2 Design and DigiOne Signature or USBridge Sig from Allo.

Feb 22, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #12,110 of 14,566
Schiit have been pretty clear multiple times that they are not in the computer business — which is what a streamer is — with its constant software updates and support issues. In any case, there are well-regarded Pi-based solutions already, including Pi2AES from Pi 2 Design and DigiOne Signature or USBridge Sig from Allo.
I tried a a couple searches but didn't find anything. I was more interested on a DAC HAT than digital out, but didn't make that clear.

Thanks for the reply.

Feb 22, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #12,111 of 14,566
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #12,112 of 14,566
I really like Pi 2 Designs, having used their 502DAC and Pi2AES devices. They have a DAC on the way:

http://www.pi2design.com/coming-soon.html
It's odd that I never saw their DAC on any sites, but probably just passed it because of the price. What are you using them with software wise?

I'm replacing an Elan whole house system with piCorePlayer/LMS/Squeezebox setup. I have Pi's with dac's for each zone that are just squeezebox players since all the speaker wires are centrally located. Replacing my wall controllers are pi's with 7" touchscreens connected over POE and then some standalone wifi controllers. I'm starting off with 4 zones and then will replace the other 4 zones at a later date. I wanted to do it with Roon, but they do not support Linux/Raspberry Pi as a standalone controller as far as I know.

I may look into something else for my two channel setup once I'm finished with my whole house setup, but I do like the HiFiBerry Dac + Pro. Granted that's my first experience with a DAC and then I bought a Jot and fell into a rabbit hole.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #12,113 of 14,566
It's odd that I never saw their DAC on any sites, but probably just passed it because of the price. What are you using them with software wise?

I'm replacing an Elan whole house system with piCorePlayer/LMS/Squeezebox setup. I have Pi's with dac's for each zone that are just squeezebox players since all the speaker wires are centrally located. Replacing my wall controllers are pi's with 7" touchscreens connected over POE and then some standalone wifi controllers. I'm starting off with 4 zones and then will replace the other 4 zones at a later date. I wanted to do it with Roon, but they do not support Linux/Raspberry Pi as a standalone controller as far as I know.

I may look into something else for my two channel setup once I'm finished with my whole house setup, but I do like the HiFiBerry Dac + Pro. Granted that's my first experience with a DAC and then I bought a Jot and fell into a rabbit hole.
You don't have to wait for the new one. I have made five players with these and I like them better than Hifiberry.

http://www.pi2design.com/502dac.html

As an added bonus, you can bypass the DAC.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #12,114 of 14,566
You don't have to wait for the new one. I have made five players with these and I like them better than Hifiberry.

http://www.pi2design.com/502dac.html

As an added bonus, you can bypass the DAC.
For what I'm doing I don't need a DAC that's that expensive. The Niles speakers in my house aren't great so I went more budget oriented.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #12,115 of 14,566
Pi 2 Design is a small operation that sells by word-of-mouth.

I only use Pi 2 Design for to stream to separate high-end DACs, I don't have experience with the Pi 2 Design DACs itself (I have still a 502DAC around that I have to put up for sale because I'm not using it, but I've been too busy with other stuff). Anyway, I have two Pi2AES setups: 1) Pi 3B +touchscreen+Pi2AES running moOde, for a stand-alone digital source (music on USB SSD); 2) Pi 4B + Pi2AES running RopieeeXL for a Roon endpoint.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 7:58 AM Post #12,117 of 14,566
Pi 2 Design is a small operation that sells by word-of-mouth.

I only use Pi 2 Design for to stream to separate high-end DACs, I don't have experience with the Pi 2 Design DACs itself (I have still a 502DAC around that I have to put up for sale because I'm not using it, but I've been too busy with other stuff). Anyway, I have two Pi2AES setups: 1) Pi 3B +touchscreen+Pi2AES running moOde, for a stand-alone digital source (music on USB SSD); 2) Pi 4B + Pi2AES running RopieeeXL for a Roon endpoint.

I'm curious how Schiit intends to market its (supposed?) transport. Will they bolt on one of the above systems-on-a-chip boards? With their gadget installed on it? My Chromebook's okay for streaming from my externally-powered router-attached Netgear box. However, I can't tweak my player (unlike MintOS, ChromeOS locks that out in my case). ChromeOS's version of Foobar2000 & VLC is... meh... it's really designed for portable Android phones... not a laptop.

About half my listening is via streaming 'casts from YouTube and other off-site servers. The other half is from my network-connected mechanical hard-drives.

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #12,118 of 14,566
I'm curious how Schiit intends to market its (supposed?) transport. Will they bolt on one of the above systems-on-a-chip boards? With their gadget installed on it? ...

The transport is primarily designed to play Redbook CDs; however, in earlier posts in this thread Mike Moffat 'Baldr' has given hints about it potentially having additional capabilities and also about the processing needs.

Post on 25 Feb 2019
Chapter Two: USB Questions

Now that we have a USB input section of our own design in solid beta for the Schiit line, what about the USB host (output) section?

Are we working on it? Yes!

Is it complete? No, still pre-alpha.

For what application(s)? Well, initially the Schiit transport.

Will you make a card for PCs with this host circuit? Nope, never. Even if I thought it were brilliant to enable competitors’ gear it would be a nightmare to support.

Post on 20 May 2019
The transport is awaiting Ivana’s holiday return from Serbia. She needs to finish the auto USB speed switch. Why do we need a USB speed auto switch for a 44.1 K transport?? Mwahaha!

Post on 2 Sep 2019
3. Gadget

Hasn’t been much said about the gadget lately, There are a few of reasons it has not yet been released. The best one is that it is not finished yet. So what is not finished? After all, we demoed one a couple of years ago, no? Indeed, we did but the algorithm was written into an Analog Devices DSP processor, a processor unsuited to allow the algorithm to run properly. It was gimped to fit into what we had at the moment. We got lucky because it demoed well. What we really need to do this right is a much faster, non DSP hardware base. The DSP platforms we build now are suitable for digital filter implementation. The gadget’s as well as a couple of other feature type goodies we have built need to run on a much, much faster platforms which are NOT optimized for digital filters.. Much faster than any other processor which will run openBSD.
We have a requirement for a not quite that fast processor for our upcoming transport. The fact that the processor will have some bonus apps and features will require that speed. At that time we will be much closer to the processor requirements for the gadget/signal processor functions.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #12,119 of 14,566
Any new rumors of progress on the CD Transport? I’m about to add a second Aegir and upgrade to Bifrost 2. If anyone is in market for a Like new Saga OG with a bunch of great tubes, a like new Mani or a like new Bifrost gen 5 MB, hit me up in PM. I’ll make you a great deal

Mar 1, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #12,120 of 14,566
The transport is primarily designed to play Redbook CDs; however, in earlier posts in this thread Mike Moffat 'Baldr' has given hints about it potentially having additional capabilities and also about the processing needs.

Post on 25 Feb 2019

Post on 20 May 2019

Post on 2 Sep 2019
...splashing cold water on my face...
It might be a loooong time before we see this device. That's too bad. :triportsad: My discs remain ripped to hard drives, inventoried, wrapped into bankers' boxes, and stored in a dark closet. Is my Chromebook good enough for feeding my Bifrost multibit? Sure. :ksc75smile: Are several features in Foobar2000 and VLC for AndroidOS locked out? Yep. I like tinkering with 'the source'. When ChromeOS support ends, I'll install MintOS to regain tweakiness. If I ever decide to DIY, I'll pick up a Pi & a tiny LCD touch screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back