What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 7, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #11,642 of 14,566
Gosh, hope no one took "obsessive" as derogatory, surely wasn't meant that way. We are on an audiophile forum, where we endlessly parse the microconcerns of a hobby which leaves normal people mystified (as in "You spent how-fripping much on a DAC? And what's a DAC, anyway?")

Just struck by the range of "normal" human behavior. Almost everyone likes music, but most are content to listen to an MP3 on the phone via $2 earbuds. Compare that to using your best surgeon's touch to gently lower the stylus onto a slab of freshly cleaned, dried and de-static-ified vinyl which may have cost more than you dare tell the spouse, then sprinting to sit in the sweet spot for perhaps 18 minutes before you have to get up and turn the disc over.

And there's a similar order-of-magnitude difference in dedication between gulping a Styrofoam cup of whatever's in the breakroom pot, versus tracking down a source for beans grown by monks on a mist-shrouded mountain, keeping the beans in cryogenic storage before roasting them in a countertop autoclave that holds a temperature to within .1 degee C and times with an atomic clock, placing the warm beans in a grinder that's better engineered than most German cars, then rushing - quick, before the ambient air in the kitchen turns the grind rancid! - to get the result into a device that might have been designed by NASA engineers who were feeling steampunk and which cost more than some cars, and going through all that before 8 a.m.

Surely, obsessive is not too strong a word....
Can you be my therapist please? Your pragmatic view on life is refreshing.

Sep 7, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #11,643 of 14,566
As amply demonstrated by all the coffee obsessives on this thread, we do love our rituals...

When discussing "obsessive", we must never forget the "compulsive" aspect of the disorder. My Belle-grinder for $27 and my Mr.Coffee machine were first approved by my counselor at Mental Health, as "an improvement". I had fallen into full-blown OCD, as I attempted to keep up with my peers in the Audiophilia-Caffeine Nervosa subset. Elimination of the hand-grinding the beans, which was bordering upon insanity-- thank goodness for Amazon and an electric alternative and the gramme scale accurate to .01.

I knew I had shifted from the Road to Perdition to the road to recovery, when I drank some coffee from the Seven-eleven and did not collapse into a fetal position, sobbing like a wounded child.

"All things in moderation..." I heard his voice telling me.

I really thought that switching from a single source, ethically harvested beans from the leeward side of an obscure island in the Maldives was a sign of progress until I realized that even Eight O'Clock Coffee has multiple choices of the whole bean...Damn Choices...

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #11,644 of 14,566
Pietro, as your current therapist, I urge you to remember my advice: Don't sweat the small stuff and remember that ultimately it's all small stuff.

You will receive my bill soon.

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #11,645 of 14,566
Pietro, as your current therapist, I urge you to remember my advice: Don't sweat the small stuff and remember that ultimately it's all small stuff.

So you are a therapist who follows David Lee Roth, instead of Sigmund Freud or Carl Jung! :wink:

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #11,646 of 14,566
So you are a therapist who follows David Lee Roth, instead of Sigmund Freud or Carl Jung! :wink:
Dr. Roth knows more about life than either of those charlitains you mention. :)

Sep 7, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #11,647 of 14,566
I’m just enjoying my coffee made with Aeropress and Wilfa electric grinder. Beans are from roasteries located in the nearby big cities. Best coffee I’ve ever had.

Truly the Schiit approach to making coffee. Inexpensive and delicious.

Sep 7, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #11,648 of 14,566
david-eddie-charlotte-corbis-630-85.jpg

Sep 7, 2019 at 6:15 PM Post #11,649 of 14,566

Here's some cheap therapy from a Dr. Bob Marley.

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #11,650 of 14,566
Sep 8, 2019 at 11:38 AM Post #11,651 of 14,566

While I am qualified to be a therapist, that is to say that I am completely screwed up, I am also retired. Or just tired.

However, my free advice is a particularly good value.

And I agree, everything in moderation.

Especially moderation.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #11,652 of 14,566
Filter coffee (“pour over” as we Americans call it) should precede espresso.

If you drink the espresso first the fc tastes like hot water

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #11,653 of 14,566
Sep 8, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #11,654 of 14,566

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #11,655 of 14,566

I think I'll stay with you. You're the only one who's not bothered by my therapy resistant life style.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back