What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter)
Feb 8, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #9,916 of 14,566
Beethoven's violin concerto arranged for the piano is some weird schiit. It's one of those things I know is a thing, but I tend to forget...I vastly prefer it for the native violin.
Your comment reminded me of Glenn Gould's interpretation of The Goldberg Variations (1955, 1981 [wild redo]). Mr. Gould was a local boy (Toronto). He was an odd duck (my Modi & Vali pick out all of his weird humming, and swaying back and forth). And brilliant... man oh man. That man had talent!

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #9,917 of 14,566
Your comment reminded me of Glenn Gould's interpretation of The Goldberg Variations (1955, 1981 [wild redo]). Mr. Gould was a local boy (Toronto). He was an odd duck (my Modi & Vali pick out all of his weird humming, and swaying back and forth). And brilliant... man oh man. That man had talent!
I got switched on to Bach by Walter (Wendy) Carlos :slight_smile:
I used to listen to the Brandenburg Concertos when programming.

For some reason I really wanted the Goldberg Variations, not many music shops near where I lived, so when I finally found it on CD I just bought it, when I got home I was very disappointed to find it was on piano :disappointed:
Since then I have bought a boxed set of the complete works, so I now have it on harpsichord so I'm happy.

Would be happier if I could face ripping all those discs :confounded:

Feb 8, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #9,918 of 14,566

For some reason I really wanted the Goldberg Variations, not many music shops near where I lived, so when I finally found it on CD I just bought it, when I got home I was very disappointed to find it was on piano :disappointed:
Since then I have bought a boxed set of the complete works, so I now have it on harpsichord so I'm happy.

Mr. Gould was what we call in pedagogy (my peers call this the science of teaching [I call it Mel Brook's Stand-up Philosophy {a bullschiit artist}]), severely gifted. We named a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) theatre after him. Very squirrely indeed.

BTW, I respect your reluctance to rip and tear discs. There's something about spinning CDs that I still like, eh.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #9,919 of 14,566

I got hooked on Bach when I was a teenager and discovered Don Dorsey's Bachbusters, man was that a subwoofer test!

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #9,920 of 14,566
Apologies are in order to Mr Moffatt - I listened to KSE1500 through Bifrost multibit last night and I finally begin to hear the superiority over the internal DS DAC. DAC technology is subtle.

Just suffered through a dreadful Beethoven violin concerto at the philharmonia baroque. The soloist was flat the whole first movement, and though she tuned before they started the larghetto, the squeaks and ill-executed runs persisted through till the end.

Nevertheless the Schubert 6th symphony was amazing. The last movement less of an allegro moderato than an allegro vivace - but nick mcgeggan was inspired on the podium.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #9,921 of 14,566
Mr. Gould was what we call in pedagogy (my peers call this the science of teaching [I call it Mel Brook's Stand-up Philosophy {a bullschiit artist}]), severely gifted. We named a CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) theatre after him. Very squirrely indeed.

Here's an entertaining exploration of the outtakes from Gould's recording with Robert Harris and Michael Enright from our CBC Sunday Morning program - well worth a listen if you're interested in Glenn Gould, recording or wrong notes in recordings:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundaye...m-glenn-gould-s-goldberg-variations-1.4484727

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #9,922 of 14,566
Here's an entertaining exploration of the outtakes from Gould's recording with Robert Harris and Michael Enright from our CBC Sunday Morning program - well worth a listen if you're interested in Glenn Gould, recording or wrong notes in recordings:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundaye...m-glenn-gould-s-goldberg-variations-1.4484727
Unfortunately the CBC broadcast seems to be blocked from playing in the US. Here is the NY Times review of the outtakes album, and includes sample tracks:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/arts/music/glenn-gould-bach-goldberg-variations.html
The reviewer notes that only the most obsessed Gould fan will sit through 5 hours of outtakes (for a 38 minute album!) including 13 takes of the opening aria, but nevertheless the album provides valuable insight into Gould's creative process.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #9,923 of 14,566
Feb 10, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #9,924 of 14,566
Question - if Schiit DACs were designed for Redbook, does it mean using the hi-res audio formats is sub-optimal (assuming the same source/mastering/etc)?

