What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Sep 6, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #11,626 of 14,566
I thought coffee was just normal behavior. Kind of like using the bathroom (come to think of it coffee causes me to use the bathroom). :astonished:
It is but this thread is also an international "tour de force" to get Bosie on the Yggdrasil.

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #11,627 of 14,566
Sep 6, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #11,628 of 14,566
Hoping to get on that train myself, eventually.
Nike-Just-Do-It_dezeen_sq.jpg

Sep 6, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #11,630 of 14,566
Sipping siphon made etheopian sidamo.

My mind was trying really hard to parse that as a palindrome. Guess I need more coffee.

Baldr: nice to have you back for an update. We appreciate you pushing through the difficulty that typing requires of you. Keep designing nice digital goodies and feed our multibit addicitions!

Sep 7, 2019 at 4:41 AM Post #11,633 of 14,566
I am already convinced now i just have to convince my wallet
Just had a conversation with my wallet, it was very clear that rebuilding our house (yes also the audio space has/shall be touched) has priority and the wallet also used the Bifrost2 as an argument...still one month rebuild plus a couple of weeks organizing the house to go...hmmm almost 2020, perhaps wise to wait for the new usb and new gungnir: complete rethink of a small Yggdrasil???? :ksc75smile:

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #11,638 of 14,566
I thought coffee was just normal behavior. Kind of like using the bathroom (come to think of it coffee causes me to use the bathroom). :astonished:

Gosh, hope no one took "obsessive" as derogatory, surely wasn't meant that way. We are on an audiophile forum, where we endlessly parse the microconcerns of a hobby which leaves normal people mystified (as in "You spent how-fripping much on a DAC? And what's a DAC, anyway?")

Just struck by the range of "normal" human behavior. Almost everyone likes music, but most are content to listen to an MP3 on the phone via $2 earbuds. Compare that to using your best surgeon's touch to gently lower the stylus onto a slab of freshly cleaned, dried and de-static-ified vinyl which may have cost more than you dare tell the spouse, then sprinting to sit in the sweet spot for perhaps 18 minutes before you have to get up and turn the disc over.

And there's a similar order-of-magnitude difference in dedication between gulping a Styrofoam cup of whatever's in the breakroom pot, versus tracking down a source for beans grown by monks on a mist-shrouded mountain, keeping the beans in cryogenic storage before roasting them in a countertop autoclave that holds a temperature to within .1 degee C and times with an atomic clock, placing the warm beans in a grinder that's better engineered than most German cars, then rushing - quick, before the ambient air in the kitchen turns the grind rancid! - to get the result into a device that might have been designed by NASA engineers who were feeling steampunk and which cost more than some cars, and going through all that before 8 a.m.

Surely, obsessive is not too strong a word....

Sep 7, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #11,639 of 14,566
Gosh, hope no one took "obsessive" as derogatory, surely wasn't meant that way. We are on an audiophile forum, where we endlessly parse the microconcerns of a hobby which leaves normal people mystified (as in "You spent how-fripping much on a DAC? And what's a DAC, anyway?")

Just struck by the range of "normal" human behavior. Almost everyone likes music, but most are content to listen to an MP3 on the phone via $2 earbuds. Compare that to using your best surgeon's touch to gently lower the stylus onto a slab of freshly cleaned, dried and de-static-ified vinyl which may have cost more than you dare tell the spouse, then sprinting to sit in the sweet spot for perhaps 18 minutes before you have to get up and turn the disc over.

And there's a similar order-of-magnitude difference in dedication between gulping a Styrofoam cup of whatever's in the breakroom pot, versus tracking down a source for beans grown by monks on a mist-shrouded mountain, keeping the beans in cryogenic storage before roasting them in a countertop autoclave that holds a temperature to within .1 degee C and times with an atomic clock, placing the warm beans in a grinder that's better engineered than most German cars, then rushing - quick, before the ambient air in the kitchen turns the grind rancid! - to get the result into a device that might have been designed by NASA engineers who were feeling steampunk and which cost more than some cars, and going through all that before 8 a.m.

Surely, obsessive is not too strong a word....

Not too strong for me. I AM obsessed with audio and coffee - and loving it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back