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #9,925 of 14,566
Question - if Schiit DACs were designed for Redbook, does it mean using the hi-res audio formats is sub-optimal (assuming the same source/mastering/etc)?
Not in my experience. High-res audio sounds great through my Schiit DACs.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #9,926 of 14,566
I love my Gungnir MB Gen 5 with high res, only problem is awful high res, case in point; James Taylor Mud Slide Slim I purchased that was just awful. Sounded like a 128 mp3 converted to flac, It can be ugly out there.

Feb 10, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #9,927 of 14,566
"Designed for Redbook" mainly means that the Schiit proprietary upsampling filter was designed to make Redbook material sound as natural as possible. As you move to higher sample rates, the filter has less to do (fewer new samples to create between the source samples) so its effect is more subtle. The best way to hear the difference is to compare with a good NOS R2R DAC (like the Holo Spring or the Metrum Onyx) at the same price point as the Yggdrasil. Redbook sounds quite different to my ears, but I can't hear much difference at 2x or 4x sample rates. For Redbook, the Yggdrasil has more subtlety and balance and capture fine high-frequency detail better, while the NOS DACs give a bolder, "primary colors" rendering with less high-frequency detail. As it is, I'm partial to NOS DACs (currently Metrum Onyx) for my headphone listening, but the Yggdrasil rules my speaker system.

Feb 11, 2019 at 1:32 PM Post #9,928 of 14,566
I love my Gungnir MB Gen 5 with high res, only problem is awful high res, case in point; James Taylor Mud Slide Slim I purchased that was just awful. Sounded like a 128 mp3 converted to flac, It can be ugly out there.

Yep. I purchased the high-res Diana Krall / Tony Bennett work last year. It is just aweful sounding.

Diana Krall stuff is usually well done, but wow did the sound engineers butcher that album.

Feb 11, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #9,929 of 14,566
I have but one survey question, which is what are your 3-5 desert island discs?
I know this is an old post I'm responding to, but I've just started reading this thread at the beginning on page 1 and have made it to page 198. I think there's another 500 or so to catch up..... BUT as a CDaholic, I couldn't pass up this question.

1. Bruckner Symphony No 4, Chicago Symphony with Solti (not Barenboim). This is actually my coma piece - I've told my wife that if I'm on life support and she plays the end of the 1st movement and gets no response from me, she can pull the plug!! I'd probably grab this one on the way to the desert island (but I do have 36 other Bruckner 4th.....)

2. Niklas Eklund's Art of the Baroque Trumpet series, particularly Volume 2 Baroque Duetter - the trumpet and voice!!! (aside - this is not played on modern trumpets and the trumpets of the period were significantly different in sound than the trumpets of today)

3. Mahler Symphony No. 5 (OK, I'm a trumpet player...) I've got box sets of the symphonies by Chicago, Vienna, Royal Concertgebouw, Lucerne Festival, London Symphony, Bavarian Radio, Philharmonia, as well as many other recordings of this piece (52 total.... I said I was a CDaholic!!). And my favorite? Depends on when I'm going to the desert island - which one I'd pick that day. I guess I'd always start with Chicago Symphony with Barenboim - available on DVD

4. I suppose I'd have to have some Maynard Ferguson also. Live in San Francisco comes to mind, also Chameleon or Big Bob Nouveau

5. To stay awake driving at night, I'm partial to Blood Sweat & Tears, particularly the second album and the great trumpet solo on Spinning Wheel that was a real inspiration

This is VERY difficult to limit to just 5. I think I'd try to sneak in my hard drive with Flac files on it.....

Just thought of one more I'd probably HAVE to add.... Chicago Symphony with Reiner recording of Ein Heldenleben. Listened to the record so many times when I listen to the CD I still want to stand up and turn the record over!!! Wait, I'd probably need some other Strauss also (Don Juan, Don Quixote, Alpine symphony, Also Sprach....

I'm going to stop and not edit this again.... I don't think I can do it - limit to 5

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #9,930 of 14,566
Yep. I purchased the high-res Diana Krall / Tony Bennett work last year. It is just aweful sounding.

Diana Krall stuff is usually well done, but wow did the sound engineers butcher that album.

I have most of DK's stuff in hi-res (24-96/192) and it is outstanding. I bought the downloads from ProStudioMasters and am happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back